Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

corky5678

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2014
Bass Lake, CA
I like 3D FlyOver built in to Apple Maps.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 261
Reactions: WWPD

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I use Apple maps on my devices, not Google Maps. I find Google Maps on the computer very annoying the way it constantly zooms and pans every time you touch the mouse. I really have no issues with the Apple Maps and think it gets bad press from people who don't use it.

Ask Siri for directions and use speech for directions on the Google Maps app and see which one gets it right the majority of the time. It sure isn't Siri.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Article title should probably say GPS Navigation Systems.... Satellite Navigation Systems sounds like he's a rocket scientist making systems that control the trajectory of the actual satellites in orbit (i.e.: orbital station keeping).

Apple Car? Whatever... next up: the Apple Rocket.
That's what I was thinking "what do they need a gnc guy for?!" Lol

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
Durekovic, who was hired in October, previously developed satellite navigation systems used in a range of luxury vehicles from BMW, Volkswagen, and Mercedes-Benz ...

if the dude had anything to do with BMW nav systems, this is a bad sign - they are one of the worst on the market. They need to hire someone from Porsche - their nav is the best around.

Gigaman

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
Awesome news. Ever since Google maps led me to some remote area where a restaurant supposedly was and I started using soley Apple Maps, I haven't been disappointed.

I do wish flyover had clearer visuals tho.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Three times more than Google Maps? Haha, I find that very hard to believe.

Why? It's the default application. Not everyone is going to add a redundant application, taking up valuable capacity (remember that base 16GB you keep complaining about?)

I use both... but I use Apple Maps more.
[doublepost=1464924882][/doublepost]
if the dude had anything to do with BMW nav systems, this is a bad sign - they are one of the worst on the market. They need to hire someone from Porsche - their nav is the best around.

Yep. He's the very guy who caused all those problems for you. Was that the reason you traded in your Beamer for that 911 in which you've been tooling about?
[doublepost=1464925004][/doublepost]
I think as far as USA is concerned only Canada and Mexico are really Nearby.

That's today. Tomorrow, only Canada.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
LOL sigh Apple... still trying to fix Maps... just partner with Google Maps already, this is just embarrassing.
Apple tried that once. We all saw how that panned out.

If anything, it's all the more proof that Apple Maps must stay independent if we are to prevent Google from pulling a similar stunt on us in future. In a way, you are Apple Maps to thank for finally getting a native Google Maps app on your iPhone that doesn't suck.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
If he had anything to do with the nag system in my VW Jetta then Maps is in trouble. Worst nav system I've ever used.

Xade

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2016
Finally some experts for the Apple Maps team...
Expert possibly, but have you ever tried to use car sat navs as opposed to navigate to on Google maps? Both of our vehicles (BMW, Porsche) have sat nav systems in them that are WOEFUL!!!

marf1million

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2013
An Mhí
I use Apple maps on my devices, not Google Maps. I find Google Maps on the computer very annoying the way it constantly zooms and pans every time you touch the mouse. I really have no issues with the Apple Maps and think it gets bad press from people who don't use it.

I haven't used google maps (other than for street view) in around two years. Apple Maps has come a long way in that time and has yet to let me down. I much prefer the way it operates and looks over google maps.

Also, I use Continuity from Apple Maps from my desktop at home to my phone a lot - it works seamlessly. Navigation works great, too.

Likely many others with iPhones find Apple Maps works fine for them as well.

I'd sure Apple maps is probably decent in america, but any other countries I've tried to use it in I've found google maps to be far superior. I'll show you an example from where I am now.

I'll search for something that's everywhere, a cafe, in both Google and Apple maps and see what we get.

According to Apple maps, my nearest cafe is 24km away. I don't think that's correct.
image.png

Now Google maps
image.png

Google maps correctly informs me that there's a cafe 1.4km away.

Don't even get me started on it not knowing where towns and address are.

Precision Gem

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2015
USA
image.png
image.png
I have a BMW Z4 with Nav, very nice looking screen, and fast to bring up results and map. Sometimes it doesn't always take you on the quickest route, as it like to keep me on the highway. (Could be it thinks I only like to drive fast). BUt it does offer 4 or 5 alternate routes that you can select. Overall, I think it's a pretty good system. Certainly better than using your phone in the car.
[doublepost=1464954934][/doublepost]
I'd sure Apple maps is probably decent in america, but any other countries I've tried to use it in I've found google maps to be far superior. I'll show you an example from where I am now.

I'll search for something that's everywhere, a cafe, in both Google and Apple maps and see what we get.

