Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Shortly after the launch of the iPad Pro, buyers began complaining about an issue that caused the iPad Pro to become unresponsive after charging, requiring a hard restart to restore functionality.

Apple has now responded to those complaints with a support document letting customers know it's looking into the problem and recommending the aforementioned hard restart as an interim fix.

iPad-Pro-Charging-800x400.jpg
To get back to using your iPad Pro, force restart it by pressing and holding both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons for at least ten seconds, until you see the Apple logo.

Apple is aware of this issue and is investigating.
After being charged, affected iPad Pros appear to be completely frozen, unresponsive to touch and other interactions. The screen remains dark until a reset is performed. The issue appears to be quite widespread, with complaints on the Apple Support Communities, the MacRumors forums, and reddit.

Both 32 and 128GB (Wi-Fi and LTE) iPad Pro models on iOS 9.1 have been affected, and it is not clear if the problem is related to hardware or software. Software is a strong possibility, as iPhone 6s and 6s Plus users started seeing a similar issue with their smartphones randomly powering off and becoming unresponsive last month.

Article Link: Apple 'Investigating' iPad Pros Unresponsive After Charging, Recommends Restart as Interim Fix

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Recommends Restart as Interim Fix, so what are the non-recommended ways?
A 30-30 and then taking it back to the Apple store and trying to make a warrantee claim?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NMBob

Cndnmax

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Sometimes my 6s takes a few seconds to wake after a night of charging, too. The other morning I found it frozen on the apple logo.

BigZ243

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
I have charged my 128GB Space Gray WiFi model twice and had this bug twice. I noticed that it's fine until it hits 100%. Leave it plugged in much longer after it hits 100% and then the screen will stay black until you do a reset.

On a side note...I know Apple wanted to get this out for the holiday season, but the lack of availability of Pencils and Smart Keyboards along with the troubles with the iPad Pro smells to me like they rushed this out a bit.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
Obviously a software error that can easily be fixed. Same issues popped up on iphones as they pointed out, I've had this happen on my 6s Plus twice since purchasing it. They'll fix it pretty quickly now that the word is getting out there.

Reactions: one more

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Seriously, Apple is no different than microsoft when it comes to excuses. Apple hate to admit their flaws...
Really? Then why did they bother posting this in their support document?

Apple is aware of this issue and is investigating.

This document will be updated as more information becomes available.
They're clearly stating something is wrong and they're looking for a solution. I don't see how that qualifies as hating to admit their flaws.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Apple will soon state that people are charging it wrong and turning the iPad off incorrectly. Seriously, Apple is no different than microsoft when it comes to excuses. Apple hate to admit their flaws...

They sent out a support document. They admitted there's a problem. They're looking into a fix.

Enough of this non-stop Apple hating already. Some of you just wait for any article to throw in any irrelevant blind criticism you can think of.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Really? Then why did they bother posting this in their support document?

They're clearly stating something is wrong and they're looking for a solution. I don't see how that qualifies as hating to admit their flaws.
Hating to admit won’t admit. It more points to a half and/or delayed answer.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
They sent out a support document. They admitted there's a problem. They're looking into a fix.

Enough of this non-stop Apple hating already. Some of you just wait for any article to throw in any irrelevant blind criticism you can think of.
Maybe because there's a reason for our hate. This is not the same apple we had 3 years ago. That was actually a company worth buying from. Nowadays, everything they make s garbage.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Maybe because there's a reason for our hate. This is not the same apple we had 3 years ago. That was actually a company worth buying from. Nowadays, everything they make s garbage.

Yeah, 16GB iPhones since the 3GS. It's a joke. Spinning platters in iMacs that cost so much is planned obsolescence. Non-intuitive software updates that work terribly. They're doing a lot that's contrary to Steve's legacy and really really sucks.

But this is an article about Apple saying they're looking for a fix about a documented problem. That's it. Just ease off on the criticism a little, not every article needs to be a springboard for Apple hate.

Reactions: 5105973

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I hate buggy software/hardware. HATE IT! And yet, as a developer, I know how hard it is to get things perfect, and it allows me to show some level of compassion. Additionally, after comparing things, I am still willing to spend on Apple, even with the few bugs, over just about anything else in the space. Not into Android, Windows, etc. So, yes apple please make every effort to fix this issue and prevent any future ones. But please do not listen to the haters here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.