Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Also, I think fingerprint scanners could go hand in hand with a feature that people have been requesting since the iPad came out -- multiple user accounts on the same device. Swipe your finger to login to your account on the device.

Then you, your spouse, and your kids could all have separate accounts on the same device; and you won't have to worry about remembering usernames or passwords for multiple accounts like you do today on computers. Besides, typing in usernames and long, secure passwords on the iPad on-screen keyboard is not exactly an enjoyable experience.

I doubt that feature would make it into iOS 7. Perhaps iOS 8?

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
I would love the ability to unlock my phone without a passcode. Plus, imagine when there is no more "Did you change your passcode again? What is it?" from your spouse again. :D They will be SOL when you are not near the phone. :D

That would be a game changer... go right into my data sensitive apps by scanning my thumb instead of typing in my username and password.

Hopefully, Apple can get this to work a lot better than some other implementations I've seen where the success rate was probably 50%, at best.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Doubt I'd use it if all it did was replace the pass code.

If it became part of something else, like authorization for NFC then I can see that being more useful.

BiscottiGelato

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
If Apple's going to jump on this fingerprint bandwagon, it has to work and work well. If they're able to make a solution that works well, we'll see other handset makers try to copy Apple's implementation, no doubt. Maybe in two or three years, fingerprint scanners will be as common on phones and tablets as the voice assistants are becoming today.

Lenovo (IBM) used to have fingerprint scanners on their ThinkPads -- not sure if they still do. I tested it a few times and the success rate for reading my fingerprint correctly on the first swipe was about 50%. That's annoying on a laptop but brutal on a phone or tablet when you need to look something up right away.

I want the fingerprint sensor to work so well that once I enable it, I never have to turn it off or fall back to entering a passcode. I hope Apple can pull it off and that they won't implement the technology until they've really made it work well.

Would make it interesting if Apple sets it up so you have the option to require the correct fingerprint plus a passcode to wipe an iOS device. Talk about the ultimate two-factor authentication!

You are swiping it wrong. Cuz I use it on my company's Lenovo and it works 90% of the time.

ksnell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
If Apple's going to jump on this fingerprint bandwagon, it has to work and work well. If they're able to make a solution that works well, we'll see other handset makers try to copy Apple's implementation, no doubt. Maybe in two or three years, fingerprint scanners will be as common on phones and tablets as the voice assistants are becoming today.

Lenovo (IBM) used to have fingerprint scanners on their ThinkPads -- not sure if they still do. I tested it a few times and the success rate for reading my fingerprint correctly on the first swipe was about 50%. That's annoying on a laptop but brutal on a phone or tablet when you need to look something up right away.

I want the fingerprint sensor to work so well that once I enable it, I never have to turn it off or fall back to entering a passcode. I hope Apple can pull it off and that they won't implement the technology until they've really made it work well.

Would make it interesting if Apple sets it up so you have the option to require the correct fingerprint plus a passcode to wipe an iOS device. Talk about the ultimate two-factor authentication!

Lenovo's still have the scanner. Every employee at the company I work for has a Thinkpad and each one has the fingerprint scanner disabled.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
You are swiping it wrong. Cuz I use it on my company's Lenovo and it works 90% of the time.

Admittedly, it's been several years since I last tried it. Guess the technology in the ThinkPad scanners has improved. I just hope we don't see Tim Cook up on stage in a few years during "Fingergate" saying, 'You're swiping it wrong."

----------

Lenovo's still have the scanner. Every employee at the company I work for has a Thinkpad and each one has the fingerprint scanner disabled.

Disabled? Why?

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
They're just now hiring this fellow and everyone thinks it will make it into the next OS in a few months?

IVYHILL

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2012
3GS, S was for speed
4S, S was for Siri
5S, S for security?

seems logical enough. I'm all for a fingerprint ID to unlock, purchase things on iTunes, and be integrated with PassBook and a wallet sort of thing with major cc companies.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Clearly firm proof the 5S or 6 will include a fingerprint sensor. I'm intrigued.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Just used Passbook for my boarding passes this weekend. It's great! If that's a gimmick, bring it on.

I use Passbook almost everyday at Starbucks. It's awesome!

----------

U didn't need passbook

That was in their app before passbook existed so try again

Ya because finding the app, launching it, and taping 1-2 more times to bring up your card is so much the same as doing one swipe with Passbook on the lock screen when I arrive at Starbucks. Try again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.