Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
Open the file in VLC and hit Comand+I. Then click the Advanced Information tab and expand the Stream 0 and 1 areas. Copy that down and post it here.

Example:

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 35

adamsen87

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2005
Hi,

1. Can you write the filenames of the files in this folder /Library/Quicktime

2. Drag this file to the desktop /Library/Preferences/com.apple.QuickTime.plist
and restart Quicktime and see if the issue remains.

3. Check and see if the same issue appears on another user.

//Adam

Edit: Typo

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Uh...

Yeap, in fact if you buy Applecare, they will even personally come to your house next day and fix your machine on site! Something that Dell doesn't even offer!

Uh...what have you been smoking?

szsiddiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
generally apples customer service is good, but obviouslly some people will have bad experiences.
i was angry last year when my replacement engraved 30gb ipod took 2months to get back to me (it was the holiday season). they sent me a dock, ear phones, fm transmitter, and a video cable to compensate during this time. at the end, a few days after christmas, i opted to just pick up a nonengraved one from the local apple store, as long as they upgrade me to the 60gb. they happily agreed, and i picked it up. two days later, fedex delivered my engraved 30gb one to me. i called the customer service rep i delt with and let him kno, and asked him wut to do. he ask me for its serial number, and said hed get back to me if i need to send it back. never got back to me =). worked out, cuz my gf's birthday was just around the bend!

mingspace

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
generally apples customer service is good, but obviouslly some people will have bad experiences.
i was angry last year when my replacement engraved 30gb ipod took 2months to get back to me (it was the holiday season). they sent me a dock, ear phones, fm transmitter, and a video cable to compensate during this time. at the end, a few days after christmas, i opted to just pick up a nonengraved one from the local apple store, as long as they upgrade me to the 60gb. they happily agreed, and i picked it up. two days later, fedex delivered my engraved 30gb one to me. i called the customer service rep i delt with and let him kno, and asked him wut to do. he ask me for its serial number, and said hed get back to me if i need to send it back. never got back to me =). worked out, cuz my gf's birthday was just around the bend!

see if they sent me an extra ipod, Id be ecstatic. But they didnt.

mingspace

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
Quick question.

Does anyone have a New Macbook pro that's intel based that has both audio and video working from quicktime for all MPG formats and AVI format?

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
-Originally Posted by iW00t
Yeap, in fact if you buy Applecare, they will even personally come to your house next day and fix your machine on site! Something that Dell doesn't even offer!

Uh...what have you been smoking?

Don't know if they still do that, but yes, they used to at least. I know a few people where an Apple Certified Tech came out to do some replacements.

Dell does offer this BTW. In fact, with somethings, they will send one out with the part so you don't try to replace it yourself.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Quick question.

Does anyone have a New Macbook pro that's intel based that has both audio and video working from quicktime for all MPG formats and AVI format?

yes - but AVI isn't a format.

Try creating another login and see if the movies plays while logged in as that new user. If so, you have an issue with your user account most likely from contending/missing codecs or a bad prefs file.

mingspace

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
yes - but AVI isn't a format.

Try creating another login and see if the movies plays while logged in as that new user. If so, you have an issue with your user account most likely from contending/missing codecs or a bad prefs file.

Tried that. No dice.

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
I'm sorry to hear that your experience was bad. I work at an Authorized Campus Store and make several calls to Apple every day. I estimate that I've made about 50 calls since I've worked there. I've had one bad representative. I think you just had really bad luck that day. :(

Dan.

mingspace

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
I'm sorry to hear that your experience was bad. I work at an Authorized Campus Store and make several calls to Apple every day. I estimate that I've made about 50 calls since I've worked there. I've had one bad representative. I think you just had really bad luck that day. :(

Dan.

Yeah, unfortunately my problem is still not fixed...

Musubi

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2006
U.S. / 東京 日本
I've also run into issues with a few videos with AC3 audio which refuse to play the audio even with the A52Codec component (universal 1.7.2 version) installed (Mac Pro). There is also the occasional x.264 encoded video which just whitescreens in anything which relies on QT (plays fine in VLC or MPlayer). The odd thing is those same files tend to work fine with QT Player on my Power Mac G4 (with the exact same codecs). Sometimes, I do get the audio to work using MPEG Streamclip which allows me to extract the streams and then re-multiplex them. The QT MPEG-2 component also sometimes ignores the audio in some MPEG-2 streams but MPEG Streamclip tends to handle most of those situations without problems.

For the real stubborn files, I have no choice but to resort to VirtualDub on Windows. I'm hopeful Perian will reduce the number of these kind of issues (it addressed two annoying ones for me; VP6.1 streams and WMV3 videos encapsulated in an AVI container).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.