Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MOIVGSTER

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Davis Ca
Hi I have a g4 mac and i called apple today to ask them if i would be able to get a restore cd but they said i couldn't get one through them but i could get one though a company called megamac.com or something like that but it would cost around 50 to 70 dollars to get a restore cd but so would it be worth fixing this computer or would i be just better off getting a new computer.
Oh and apple also said the computer was considered vintage and thats why they didn't have the cd.

longwood

macrumors regular
May 10, 2005
Why do you need the restore disc to begin with? You should be able to pick up a copy of Tiger for a lot cheaper than that.

pubjoe

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
In your circumstance, where apple has basically told you that they've dropped support and you're on your own, I'd feel no guilt in going to a torrent search engine and searching for the words "OS X TIGER".

You are already entitled to this software (a non-working version of it is presumably still on YOUR hdd), so sod it - if apple have abandoned you then download another copy of your OS.

Last edited:

MOIVGSTER

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Davis Ca
In your circumstance, where apple has basically told you that they've dropped support and you're on your own, I'd feel no guilt in going to a torrent search engine and searching for the words "OS X TIGER".

You are already entitled to this software (a non-working version of it is presumably still on YOUR hdd), so sod it - if apple have abandoned you then download another copy of your OS.

is it possible to install a newer version of mac os x like snow leopard or something. if not do you know how to install os x tiger on a disc and how to install it on the computer.
btw what will it do when i reinstall tiger.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
You probably want to look on ebay or craigslist and find a DVD for 10.4 or 10.5 those will work with your computer, once you've got the disk it will be easy to install, just insert the disk and boot up from it.
10.6 snow leopard is intel only so it wont work.

pubjoe

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
Leopard (10.5) will install on a greater than 860mhz cpu*. Snow leopard (10.6) won't install at all.

*There is a workaround to get leopard to install on a lower cpu (basically you need another mac and a firewire cable), but I have no idea if it would be worth the trouble. Personally, I have an imac G4 and tiger (10.4) does the job nicely.

Does your imac have a DVD drive or is it CD only?

Last edited:

MOIVGSTER

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Davis Ca
Leopard (10.5) will install on a greater than 860mhz cpu*. Snow leopard (10.6) won't install at all.

*There is a workaround to get leopard to install on a lower cpu (basically you need another mac and a firewire cable), but I have no idea if it would be worth the trouble. Personally, I have an imac G4 and tiger (10.4) does the job nicely.

Does your imac have a DVD drive or is it CD only?

i believe its dvd and cd drive. ya i think im going to stick with tiger but im having trouble trying to find where to get a new version of tiger and then when i get a new version of tiger i think it would take me awhile trying to figure out how to install it.
the machine speed is 800 mhz
system version is mac os x 10.2.8
memory: 256 mb
can anyone point me in the right direction for a download of a newer version of tiger

Last edited:

pubjoe

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
Tut tut. You naughty boy! You are not allowed to request illegal download links.

I've just sent you a private message giving you a darn good telling off. :)

DrakkenWar

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
San Antonio,Texas
Pshwah!

I know this is a bit older post, but I had to put in my two pennies here. There is nothing with 10.3.9 or older PPC macs thanks much! ;) As I right this I'm on my older than dirt dual G4/533 with 1.2 gigs of ram running os 10.3.9 server with Camino 1.2.5 I believe.. Everything that I need to get done on this computer works just fine. So take the advice and go with Camino, it's great.
The only real advice I can give you after owning more than my share of G4 single proc digital audio's and what not. Find some cheap PC133 ram. Bump your machine as far as it will go, which I believe with your is either a gig or 1.5 if you are lucky. There are those of us that love our macs, but don't have the money to buy the newest shiny model out there. For me, being that my wife is deployed and I have to play warrior dad at home? I get the best out of all the hardware I have, be it windows, mac or linux.

g4 powerbookboy

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2010
I agree with the last post completely, there is nothing wrong with the powerpc macs at all. I have a g3 400 mhz imac, a g4 titanium powerbook 1st gen soon to be traded for the g3 500 mhz dual usb ibook im using now since a slightly smaller laptop is better for me and the ibook had issues running flash 10.1 that my friend needs to be able to run since the home based business he is working on web site requires it. personally although i like the new intel macs, for what i use it for the powerpc macs are more than sufficiant for me. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.