Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I prefer the Apple that gets people to buy its products through innovation.

Not the one that guards every cent that it can squeeze out of them.

Well unfortunately that Apple died with Steve Jobs. Welcome to Tim Crook's Apple where they listen to spreadsheets more than their actual customers.

Remember: Courage.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Tell that to Android phone users robbed of billions of dollars by fake apps.

Oh honey you do not want to go there. That is a fight you will lose

jakey rolling

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2022
When will SONY, NINTENDO and Microsoft open their gaming platforms? When will they be able to install any games outside of their store and license?
Will the EU deal with this?
Once this is in place for smartphones and other general purpose computing devices, then perhaps they will move on to gaming and other entertainment-focused devices. I'm sure you can appreciate why the former are far more important to regulate than the latter, though.

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
just a reminder to everyone here, the Mac, which I assume many of us love, allows for Apps to be downloaded from the App Store, or from online with verification for security, but we are able to disable the verification. I feel very safe using my Mac. iPhone has to open up. I assume it will be similar to the Mac and hopefully everything will be OK or even better
Just note.
1) The Mac OS is not as popular a platform as iOS is. And historically doesn't get the attention like Windows does for attacks/hacks/malware/Trojans/Virus/ransomware/etc. Not that it "can't" or that it doesn't. But they are FAR lower than on Windows.
2) iOS being mostly locked down from the start AND pretty popular. Still doesn't suffer from the same level of attacks as Android or Windows. Because it is behind a firewall (the AppStore). AND, you can't install software as easily as you can on Mac OS or any other platform. Not that you "can't" force something on there. Or that there are no Zero Day exploits that can bypass protections. Just that it isn't as much of an issue for most any user to avoid without having to think about it.

Your safety is partially due to there just being fewer "things" attacking the Mac platform. AND you still have to confirm and allow and allow and allow on the Mac to get something that isn't 100% from a known legit publisher/developer installed.
It really doesn't take much work to get too many people to do things on their devices that will allow malware in. Email links, text message links will start to flood in. People that get hit with spam calls and text, this will allow more entry into a device that simply didn't have to worry about it before. And the big reason for that is how many people have iPhones. It will be a bigger target worth attempting to hack into.

So to be "safe", yes stick with the AppStore and never click on anything you don't know 100%. But, the attempts to trick iOS users will increase and many will unfortunately find out the hard way what this new ability will cost them.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
This is not a smart idea. People do have options like Android or jailbreak their iPhones. No one needs this people just say they want it.
I'm willing to be that a lot of people who live in dictatorial countries (i.e. China) don't just want this but need this if they want to be able to get around China's great firewall.

Even Apple expressed their concerns about this.

Of course, if Apple had to choose between Apple App store control and profits vs allowing people to download/install apps outside of their App Store, Apple will choose the former.

Just because you don't need this doesn't mean others don't. In other words, don't speak for others.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
When will SONY, NINTENDO and Microsoft open their gaming platforms? When will they be able to install any games outside of their store and license?

Game consoles are a highly competitive market and are generally sold at cost where they make up their revenue in software sales, and there are other alternative markets aside from game consoles like PC and mobile. This isn't like with smartphones where there are literally only two mobile operating systems, iOS and Android, and iOS software distribution is controlled solely by Apple and Apple alone.

• Love
Reactions: Lyrics23

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
"We remain very concerned about the privacy and data security risks the DMA poses for our users."
🥹 How cute. We're concerned for Apple Inc.'s well-being too! But the ability to download and install developer-signed apps directly from the internet hasn't yet killed macOS and won't harm iOS either. Actually, I might want to switch to Android in the future, if the golden cage remains locked shut. So it's only in Apple's best interest to play nice with the EU.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
This is not a smart idea. People do have options like Android or jailbreak their iPhones. No one needs this people just say they want it. Few will actually use it and it opens everyone else up to more security and privacy issues.

Instead of alternate app stores offer better payment options for the developers and other ways to transact their Apps. For all the hate the App store gets for its vetting process I guarantee it will be much worse when installing apps from outside of the store. Image Facebook doesn’t have to abide by the App Store policies and posts Apps that harvest more data and didn’t get vetted by Apple because they don’t have to. iOS can only do so much against smart developers. Now image the app isn’t free like FB and they want your data. They offer a cheaper one through an alternative site that collects even more data. People will flock to the discounted one not knowing they are giving up more of their info.

