Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
My laptop though not an Apple one was made in late 2010.. and its the Gateway p-7805u FX and although it says max memory is 8GB on Intel's website.. I wonder if anyone has actually put two 8GB dimms in and it popped up saying 16GB? Mine is a Penryn also.. I have a 3.06 Core 2 Extreme overclocked to 4 Ghz.. and so far 8GB 1067 DDR3 memory.

The chipset of my laptop is: PM45 which is a great chipset, but interested to know what yours is.

a) how did get 16GB RAM to work with Mid-2010 Penryn MBP?
b) current 13" MBP has more than twice your MacBook's processing power. However, if it's enough for you, there's obviously no reason to upgrade, but still it is not "little more processing power"

Even though people may not NEED to upgrade they computers they do, because they WANT to.

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
I feared this would happen when I saw the last product launch. The iPad Mini was presented well, but the new iMac and MacBook Pro over-emphasized thinness and were both overpriced. If Apple made a MacBook again - a an ordinary 13" screen, no optical drive, but keep the metal unibody case - and priced it at $699, they would fly off the shelves. They wouldn't be able to build enough.

As for iMac, it seems like Apple's just flailing at a desktop strategy. They put too much into form factor and not enough into value. Just take the good old Mac Cube, make it openable and memory/storage expandable, use desktop components instead of laptop components, and sell that for $599? I think the Mac Mini is great, but it's hard to take it seriously. It doesn't need to be so small, and it doesn't need to use the laptop components. It should have a desktop CPU and plenty of cooling via heatsink and/or fan, and then the price/performance will be there.

AnalyzeThis

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2007
It doesn't work like that.

If you own a 1% stake in Apple and the other 99% of shares were bought back by Apple, you would still only own a 1% stake in Apple.

Yeah, but the cost of this 1% will be astronomical. There is no way someone can buy/sell continuously and price would stay constant. The way exchange works - demand will outrun supply very quickly, at this point it will either go up when buying or down when selling very violently.

Same way, when selling - there is no way to sell large quantity as there are will be no buyers and price will go to Zero.

Anyway, we should all congratulate each other with new APPL price @ $392.05.

It is all goes as I was expecting to, but I did not know exactly the timing. Was not far off, I called it 1 year earlier, but it was great experience to witness. Savvy investors knew it was coming, so it was not a surprise to them.

I can not even image what casual APPL investors are feeling right now. It would really hurt.

Apple as a company reminds me headless chickens now. Management are very much clueless what to do next at this point.

Not like even Mr. Jobs knew what to do right before his departure either. We can see Apple product pipeline queued by him. As time goes by, its content is revealed to the world, but it is more of the same.

Get ready, more firework is coming just grab popcorn and enjoy the show... It is like watching supernova blast in slow motion for astronomers - absolutely priceless!

Good Luck!

Last edited:

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
We being in English class now?

Because me knows alots of people....

Not going to argue with you any further. Your post gave off different information than you intended. Can't you simply just acknowledge your mistake without witty replies? And since you've taken it to english class there's no such word as "alot". ;)

macman34

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2013
I feared this would happen when I saw the last product launch. The iPad Mini was presented well, but the new iMac and MacBook Pro over-emphasized thinness and were both overpriced. If Apple made a MacBook again - a an ordinary 13" screen, no optical drive, but keep the metal unibody case - and priced it at $699, they would fly off the shelves. They wouldn't be able to build enough.

As for iMac, it seems like Apple's just flailing at a desktop strategy. They put too much into form factor and not enough into value. Just take the good old Mac Cube, make it openable and memory/storage expandable, use desktop components instead of laptop components, and sell that for $599? I think the Mac Mini is great, but it's hard to take it seriously. It doesn't need to be so small, and it doesn't need to use the laptop components. It should have a desktop CPU and plenty of cooling via heatsink and/or fan, and then the price/performance will be there.

What a great idea for them to revamp the cube for a circa 2013 model. Glass instead of plastic, desktop components like you said, upgradable. But that would require that someone in there has got a pair of balls to instigate something new. Imagine how the keynote would have been if they 'd actually delivered a new cube for 2013, finally something to surprise and inspire. And these babies would have undoubtedly flown off the shelves. Instead we got the usual ho hum, thinness and Tim's sleazy way of pronouncing, isn't this greeeaaattt? No it isn't great at all Tim, it's so and so product evolution, pricy and with a lot of compromises.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
"halting Mac Component Orders", wow.

