Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

hero_2x-250x242.jpg
Apple recently hired Sinisa Durekovic, a software engineer with expertise in satellite navigation systems, reports Bloomberg. Durekovic, who was hired in October, previously developed satellite navigation systems used in a range of luxury vehicles from BMW, Volkswagen, and Mercedes-Benz while working at Harman/Becker Automotive Systems and NAVTEQ.

Durekovic's LinkedIn profile does not offer up details on what he is doing at Apple, nor does Bloomberg have insight into his role, but given his expertise, it's likely he has joined the company to work on the Maps or CarPlay team. He specifically lists his areas of expertise as digital maps, car navigation systems, and map-enhanced advanced driver assistance systems.
I am the Software Architect, Engineer and a Team Leader with more than 25 years of experience in design and development of software systems. After 8 years as Principal Engineer in a mid-sized company, I assumed role of Senior Principal Architect and later Chief Engineer at major premium Navigation System supplier. My main work is in area of the Map-Enhanced Advanced Driver Assistance Systems, Digital Maps and Car Navigation Systems.
Since Maps debuted in 2012 to criticism and poor reviews, Apple has worked to introduce significant improvements. New Flyover locations are added on a consistent basis, errors are fixed in a more timely manner, and iOS 9 introduced transit directions. Apple also made multiple map-related purchases, snapping up companies like Coherent Navigation, Placeable, HopStop, Locationary, BroadMap, and Embark.

In December, Apple said Apple Maps is now used three times more than Google Maps on the iPhone, and there are several projects in the works to further improve Maps. Apple will open a new development center in Hyderabad, India, where 4,000 employees will focus on Apple Maps development, and over the course of the last year, Apple has been using vans with mapping equipment to obtain street-level imagery for future mapping use.

Article Link: Apple Hires Software Engineer With Expertise in Satellite Navigation Systems

darkgoob

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
So, now when Apple hires someone, it's news? Really?

Is it some kinda surprise that they'd hire someone to the Maps team?

Not trying to be sarcastic... this just strikes me as, really, NOT news.

Reactions: Fzang and macbd

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
maybe he will fix apple maps so that after it gives me directions over bluetooth it brings the radio back on...google maps works fine in my 2016 canyon

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
I wonder if this new guy actually uses maps and navigational directions on an iPhone. Because I'm pretty sure whoever designed the existing system has never actually done either.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

Well it's not exactly your run of the mill 'someone', otherwise we'd be getting 20 articles a day about Maps hiring.

Look at the bigger picture, and all the recent big named hirings/purchases. This is certainly indicating something a little more significant than making Apple Maps a bit better.

Whether it works or not, or is useful — who knows. But let's keep a little optimism and mystery!

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Article title should probably say GPS Navigation Systems.... Satellite Navigation Systems sounds like he's a rocket scientist making systems that control the trajectory of the actual satellites in orbit (i.e.: orbital station keeping).

Apple Car? Whatever... next up: the Apple Rocket.

Reactions: justperry

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Maybe they can expand the Nearby feature to more countries while they are at it.

Precision Gem

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2015
USA
Three times more than Google Maps? Haha, I find that very hard to believe.
I use Apple maps on my devices, not Google Maps. I find Google Maps on the computer very annoying the way it constantly zooms and pans every time you touch the mouse. I really have no issues with the Apple Maps and think it gets bad press from people who don't use it.

applezulu

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2015
Article title should probably say GPS Navigation Systems.... Satellite Navigation Systems sounds like he's a rocket scientist making systems that control the trajectory of the actual satellites in orbit (i.e.: orbital station keeping).

Apple Car? Whatever... next up: the Apple Rocket.

GPS is often used as a generic term, especially in the US, but it specifically refers to the US-owned NAVSTAR satellite system. There are other systems, including the Russian GLONASS satellite system, which iPhones also use. SatNav is just another generic term to refer to these systems that use satellites for navigation.

kuwxman

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2009
I use Apple maps on my devices, not Google Maps. I find Google Maps on the computer very annoying the way it constantly zooms and pans every time you touch the mouse. I really have no issues with the Apple Maps and think it gets bad press from people who don't use it.
Sounds like user error. I personally use Google Maps every day for business and personal use on both my iMac and iPhone with zero issue.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
GPS is often used as a generic term, especially in the US, but it specifically refers to the US-owned NAVSTAR satellite system. There are other systems, including the Russian GLONASS satellite system, which iPhones also use. SatNav is just another generic term to refer to these systems that use satellites for navigation.
As far as I can see, he doesn't have expertise in any of those. I looks like his expertise is digital mapping systems.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Meanwhile my GPS on my iPhone 6 is dead. Started with 9.3.2 and still sucks on 9.3.3 beta. However the higher charge, the more it works. Anything less than 50%, dead. It locks onto you and then doesn't move.

Storming

Suspended
Jun 2, 2016
Above You.

Apple has hired a lot of personnel as Of lately, I.e. Apple Car, Health Kit, Apple Watch health experts, It's not uncommon for Macrumors to post these types of articles. It's mainly to keep the Reader updated on internal movement or Employees who have departed the company.

And Maps has improved and hiring an Engineer only shows they are contuining to strive to improve Maps. It has greatly improved since its debut.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Three times more than Google Maps? Haha, I find that very hard to believe.

I haven't used google maps (other than for street view) in around two years. Apple Maps has come a long way in that time and has yet to let me down. I much prefer the way it operates and looks over google maps.

Also, I use Continuity from Apple Maps from my desktop at home to my phone a lot - it works seamlessly. Navigation works great, too.

Likely many others with iPhones find Apple Maps works fine for them as well.

Onext1

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2015
They should put it online the same way Google does. That would create a tsunami of reports from people using it and they could focus on the features that people actually use and in the areas where people use it more heavily. In the case of Maps good design is correct information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.