Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
What does the licensing allow Microsoft to do that they could not legally before (if it excludes cloning)?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Apple would not license to Android. The only reason they are doing this is because it helps their case and it also supports the other competitor vs Android. Apple knows it can squish MS at any time, it's Android that is a threat to them.

:facepalm:
Look samsung you asks and pay for patents! I love the smartcover MS made before they bought the patents!

Apple can't "squish" MS at any time. Microsoft is a large company with vast resources and a significant patent portfolio. They also have huge cash cows in Office and Windows.

If Samsung builds a Windows 8 tablet, which they are free to do, presumably they'd be able to incorporate most, if not all the pertinent design elements Apple licensed to MS, unless the license was strictly to MS itself for use in its own hardware. Given that Microsoft has an interest in promoting Windows 8, I highly doubt that. They certainly want and need companies like Acer, ASUS, Lenovo, and even Samsung to make competitive Windows 8 tablets if it is to gain a significant presence in the tablet market.

----------

What does the licensing allow Microsoft to do that they could not legally before (if it excludes cloning)?

You don't need to "clone" an interface directly in order to be infringing upon a design patent. You just need to be using one or more of the patented design elements in your own design.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
See Samsung? Is it that hard to actually PAY for the things you take?

Compensation is not just monetary. It would still be interesting to see how much "value" they got out of those patents from Microsoft -- what were the MS patents including in the cross-licensing, etc?

I think this could be very signficant for Apple in the current trials, as it demonstrates that at least one other large tech company recognized that there was value and validity in the patents in question.

not always. Could just be part of the fact MS has a rather large cross license agreement with Apple.

Does not change the fact that many of the patents Apple is suing about really are crapents and Apple should NEVER of been awarded them in the first place.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
This is getting interesting, MSFT & AAPL vs GOOG & SSNLF.

----------

Apple can't "squish" MS at any time. Microsoft is a large company with vast resources and a significant patent portfolio. They also have huge cash cows in Office and Windows.

Well, Apple could always buy Microsoft, quadruple all of its product prices, make the XBOX 360 use an N64 controller, and start selling Windows 95 as new. :D

twosee

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2012
USA
Even that wouldn't mean anything since Steve was known to change his opinions quite often.

Oh C'mon, lighten up, it's hilarious. They post those up to get a stir. you don't really think they believe that do you? Personally I love all the WWSJD stuff. they have t-shirts, mugs, a facebook page... even bracelets.

well, they both have a common enemy -> android

my enemys enemy is my friend ... :rolleyes:

"Keep your friends close but your enemies closer"??

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
I'll admit, I have no love for Microsoft and the majority of their products. That said, I have a lot of respect for what they've done in the mobile space. They've shown that you CAN create an alternative to iOS without blatantly ripping off Apple's IP.

This agreement further demonstrates that even Microsoft understands that
A) You license other's IP when you have to, instead of trying to get away with grand theft.
B) If you don't wanna be dependent on that license forever, all you have to do is start thinking outside the "box" of that license...

All I have to say is, either force them to play by the rules or NAIL SAMSUNG to the wall Apple.

I am pretty sure you'll change your opinion as soon as Microsoft's Mobile offerings start tramping iOS devices in the market space.

TsunamiTheClown

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Fiery+Cross+Reef
Say what you want about design patents, but I am afraid I find this type of licensing by Microsoft very respectable.

It's the "were being transparent about what were doing here" kind of approach that is key in making the argument that "we feel like we can bring something else valuable to the marketplace". I think this approach is going to be much more well received. Especially since imo, Microsoft is not a hardware design firm.

Bravo.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
The Worm Has Turned, or something like that, possibly involving tables.

This is potentially a disaster for Apple, especially if the terms are not clear enough that they would require a court test. Exactly the same problem happened in the 80s, when bad lawyers at Apple authorized Sculley to sign a "single version" look-and-feel licensing agreement with MS that in the end led to litigation and MS's ultimate victory.

So I was right: Tim Cook MAY, indeed, be the new Sculley - pathetic.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

Thank you. :)

This is, in a nutshell, the entire ball of wax. Apple/Microsoft vs Google/Samsung. With an occasional swat at HTC.

Anyone in here who discounts WIN8 Mobile had better get ready.
Though I despise MS in many ways, they deserve kudos for their mobile direction. They created a Unique OS that uses parts of others tech legally.
While the Surface has some design similarities, WIN8 Mobile is as different an OS as one can get, mostly.

