Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Well if apple is suing everyone then it must be true.

So, you'll just ignore that Apple is the most sued company in tech? And then there is the reality that other than HTC and Samsung, Apple was sued by the other company first in most of these major cases.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
So, you'll just ignore that Apple is the most sued company in tech? And then there is the reality that other than HTC and Samsung, Apple was sued by the other company first in most of these major cases.

then again Apple could be sued so often because they try to avoid paying for peoples tech that they should. Apple does have a history of stealing tech. Dashboard for example was a direct rip off of konfabulator.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Last edited:

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
then again Apple could be sued so often because they try to avoid paying for peoples tech that they should.

That's some good propaganda. Completely unsubstantiated. No context. And nobody is going to bother to put together the statistics to show whether you are right or wrong. Strangely, you don't hear about Apple losing these cases that often.

Apple does have a history of stealing tech. Dashboard for example was a direct rip off of konfabulator.

Pretty bad example. When did Konfabulator's owners sue Apple? What Konfabulator patents or copyrights did Apple violate? Developing an app to do something the same as or similar to another app isn't stealing.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
Pretty bad example. When did Konfabulator's owners sue Apple? What Konfabulator patents or copyrights did Apple violate? Developing an app to do something the same as or similar to another app isn't stealing.

Didn't a previous Mac OS have widgets anyways?

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

Not exactly. It just shows Apple a bit more on the arregent side and has no problems more or less coping someone else work with little fear of being nailed for it. If they get sued they fight it in court but does not change the fact that they gamble on it. I could point to Nokia as well. Sherlock I believe was another rip off (sorry before I started using Mac but I do remember it being talked about.)

Apple is a very arrogant company.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Not exactly. It just shows Apple a bit more on the arregent side and has no problems more or less coping someone else work with little fear of being nailed for it.

If they get sued they fight it in court but does not change the fact that they gamble on it. I could point to Nokia as well. Sherlock I believe was another rip off (sorry before I started using Mac but I do remember it being talked about.)

Oh bull. Is Pixelmater arrogant for trying to make a Photoshop competitor? Is Mozilla arrogant for making an IE competitor? There is nothing wrong with making the same type of app as someone else as long as you don't violate their patents or copyrights or other protected IP.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Oh bull. Is Pixelmater arrogant for trying to make a Photoshop competitor? Is Mozilla arrogant for making an IE competitor? There is nothing wrong with making the same type of app as someone else as long as you don't violate their patents or copyrights or other protected IP.

You are trying to tell me Dashboard was not a direct ripoff of konfabulator? That is a joke. Apple has a history of doing stunts like that no if and or buts about it.

Just this injunction and the reasoning I call a pretty big joke. They are going after anyone who is making a black slab. Come on they are right it pretty much a standard digital picture frame at this point.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
You are trying to tell me Dashboard was not a direct ripoff of konfabulator? That is a joke. Apple has a history of doing stunts like that no if and or buts about it.

No, I'm not trying to tell you that. The idea for Dashboard was taken directly from Konfabulator. What's wrong with that? There is more than one version of just about every app out there. Making an app that does the same thing as another app is completely normal. It isn't stealing unless you violate their protected IP such as patents or copyright.

Just this injunction and the reasoning I call a pretty big joke. They are going after anyone who is making a black slab. Come on they are right it pretty much a standard digital picture frame at this point.

Yep. Though their claims are a bit more specific than that. We'll see if Apple's lawyers are a bit more informed about community design registrations in the EU than you are.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Yep. Though their claims are a bit more specific than that. We'll see if Apple's lawyers are a bit more informed about community design registrations in the EU than you are.

You are right they are using legal loop holes but the claim at the end of the day they are trying to block when you add in Motolara is anything that is a black slab.

Motolara XOOM if you look at it sees the design is a enlarge versions of there phones which are smaller black slabs.

These law suits make apple look pretty bad and I really do hope that EU has it in place if they injuctions is over turned Apple has to pay Samsung for all lost revenue, cost of complying, plus some punitive damages. Not that I can expect that but not having that done is just wrong and abusing the system by Apple.

Also these shows the system in place is very very broken.

GekiRed

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
Hades aka England
As a huge Apple enthusiast and long time user, I am greatly disappointed. This tactic smacks of bullying and very bad judgement.

Apple used to be a better, classier operation, than to do something like this.

If Apple were struggling to survive, and this was a make or break issue then it might be different.

Left alone to sell their product freely, Samsung is still trailing Apple by a distance so far they are no threat at all, and we all know that.

For Apple to pull a stunt like this is to send the world a message that there is no stopping the dictatorial menacing bully.

Apple wants everyone marching in lock step to their anthem. A cadre of drones.

Why Apple has to pull this crap is beyond me! It's as if they know that eventually Android will kick their ass, tablet-wise and they're trying to prevent it from happening.

Don't get me wrong, the iPad is a pretty good device but I don't like the fact by the time I finally save up enough money to buy one, a newer version will be out within a year of the last one, which is why I'm going to wait until the end of next year when I get to go to Singapore and buy one over there as it will be way cheaper there than in the UK, even after paying import duty and VAT.

I'd rather be a person who can decide for myself what I want to buy, device-wise than be a Apple Sheeple who read from the Gospel of St Steve of Jobs, Patron Saint of Hypocrisy and who believe that everything he says must be true, even if it turns out to be all lies!

Look at it this way, Apple are burning up goodwill like Gordon Gekko loves to burn $1000 bills just because he can!

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
You are right they are using legal loop holes but the claim at the end of the day they are trying to block when you add in Motolara is anything that is a black slab.

Why are you trying to put words in my mouth? I never said anything about "legal loop holes".

Motolara XOOM if you look at it sees the design is a enlarge versions of there phones which are smaller black slabs.

Which is only relevant if you can provide an explanation of the laws related to the claim.

These law suits make apple look pretty bad and I really do hope that EU has it in place if they injuctions is over turned Apple has to pay Samsung for all lost revenue, cost of complying, plus some punitive damages. Not that I can expect that but not having that done is just wrong and abusing the system by Apple.

Unless Apple is within their rights under the applicable law and their claims are more specific than you have summarized.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
It appears that the injunction was granted based on false evidence provided by Apple:

apples-flawed-evidence-5206920.jpg

It seems likely that the case will be thrown out and Apple will pay penalties to Samsung. It is very strange that Apple decided to lie in order to impede the competition.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
It appears that the injunction was granted based on false evidence provided by Apple:

It seems likely that the case will be thrown out and Apple will pay penalties to Samsung. It is very strange that Apple decided to lie in order to impede the competition.

Actually if the top device was not showing a landscape mode desktop in portrait mode, it would look very similar as well. All kinds of manipulation going on it seems.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Actually if the top device was not showing a landscape mode desktop in portrait mode, it would look very similar as well. All kinds of manipulation going on it seems.

Regardless of orientation, Apple provided a picture that distorts actual physical dimensions (aspect ratio) of Samsung tablet to make it look more like iPad. It appears that they also customized Tab home screen to look similar to iPad.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

The top device is how Honeycomb devices look. Honeycomb is mostly presented in landscape mode, not portrait mode. There is no manipulation there :

acer_iconia_tab_a500_bestbuy-590x334.jpg

original

galaxy_tab_10.1__p7100__product_image__2_.jpg

asus-slider.jpg

So that is actually one more point on which Apple is stretching the truth : Constantly comparing iOS' homescreen to Android's Application Launcher. The thing is, if they were to compare homescreen to homescreen, all their claims of "copying" go right out the window as both OS' don't look like each other at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.