According to Apple maps, my nearest cafe is 24km away. I don't think that's correct.
View attachment 634167

Now Google maps
View attachment 634168

Google maps correctly informs me that there's a cafe 1.4km away.

Don't even get me started on it not knowing where towns and address are.

I think some of that has to do with the word "Cafe". I did the same test in my small town. Apple Maps pulled up one Cafe, which is Daniels Cafe. This is actually a coffee shop where you can come in buy a coffee.

Google Maps pulled up every restaurant in town, including Daniels Cafe (which is the only real coffee shop). Google listed China Star, that is a take out Chinese place as a Cafe. You can get wonton soup there, but no coffee. Also a French Fry stand that sells no coffee. So I think in this case, at least in my town, Apple Maps did better.

Maybe in Ireland Cafe means any place that sells food or drinks, and Siri is thinking like she is back home in California.

Last edited:

papyrus100

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2009
It's plain and simple! :) They will add a real GPS receiver (not assisted) in the iPhone, not assisted. Keep in mind, that a company like Garmin can fit a GPS receiver(assisted) in a watch. So, a real GPS receiver could be fitted into the Apple Watch also,... :)

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA

hero_2x-250x242.jpg
Apple recently hired Sinisa Durekovic, a software engineer with expertise in satellite navigation systems, reports Bloomberg. Durekovic, who was hired in October, previously developed satellite navigation systems used in a range of luxury vehicles from BMW, Volkswagen, and Mercedes-Benz while working at Harman/Becker Automotive Systems and NAVTEQ.

Durekovic's LinkedIn profile does not offer up details on what he is doing at Apple, nor does Bloomberg have insight into his role, but given his expertise, it's likely he has joined the company to work on the Maps or CarPlay team. He specifically lists his areas of expertise as digital maps, car navigation systems, and map-enhanced advanced driver assistance systems.Since Maps debuted in 2012 to criticism and poor reviews, Apple has worked to introduce significant improvements. New Flyover locations are added on a consistent basis, errors are fixed in a more timely manner, and iOS 9 introduced transit directions. Apple also made multiple map-related purchases, snapping up companies like Coherent Navigation, Placeable, HopStop, Locationary, BroadMap, and Embark.

In December, Apple said Apple Maps is now used three times more than Google Maps on the iPhone, and there are several projects in the works to further improve Maps. Apple will open a new development center in Hyderabad, India, where 4,000 employees will focus on Apple Maps development, and over the course of the last year, Apple has been using vans with mapping equipment to obtain street-level imagery for future mapping use.

Article Link: Apple Hires Software Engineer With Expertise in Satellite Navigation Systems

Google maps is still my go-to maps of choice.

Apple maps is good, and I think it actually gives better routes.

But google maps finds my destination without problems and just gets me there without issues. Apple maps sometimes doesn't find the location with ease, and it's just not as good IMO.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Installing bloated Google Maps on any of my iOS devices will never happen. I barely use it on one platform: Linux. Even then, it's the web interface via Firefox or Epiphany, not Chrome/Chromium.

neutralguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2015
Article title should probably say GPS Navigation Systems.... Satellite Navigation Systems sounds like he's a rocket scientist making systems that control the trajectory of the actual satellites in orbit (i.e.: orbital station keeping).

Apple Car? Whatever... next up: the Apple Rocket.
Tim Cook is no Elon Musk. Just because Elon has SpaceX, Apple need not go there:p

littyboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Apple tried that once. We all saw how that panned out.

If anything, it's all the more proof that Apple Maps must stay independent if we are to prevent Google from pulling a similar stunt on us in future. In a way, you are Apple Maps to thank for finally getting a native Google Maps app on your iPhone that doesn't suck.

Yeah. But it is really annoying to open up directions from an app and it automatically opens Apple Maps for you. Wish there was a setting to set Google Maps by default.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I haven't used Maps for a long time....

They should put it online the same way Google does. That would create a tsunami of reports from people using it and they could focus on the features that people actually use and in the areas where people use it more heavily. In the case of Maps good design is correct information.

so, people can do their own corrections? Sounds like a good idea.. but i doubt Apple would do that.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Chiming in as an owner of a couple of Benzs - I really do want to take my Luger and just shoot the COMAND units in my cars. The interface of COMAND units are pretty much the black hole of suck in my vehicles...

The nav part of my COMAND units pretty much never returns the best/fastest route - it just gets me to the nearest highway or main road, which generally is cluttered with everyone else on the road at the time...

Apple, fire that guy before he Zimmer-izes your interface and nav logic...

Reactions: Benjamin Frost
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.