Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shompa

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
Sounds good! iPhone 5 with LTE in a few months.

50 megabit is really something you need in a phone. For all your Bluray downloads to the phone :roll eyes:

I had 3G year 2000. 384Kbit. Today 3G manages 21Mbit. With data caps, why do we need 50 megabit? Streaming 4K movies to the phone?

leukotriene

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
*hint* Iphone5 will be released 3 month after iOS 6 beta.
The reason for iPhone 4S delay was because of iOS5 and iCloud integration.

Lets hope for an iOS 6 beta event in April. Then we will have a summer iPhone.

The prototype Iphone5 have been ready since mid last year. TSMC problem with 28nm manufacturing delayed the redesigned iPhone. Apple needs 28nm for A6 + LTE chips.

TSMC needs to manufacture an insane amount of wafers for Apple to meet Apples demand of about 20 million A6 SoCs per month.

Nailed it.

ddarko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2007
once again, fanboy wish fulfillment ignores reality

You know this is complete BS because it has all the tell-tales of being a compilation of fanboy wishes, reality be damned:

1) Launch less than a year after the launch of a previous generation when no iPhone has ever launched on such a shortened schedule before. Even though they're obsessed with the company, fanboys bizarrely ignore Apple's previous business patterns despite the fact that the schedule of Apple's product launches is one of the most predictable things about it. There is a financial motive to taking a year+ to launch a new product - it gives Apple the chance to recoup startup costs and drive down costs even more. Apple isn't going to give up that to fulfill fanboy "I want my toy now!" whining.

2) Bigger screen - the ultimate fanboy fantasy, regardless of the fact Steve Jobs - and Apple leadership - have been against it for the very good reason that it would undercut a great advantage of the iOS platform - the continuity and unity of iPhone apps across devices. No matter. Fanboys want their bigger screens and they'll believe any rumors that dangles it in front of them.

This is nothing more than a rehash and recycle of the then-Phone 5/4S rumors. It didn't happen with the 4S and it's not going to happen with the 5.

shompa

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
[Citation Needed]

All "experts" believe that.

A more reliable clue is when iOS6 beta is released. Maybe Apple have managed to regain the 3 month roadmap slip with iOS5? Apple likes to beta tests its OS, something that other phone OS vendors don't do.

Ieo

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
while others have suggested that moving back to the mid-year launch would make for an extremely short lifecycle for the iPhone 4S.

"Extremely short"? It'll just be a 3 month difference....and lets face it, for a device whose only selling points over an iPhone 4 are a virtual assistant that gets dumber and performs more poorly every day, a better camera, and more speed which nobody needs/uses anyway....3 months off the life cycle is no big deal. Hell, I welcome it: I was actually thinking of going android when my upgrade comes in March, as I didn't think I would want to wait all the way until october for another iPhone.

*Edit*

Yes, it would suck for those whose contracts have them stuck in a cycle of "S" models....but lets face it, the 3s and the 4s were ******, minor updates. Put the cycle back on track and bring some innovation.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think the 4S delay was deliberate to shift the iPhone release to Fall. With the iPod waning in popularity, Apple needed a new device for the holiday season. Plus, with a March release for the iPad, they have a good 6 months to engineer the new iPad features into the smaller iPhone.

Thank.You.!

The 4S could have launched in June based on the various leaks we have seen, or even August, but they opted for October for a reason; they want to shift to fall release schedule; and the fact that it is closer to the holidays definitly contributed in the outstanding sales.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
*hint* Iphone5 will be released 3 month after iOS 6 beta.
The reason for iPhone 4S delay was because of iOS5 and iCloud integration.

Lets hope for an iOS 6 beta event in April. Then we will have a summer iPhone.

The prototype Iphone5 have been ready since mid last year. TSMC problem with 28nm manufacturing delayed the redesigned iPhone. Apple needs 28nm for A6 + LTE chips.

TSMC needs to manufacture an insane amount of wafers for Apple to meet Apples demand of about 20 million A6 SoCs per month.

TSMC is rumored for A6. It could still very likely be Samsung and their 32nm/28nm process.

I agree with your reasoning for the delay though. However, I don't see a need to push it back into summer. The 1 year period between would seem more sacred than a particular time of year.

Thank.You.!

The 4S could have launched in June based on the various leaks we have seen, or even August, but they opted for October for a reason; they want to shift to fall release schedule; and the fact that it is closer to the holidays definitly contributed in the outstanding sales.