People store way more of their personal information on their phones as opposed to their computers. Your computer doesn’t also follow you around to everywhere you go for location data. All of this is stuff that people want to protect against for many good reasons. Thinking the iPhone is just like the Mac is ignorant thinking and Apple themselves said that if they could’ve done it differently they would’ve had a closed system on Macs but it was a much earlier time.

Giving people choice is important but forcing this on people is not allowing them to choose either. There are a lot of people who like the Apple ecosystem but don’t realize the reasons they like it so much is because of these policies. Breaking down these protections will inevitably make it worse. So if people really want a choice then choose Android. Many haven’t because they don’t trust that system, they don’t like their ecosystem, or they just been with Apple since the start.
Allowing side loading is developers and consumers way to leverage their opinion of the AppStore. Android isn’t a choice, iOS isn’t a choice either, but you do choose what phone you’re using. And only other iPhones are available choices. But if you have an galaxy phone you can get a pixel, note, vivo, , pixel etc and use the exact same play store/ apps, or use the Amazon play store, galaxy store etc etc

• Angry
Reactions: strongy

XXPP

Suspended
Jun 30, 2019
Oh honey you do not want to go there. That is a fight you will lose

These are things that don't matter. There are no fake bank apps where you can lose all your savings. You don't know this problem, so don't comment.
In many countries, there is a huge problem of people being cheated by fake bank employees who encourage people to install applications from outside the official Google store. Android makes this possible. This will be the case with iOS soon.

XXPP

Suspended
Jun 30, 2019
Once this is in place for smartphones and other general purpose computing devices, then perhaps they will move on to gaming and other entertainment-focused devices. I'm sure you can appreciate why the former are far more important to regulate than the latter, though.
I have an Android phone. Many service and application producers remove their applications from the official store and want you to install their store. It's the same on PC. You must have applications from several different distributors installed to purchase and play the game. On iOS it was perfectly simplified. There was no way to lose money because Apple was responsible for payments.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
By the way, if you had this on your calendar like I did you'll recall that this is literally the last day they could have filed this appeal. And considering the time in Europe, they seem to have waited until the literally the last minute. They are going to drag this out every second they legally can.

• Sad

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
They already do that. They have a mix of physical stores in different establishments. Developers.

And comeback when they have many more customers. About 40million in EU alone to even be considered a gatekeeper. Plus they must have a dominant market position

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
So those that disagree. You would rather stay on a platform that you don't like? And or doesn't offer you what you want?

I think what he's trying to say is...

1700239015394.jpeg

Always a compelling argument. (please tell me /s is implied.)

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
These are things that don't matter. There are no fake bank apps where you can lose all your savings. You don't know this problem, so don't comment.
There are/have been fake financial apps on Apple's App Store.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I told them they could impliment sideloading now or be forced to kicking and screaming. I see Apple chose the kicking and screaming route. My favorite 🍿

Man the sideloading update can't come fast enough. I can't wait. I'll probably upgrade my iPhone when it arrives.

Sorry to be that guy today but:

1700239201537.jpeg

Look Apple's behavior lately just reminds me of cartoon characters, what can I say?

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
Game consoles are a highly competitive market and are generally sold at cost where they make up their revenue in software sales, and there are other alternative markets aside from game consoles like PC and mobile. This isn't like with smartphones where there are literally only two mobile operating systems, iOS and Android, and iOS software distribution is controlled solely by Apple and Apple alone.
Well to be fair pc isn’t part of the same market. And the fact they are sold at cost isn’t relevant as they must have a dominant position
A dominant position is ‘a position of economic strength enjoyed by an undertaking which enables it to prevent effective competition being maintained on the relevant market by giving it the power to behave to an appreciable extent independently of its competitors, customers and ultimately of its consumers

tomnavratil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
Sideloading is long overdue however some parts of DMA are a mess and could create new threat vectors for regular users; trying to make everything compatible with everything and opening up certain private APIs ane Apple Pay for example is not exactly a great idea.

In terms of the sideloading, as long as users agree to the risks involved and are OK with them, let them do it. However if they run into issues with sideloaded apps, Apple should not get the blame.