Do yourself a favor and read that twice ... again ...

The press and conspiracy theories really want the Apple stock to go down, so they can force a CEO change.

Not going to happen, Apple may miss the expectation for 1% but Macs continue to sells as hot as ever.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
It doesn't work like that.

If you own a 1% stake in Apple and the other 99% of shares were bought back by Apple, you would still only own a 1% stake in Apple.

Well, no. After Apple bought the other 99% of shares back, what used to be a 1% stake is now 100%.

----------

Not going to argue with you any further. Your post gave off different information than you intended. Can't you simply just acknowledge your mistake without witty replies? And since you've taken it to english class there's no such word as "alot". ;)

The people of Alot allot a lot of their time to the game of cricket. Or so I am told. I might check if I visit India. :D

----------

Nope, it only has one drive bay. You can get it with either a 1 TB spinner or an SSD. Speed or volume are the exclusively independent choices.

There's no problem whatsoever putting two hard drives into any MacBook Pro, 13" or 15". Just replace the optical drive that is rarely used with a drive bay, and you're ready to go. If you need an optical drive from time to time, an external one for £20 will do just fine. I have one in a drawer in my study, and once every few months it comes out and goes back ten minutes later.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
What a great idea for them to revamp the cube for a circa 2013 model. Glass instead of plastic, desktop components like you said, upgradable. But that would require that someone in there has got a pair of balls to instigate something new. Imagine how the keynote would have been if they 'd actually delivered a new cube for 2013, finally something to surprise and inspire. And these babies would have undoubtedly flown off the shelves. Instead we got the usual ho hum, thinness and Tim's sleazy way of pronouncing, isn't this greeeaaattt? No it isn't great at all Tim, it's so and so product evolution, pricy and with a lot of compromises.

To be straight about it, the computing industry is taking a turn away from desktop machines. Outside of the Apple faithful and techies of the like I doubt that a new generation cube would fly off the shelves. You're speaking more of personal feelings rather than industry acceptance.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Perhaps if said Macs were cutting edge in terms of performance and value instead of simply design, demand would not be an issue.

Just sayin'.

I think they expect the Mac to peak at some point. iOS devices obviously represent a much bigger part of their growth.

That is illegal. It hurts Apple. It is copyright infringement. You are not living up to your end of the bargain you made when you licensed the OS. The entire Apple community is suffering due to that sort of thing. It hurts each and every one of us.

How can you even admit to such a thing in public? It makes me sick.

Somehow I doubt even Apple is concerned. The person you responded to still uses a genuine Apple notebook. If you look up one of the hackintosh community sites, you'll find that many of them if not the majority still buy stuff from Apple. Many of them own macbook pros and wouldn't buy imacs if the hackintosh option went away.

To be straight about it, the computing industry is taking a turn away from desktop machines. Outside of the Apple faithful and techies of the like I doubt that a new generation cube would fly off the shelves. You're speaking more of personal feelings rather than industry acceptance.

I think I've used this example before, but very few people in their 20s today allocate a large amount of space for computer equipment unless it's a complex work related system. Obviously if you have hardware raid + backup + multiple displays + etc. that's different. Most just have a notebook that they set down anywhere or a small niche for whatever machine. In the case of Apple probably an imac. I'm not counting those with things like 5+ year old Windows boxes. It makes more sense to look at what people would purchase today if they are buying a machine and haven't yet decided where it will sit. I wonder how many people even remember the original cube. I'm only aware of it because of this site. I owned a G4 powerbook which was underpowered for my uses at the time then went back to a desktop when the G5s debuted.

Last edited:

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Loks like Apple will have to invest some R&D money in Mac software. The Mac platform has not changed in YEARS. OK small incremental updats but it is the the same OS and the same applications.

Another 0.1 GHz speed bump is not going to help. It needs dramatically advanced software. I can name 100 things it could do #1 AI based search.

On the hardware side they need something that is half way between a MacPro and a Mac Mini that can use a standard monitor and can hold some parts inside that canbe upgraded. a iMac is nice but the upgrade path sucks. You have to trash a good LCD monitor to upgrade the CPU.