Delaying to the holiday quarter didn't matter for sales. They were still going to sell as many as they could make. There was obviously higher availability at launch for the 4S, suggesting they had been building them for a while.

JonneyGee

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Nashville, TN
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

BergerFan said:
If Apple release the next iPhone in the summer, what will they announce in the fall?
iPods are no longer significant enough on their own, to warrant a standalone event.
Here's how I see the mobile rollout strategy:

Spring: iPad.
Summer: WWDC & new iOS.
Fall: iPhone and iOS release(feat. iPods).

This. Apple sees the iPod Touch slipping and knows the iPhone is the best product to launch right before the holidays. This allows iPad demand to lose some momentum before ramping production up for the iPhone and it spreads out sales - if Apple launched both of their major products in the first half of the year, sales (and stock) would surge for six months and then slip for six months. Apple doesn't want that, especially given that the holiday shopping season falls in the period that sales would be down. The larger screen rumors are bogus, too - Apple doesn't want fragmentation in their system, and the advantages of the current screen size (namely the ability to touch the whole screen with one hand) have been made clear. Reality is never as exciting as fanboy dreaming, but this just won't happen.

shompa

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
You know this is complete BS because it has all the tell-tales of being a compilation of fanboy wishes, reality be damned:

1) Launch less than a year after the launch of a previous generation when no iPhone has ever launched on such a shortened schedule before. Typically, fanboys ignore Apple's previous business patterns, even though Apple is a predictable in its rhythms as a Swiss clock. There is a financial motive to taking a year+ to launch a new product - it gives Apple the chance to recoup startup costs and drive down costs even more. Apple isn't going to give up that to fulfill fanboy "I want my toy now!" whining.

2) Bigger screen - the ultimate fanboy fantasy, regardless of the fact Steve Jobs - and Apple leadership - have been against it for the very good reason that it would undercut a great advantage of the iOS platform - the continuity and unity of iPhone apps across devices. No matter. Fanboys want their bigger screens and they'll believe any rumors that dangles it in front of them.

This is nothing more than a rehash and recycle of the then-Phone 5/4S rumors. It didn't happen with the 4S and it's not going to happen with the 5.

Bookmark your post and come back after iPhone 5 release.
The bigger screen is a fact since its on prototype phones.

Apple have many times said that they won't do things, and later do them anyway. Technology advance and make things possible. Apple aren't fanatical, they are practical. If a bigger screen means better user experience, they will deliver it.

Apple have been against larger screens because of battery times. With new technology this is solved.

The release schedule: iPhone is a software platform. Thats why Apple can deliver the best/one of the best user experiences. iPhone 4S was delayed because of iOS. If Apple have iOS 6 ready, they can release iPhone 6 earlier.

We will know soon enough. iOS Beta + parts showing up. Apple is so big today that we always knows about 1-3 month before something is released.

(like that iPad 3 have started manufacturing = event before 1 month)

PackFan

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2009
Twin Cities, MN
Agreed that it won't be released until Fall...

And please - Stop calling it the iPhone 5! It would be a stupid name for the 6th iPhone...

shompa

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002

I believe in giving Apple 10% of my income.
They make me happy = they can have 10% of my money.

Its like a church!

When is it a religion so I can get a tax deductible for Apple stuff?

All Hail STEVE. *miss*

shompa

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
Thank.You.!

Nope. iCloud and iOS was not ready.
They could not technically release Iphone4S last summer since iOS wasn't ready.

iOS slipped 3 month = why 3 month delay. This is just fact.

Apple have said many times that they ship things when they are ready. Its an enormous waste of resources to have stuff just laying around for 3 month to hit a holiday season.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I'm okay with an iPhone 5 summer release, as long as the carriers are willing to work with us that got the iPhone 4S in October. I mean, the iPhone 4S was basically a filler. I love my 4S. The only reason I got it was because I wanted a white iPhone. My 4 was doing just fine.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
50 megabit is really something you need in a phone. For all your Bluray downloads to the phone :roll eyes:

I had 3G year 2000. 384Kbit. Today 3G manages 21Mbit. With data caps, why do we need 50 megabit? Streaming 4K movies to the phone?
Maybe in markets not called the United States of America, there are some mobile operators who do not cap data or have much higher caps.

You realize that the world is not just the USA?

ddarko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2007
Bookmark your post and come back after iPhone 5 release.
The bigger screen is a fact since its on prototype phones.

