Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

LoopInsight, Engadget and others are reporting that Apple will be holding a press conference this Friday.
Apple on Wednesday invited select press to a special press conference to be held this Friday in California. Apple would only say that the press conference would be regarding the iPhone 4. No other information was available when I spoke with them tonight.
The topic of discussion, of course, is the iPhone 4 which has received much press over the past few weeks regarding a signal loss issue when it is held in certain ways. A Consumer Reports article reignited discussion of this issue earlier this week.

Article Link: Apple Holding iPhone 4 Press Conference on Friday

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4 (32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Great, but I don't expect to see more than denials and sales numbers.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
20100715-xx8gmfqymu9d829qiiurgpmaxy.jpg

Boom.

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
Probably just to demo Gamecenter and announce it's release :D

No..really this should be interesting.

jeffereyj

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
preparing myself for a conference full of more fail....

....will be hilarious if Jobs demonstrates to the press the proper way to hold the phone ;)

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Just in time for the Canadian release. This conference will tell me whether I get a new iPhone 4 or if I'm getting a Samsung Galaxy S.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
Mashable had a great article on what Apple needs to do.

1. Acknowledge That the Antenna Problem Is Real
2. Go into the Technical Details
3. Roll Out the Software Update
4. Make the Bumpers Free
5. No Matter What, Don’t Issue an iPhone 4 Recall

Let’s play out the scenario. Apple performs a recall of its devices. Millions of people are annoyed as they either have to give up their device or keep a clearly defective one. Apple, already at peak production capacity, would take weeks — if not months — to replace the phones. Estimates place the cost of a recall in the billions.

Here’s the truth: The iPhone 4 antenna issue isn’t a hazardous one. It isn’t exploding in people’s hands, it isn’t cutting anyone’s palms randomly, and it isn’t suddenly bursting into flames. Those are critical issues that would require a recall.

The antenna issue, while important and a problem that Apple should have found and addressed before the product’s launch last month, doesn’t rise to that level. Recalls are meant only as a last resort.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.