I'd be careful calling the Surface an iPad killer however. The iPad 7.85 has a few surprises up it cover. :apple:

Last edited:

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
sweet ... now Microsoft is the 'good' guy that is following the rules and plays well with others.

But makes sense for MS, they have a lot to catch up on in the mobile market, they have great ideas with their unique UI and they make sure that they cover their ass by getting licenses where needed. Way to go MS - I hope Windows 8 will succeed in Mobile and desktop market - it will bring some fresh wind of new ideas to the market without stealing ideas. (I didn't like MS in the past, but there is always hope)

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Smart, Microsoft. Very smart.

This is why WM platform will be #3 behind iOS and Android. That's probably their goal as no one will surpass iOS/Android. Poor Blackberry (RIM).

Microsoft is going to make sure W8 desktop and mobile is a success, I see.

nicroma

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
Midwest, USA
Say what you want about design patents, but I am afraid I find this type of licensing by Microsoft very respectable.

It's the "were being transparent about what were doing here" kind of approach that is key in making the argument that "we feel like we can bring something else valuable to the marketplace". I think this approach is going to be much more well received. Especially since imo, Microsoft is not a hardware design firm.

Bravo.

You're exactly right. I also think that by Microsoft sticking to it's "guns" by enabling Do Not Track in IE 10, they are really starting to show consumers that they are doing things right again. They are paying for their licenses and they care about privacy. Those are both very respectable.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

Apple and MSFT have been patent friendly since Steve Jobs returned to Apple.

MSFT's "investment" into Apple was in part to settle all the patent disputes.

All this predates Android by over a decade.

emvath

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
Apple knows it can squish MS at any time

Um, no....they can't. Microsoft is definitely down the past few years, but you'd be pretty stupid to ignore them in the future. They have the people, experience, and most importantly capital to come back and bite you in a big way if you aren't careful. Having said that, I don't think surface is going to be super successful.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
This is potentially a disaster for Apple, especially if the terms are not clear enough that they would require a court test. Exactly the same problem happened in the 80s, when bad lawyers at Apple authorized Sculley to sign a "single version" look-and-feel licensing agreement with MS that in the end led to litigation and MS's ultimate victory.

Tim is no John Scully. Bruce Sewell is no Jack Brown.

Think Happy Thoughts, or sell your stock. ;)

1=1?

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2010

If Samsung builds a Windows 8 tablet, which they are free to do, presumably they'd be able to incorporate most, if not all the pertinent design elements Apple licensed to MS, unless the license was strictly to MS itself for use in its own hardware. Given that Microsoft has an interest in promoting Windows 8, I highly doubt that. They certainly want and need companies like Acer, ASUS, Lenovo, and even Samsung to make competitive Windows 8 tablets if it is to gain a significant presence in the tablet market.

----------

You don't need to "clone" an interface directly in order to be infringing upon a design patent. You just need to be using one or more of the patented design elements in your own design.

I was talking about in the smartphone tablet market and you know it. And if you look at TRENDS and not size you can see that apple IS in fact squishing MSFT on all fronts. Android is making gains on apple in tablet and smartphones.

Um, no....they can't. Microsoft is definitely down the past few years, but you'd be pretty stupid to ignore them in the future. They have the people, experience, and most importantly capital to come back and bite you in a big way if you aren't careful. Having said that, I don't think surface is going to be super successful.

We'll see. I consistently see this "experienced, rich powerhouse" put out pieces of ****. They are on their 9th iteration of IE and it still is the worst browser on the market. Windows is still built like trash, and they refuse to rewrite it. They basically have been sitting there letting everyone figure out how to do things better than them while they make money of licensing their marketshare.

I find it funny that you guys think that MSFT came to apple and asked for the patents. I would put my money on Apple came up to them and was like "take these patents so we can play nice and let's kill android together". Hell they already did all that surface stuff without the patents.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA

What was it Shakespeare said about lawyers? :D

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
You're exactly right. I also think that by Microsoft sticking to it's "guns" by enabling Do Not Track in IE 10, they are really starting to show consumers that they are doing things right again. They are paying for their licenses and they care about privacy. Those are both very respectable.

True. At the end of the day, if you are bringing something new to the table, you need not be afraid of licensing and building up on it.

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
I think it also shows that there's ample room in the market to innovate. Part of Samsung's case is that, "Well, there's only so many ways to do it" inherent design philosophy.

MS at least came up with a new, different OS. While hardware is still a black rectangle with with a screen, the kick stand is unique, as is the cover with a keyboard (albeit some similarities to the smart cover).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.