Last edited:

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Wow, that picture could be from four years ago. Hard to believe.
Let's do the time warp again...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rtkdo7bOmJc

mac_lineup_early2013.jpg

Last edited:

blabliblu

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2013
It really is not! From a supply chain standpoint there are seven forms of waste. Inventory is a big one because it hides the root cause of the problem, in this case its overproduction. I am not liking where this is heading. I may sell my stock!

Duh, Yes it is! I sold my stock one and a half year ago and made a decent amount on ROI.

And you know why ? Because I bought them 5 years ago, and have been using Apple products for 10 years. And DUH Apple REALLY IS simply selling overpriced, underspec'd, uninnovative products now and has been for two years, getting worse and worse. You can lie to yourself like a fanboy, it doesn't change what REAL trendsetters and mass followers think.

And DUH you should sell (depending at what price you got in). Right now the stock is down again to 392$. It's going to continue falling until the next keynote is announced, then it's going to go up a little, maybe to 430$ maximum, then it's going to fall even lower than before. So right after the keynote, you should sell.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
A late 2006 MBP won't run Mountain Lion.
But it will run Snow Leopard, which is better in every way, especially if you don't use iCloud.

I have all apple gear at home yet I just bought a surface rt for work, my iPad 3 just stays at home.

My girlfriend has an iPad 3 too, and she used to use it for netflix until we moved a spare TV into the bedroom. Now I'm pretty sure it's a paper weight.

Meanwhile I just got a Surface for work, too, and the thing is fantastic. It makes iOS look like a toddler toy.

mmcc

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2010
Tennessee
I guess people just don't need to upgrade their computers all the time, like they used to. My MBP is over three years old and I don't feel the need to upgrade at all. It's a little slow, I guess, but more RAM and a SSD would fix that right up.

Ah, now it makes sense as to why the latest laptops have non-upgradeable RAM and SSD. ;)

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
That may be true but what about the iPad 1. Its stuck on IOS 5 and its many years newer :mad:

The iPad 1 is basically an enlarged iPhone 3GS (it is; but not so for later iPads) with a higher clocked CPU and the same amount of RAM with 5 times more pixels to push. So that's why.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I believe Eidorian was referring to Windows 8.1 (aka Windows Blue) which will be the upcoming release scheduled for late 2013.
Correct, the lack of the Start Menu button and being able to boot to the desktop is a turn off for some people. Perhaps they do not expect a turnaround within 6-9 months from launch and would rather blame Windows 8 for bad hardware sales.

I have talked about my dying MacBook in the past. My desktop is still quite capable even if it is nearing 4 years old. If anything, I am waiting for Haswell. On top of that I wanted the revised stepping of the Intel 8 Series PCH to avoid the USB 3.0 sleep errata. So that pushes any purchase I want to make into Fall territory.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Ok, will this be some sort of service pack to download for current Windows 8 users, or will this be a totally different OS which will require $$ to buy??

Correct, the lack of the Start Menu button and being able to boot to the desktop is a turn off for some people. Perhaps they do not expect a turnaround within 6-9 months from launch and would rather blame Windows 8 for bad hardware sales.

I have talked about my dying MacBook in the past. My desktop is still quite capable even if it is nearing 4 years old. If anything, I am waiting for Haswell. On top of that I wanted the revised stepping of the Intel 8 Series PCH to avoid the USB 3.0 sleep errata. So that pushes any purchase I want to make into Fall territory.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Ok, will this be some sort of service pack to download for current Windows 8 users, or will this be a totally different OS which will require $$ to buy??
It is more than likely a free feature upgrade for existing Windows 8 owners. On the Metro front they are adding a File Manager and revert Search to behave more as it did under Windows 7.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
"Overly aggressive" ??

More people just like Mac products, thats all...

Whats wrong with high demand ?

macman34

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2013

Quite possibly. That's why it would be a ballsy move though. God knows Steve pulled off ballsy moves back when their bank capital were several loans to the banks. God knows Tim Cook's apple can afford a slow seller, and, god forbid, if Tim Cook's apple really creates something for the faithful or techies. And then there's the surprise factor, it's a token that they are not only there to keep thinning things out, and that the captain of the ship is capable of a think different - going against the grain move, not just patting himself on the back at Goldman conferences.

So while I agree with what you said, I still think it would be a really good move, and a dark horse of a product that could quite possibly outsell the retina macbooks or the imacs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.