• Angry
Reactions: strongy

jakey rolling

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2022
I have an Android phone. Many service and application producers remove their applications from the official store and want you to install their store. It's the same on PC. You must have applications from several different distributors installed to purchase and play the game. On iOS it was perfectly simplified. There was no way to lose money because Apple was responsible for payments.
I have an Android phone and have encountered exactly zero instances of software developers insisting that I install their store or side-load their app. Which ones are you encountering specifically?

The only instance I've run into where I have chosen to side-load an Android app was for a specialized warehouse management system that ties into a client's ERP. The only reason for doing so was to ensure that the version installed on the Android hand-held scanners remains compatible with their server software (it is a big job to upgrade such software, so it is only done once every few years). This is an isolated system with a single special purpose, and side-loading was optional (the scanner app is installable from the Google app store, but it would require a Google account and would run the risk of being auto-updated, neither of which is ideal on such a device).

tomnavratil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
And another point for the discussion — which parts of the system you need to open up vs. what can you claim as your USP and part of the OS.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
This is not a smart idea. People do have options like Android or jailbreak their iPhones. No one needs this people just say they want it. Few will actually use it and it opens everyone else up to more security and privacy issues.

Instead of alternate app stores offer better payment options for the developers and other ways to transact their Apps. For all the hate the App store gets for its vetting process I guarantee it will be much worse when installing apps from outside of the store. Image Facebook doesn’t have to abide by the App Store policies and posts Apps that harvest more data and didn’t get vetted by Apple because they don’t have to. iOS can only do so much against smart developers. Now image the app isn’t free like FB and they want your data. They offer a cheaper one through an alternative site that collects even more data. People will flock to the discounted one not knowing they are giving up more of their info.

People store way more of their personal information on their phones as opposed to their computers. Your computer doesn’t also follow you around to everywhere you go for location data. All of this is stuff that people want to protect against for many good reasons. Thinking the iPhone is just like the Mac is ignorant thinking and Apple themselves said that if they could’ve done it differently they would’ve had a closed system on Macs but it was a much earlier time.

Giving people choice is important but forcing this on people is not allowing them to choose either. There are a lot of people who like the Apple ecosystem but don’t realize the reasons they like it so much is because of these policies. Breaking down these protections will inevitably make it worse. So if people really want a choice then choose Android. Many haven’t because they don’t trust that system, they don’t like their ecosystem, or they just been with Apple since the start.

jailbreak = exploit that provides root access to the device

"sideloading" != root access

Android does not provide root access to the device, and has SafetyNet to ensure that developer devices which do can't use root to lie about things that have to be trustworthy.

I get your point but I think your logic is flawed, and would have been the exact reverse 20 years ago when all the information was on the "PC." It doesn't matter which is the primary device, or what data is where. The same protections should apply.

Apple has been moving toward this by locking down the Mac to the extent that while there is still root access, it doesn't do any good as the system won't function if even one bit is modified. The permissions system is so extensive people complain that it's annoying. The iPhone is even more locked down and none of that has to change one bit based on where the software comes from.

Apple can still require a valid developer certificate for the application to execute. Apple is still in full control here. This is just about who gets paid and how much.

Edit: if anyone actually reads this, I'll admit that I did gloss over the issues of editorial control and scanning for security vulnerabilities. One could argue that Epic demonstrated that the security scanning isn't very effective as content can simply be loaded after the fact. And Apple still has on-device security checking capabilities.

And as for editorial control, one could argue that Apple has demonstrably used that as a discriminatory weapon against developers they didn't like for business or personal reasons, and that again there they have not even been effective in enforcing their own policies.

So, as to whether it is legal for Apple to use something like developer certificates to enforce those policies anyway...

1700240500775.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Sophisticatednut

jakey rolling

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2022
the fact they are sold at cost isn’t relevant
In the case of game consoles, that fact is very much relevant. It has probably been brought to the EU's attention that if they did ever bring about a similar type of regulation to the game console market, such a regulation would have the potential of making game consoles uncompetitive for their manufacturers. The result would either be that they become far more expensive than they are now, or some of those manufacturers would go out of business (or, most likely, both). Neither of those things would be good for consumers, and so such a regulation would be self-defeating.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021

And one could make the argument that these are supposed to be general purpose computers, as opposed to game consoles which everyone can agree is a locked down device for a specific purpose.

It's very important that we not conflate the two. I don't want to lose general purpose computers and only be issued locked down toys which can only perform approved actions. Which is dangerously close to where we are headed. Not just with Apple but also the industry in general.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.