Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Hi there,

I have a growing small business and we use mostly Apple products. Recently, we picked up a couple of new iPads. We had been using family sharing so that we wouldn’t have to repurchase the same apps over and over, but that was a temporary work around.

It seems it would be impossible to use one “company” Apple ID (e.g. mycompany@mycompanydomain.com) and still continue to use native apps like iMessage to communicate with one another, etc.

Any constructive thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you,

ZLM

LewisChapman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2015
Hi there,

I have a growing small business and we use mostly Apple products. Recently, we picked up a couple of new iPads. We had been using family sharing so that we wouldn’t have to repurchase the same apps over and over, but that was a temporary work around.

It seems it would be impossible to use one “company” Apple ID (e.g. mycompany@mycompanydomain.com) and still continue to use native apps like iMessage to communicate with one another, etc.

Any constructive thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you,

ZLM

The Family sharing feature is being a bit misused in this scenario unfortunately which is causing the account sharing issue.

Business-wise you are better off enrolling these devices using MDM and distributing the apps with licencing via DEP. It's more costly but isn't everything when it comes to business? :(

The users could then create Apple ID's using their work email addresses. Alternatively your business services provider may have their own 'chat' solution, such as our G-Suite business that have 'Hangouts'.

One of the issues you may face as you grow as a company is that you need to be able to audit communication - something that iMessage doesn't offer as far as I'm aware.

Hope this helps.

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Thank you @LewisChapman . We're not interested in abusing a feature (more just trying to make it work) and are quite used to paying (and paying some more after that) for subscriptions and services necessary to operate. Ironically, the sharing is with family (as it is a family business) that predates the commencement of the business. I didn't even know what MDM (Apple Device Management) was until you mentioned it and I Googled it myself. I just sent an inquiry to Apple's business team for help. Thanks so much for bringing this to my attention. It will certainly be necessary as we grow.

We do use G-Suite so that is another item I will consider.

Very helpful. Thank you.

LewisChapman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2015
Thank you @LewisChapman . We're not interested in abusing a feature (more just trying to make it work) and are quite used to paying (and paying some more after that) for subscriptions and services necessary to operate. Ironically, the sharing is with family (as it is a family business) that predates the commencement of the business. I didn't even know what MDM (Apple Device Management) was until you mentioned it and I Googled it myself. I just sent an inquiry to Apple's business team for help. Thanks so much for bringing this to my attention. It will certainly be necessary as we grow.

We do use G-Suite so that is another item I will consider.

Very helpful. Thank you.

Did you get this sorted in the end?

Drop me a DM if you still need a hand with anything - happy to help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.