Apple have many times said that they won't do things, and later do them anyway. Technology advance and make things possible. Apple aren't fanatical, they are practical. If a bigger screen means better user experience, they will deliver it.

Apple have been against larger screens because of battery times. With new technology this is solved.

I'll be happy to come back to my post at the end of the year but I'm sure I'll still be busy going through the 100,000 posts and rumors from last year that predicted or guaranteed LTE, a bigger screen, new form factor, a summer launch and NFC chip for the iPhone 4S.:) Let's not discuss the iPad 2S that was going to launch last year too (another baseless rumor that predicted a product launch less than a year after).

I agree that Apple is practical, not ideological about screen size and that was the point of my post - that practical reasons should make you suspicious of these pie-in-the-sky rumors. Apple has stuck with the screen size for the practical reason that it preserves unity and minimizes fragmentation with its apps. I have yet to hear of an easy solution that would address the impact that a resolution change would have, nothing like the seamless resolution doubling that the Retina display allowed. They certainly aren't going to double the resolution again so what's the solution? Introduce iPhone 5-only apps like iPad apps?

The folks who are screaming for bigger screen sizes are generally early adopters who are willing to put up with the hassles that a new screen size would introduce. This is the same group who wants LTE now even though it would cut iPhone battery life drastically. Apple has demonstrated time and time again, it isn't making products for this group. Its target is the far more numerous consumers who don't want to deal with that nonsense.

This rumor, like 99% of rumors, is motivated by one thing - a desire to drive traffic to the originating site. Look at the abysmal accuracy of rumors on 9to5mac and tell me why anyone should believe the so-called "reliable" sources on such an unreliable site. If 9to5mac posted a rumor that the sun was rising in the east tomorrow, I'd wake up and check.

Last edited:

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
I really hope the screen size doesn't get bigger, but many people seem to be falling for "bigger is better." Apple probably needs to increase the screen size to "compete," which is unfortunate for two reasons:

1: I don't want to carry a brick around in my pocket.

2: Dustin Curtis makes a good point about the screen size and usability of 3.5" vs bigger screens (http://dcurt.is/2011/10/03/3-point-5-inches/):

fourinches.png

With a 3.5" screen, your thumb can reach across the whole screen, thus the iPhone is a "one hand" device. When the screen size increases, you need to use two hands to reach the entire surface.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Please hold off rumors on the iPhone for awhile! The iPhone 5 with LTE and all new design will come out in OCTOBER. -NOT in the summer.

Um, you appear to be actually serious with this post.

And you know this stuff, with apparent absolute certainty, how...??? :confused:

It came to you in a dream?? A flash of light?? God spoke to you?? Crystal ball??:confused:

Do enlighten us mortals how you know it will be LTE, new design, and be released in OCTOBER... :rolleyes:

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I really hope the screen size doesn't get bigger, but many people seem to be falling for "bigger is better." Apple probably needs to increase the screen size to "compete," which is unfortunate for two reasons:

2: Dustin Curtis makes a good point about the screen size and usability of 3.5" vs bigger screens (http://dcurt.is/2011/10/03/3-point-5-inches/):

With a 3.5" screen, your thumb can reach across the whole screen, thus the iPhone is a "one hand" device. When the screen size increases, you need to use two hands to reach the entire surface.

Its definitely time for the iPhone screen to get bigger. 3.5" is so 2007. I don't know about you, but I hate watching Netflix on a 3.5" screen. It was soooo much better on my 4.3" S2. And the S2 was sooo light to have a 4.3" screen. Heck, it felt better in my pocket than the 4S.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Nope. iCloud and iOS was not ready.
They could not technically release Iphone4S last summer since iOS wasn't ready.

iOS slipped 3 month = why 3 month delay. This is just fact.

Apple have said many times that they ship things when they are ready. Its an enormous waste of resources to have stuff just laying around for 3 month to hit a holiday season.

Not a scientific experiment here, but just observing from friends and family waiting to jump on the iPhone wagon, folks seemed more keen to get a 2 month old iPhone 4s in 2011 than a 6 month old iPhone 4 in 2010.

I think there are other non-technical reasons for determining launch time; I have never seen Apple **that** aggressive in marketing and launching the iPhone, maybe that's another reason why it was delayed to October?

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD

I'm curious whose thumb that actually is. I could use a HTC inspire (4.3" screen) with one hand and reach the extreme corners. I think Apple would be fine doing a 4" screen, especially since they would take usability into account and you would be able to hold it supporting those kind of reaches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.