Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook today told investors that Apple is continuing to invest in augmented reality, and that the company is "high on AR in the long run." Cook's comments came after he was questioned about Pokémon Go, the hit augmented reality game developed by Niantic Labs, Nintendo, and The Pokémon Company.

Cook, who continually referred to "Pokémon" as "Pokemans," said Pokémon Go is a "testament to what happens to innovative apps," giving the App Store credit for empowering developers to "press a button" and "offer a product around the world." He went on to say that augmented reality offers a great commercial opportunity and great opportunities for consumers.

Pokemon-GO-iOS-screenshots.jpg
AR can be really great. We have been and continue to invest a lot in this. We're high on AR in the long run and we think there are great things for customers and a great commercial opportunity. The number one thing is to make sure that our products work well with other developer's products like Pokémon, and that's why you see so many iPhones in the wild chasing Pokemans.
Cook went on to say that he believes augmented reality "can be huge." "We'll see whether it's the next platform," he said. "Regardless, it will be huge."

In the past, rumors have suggested Apple has a secret research team working on augmented reality and virtual reality, exploring the AR/VR field and investigating how the company could embrace augmented or virtual reality in the future.

Apple has also made a number of augmented reality acquisitions, purchasing companies like Metaio, Faceshift, and Flyby Media. How Apple might incorporate augmented reality into its products remains a mystery, but there are applications related to Maps and Photos that could be on the horizon.

Earlier this year, Cook made similar comments about virtual reality, calling it more than just a niche product. "It's really cool and it has some interesting applications," he said.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook on Augmented Reality: 'We Continue to Invest a Lot in This'

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
"The number one thing is to make sure that our products work well with other developer's products." I feel like this is the key statement... perhaps they're going to introduce AR in a way that leverages developers' existing work or makes it very easy to incorporate so that AR becomes a standard part of the iOS UX.

Reactions: jay-t

dtich

macrumors regular
May 27, 2007
I have no interest in either augmented or virtual reality, and don't believe that either area offers anything of interest to the general public.

That said, Apple have quite a lot of money, so they may feel that they can afford to invest in these areas.

um. both of those areas will be hugely innovative tech in the coming years, affecting many, many disciplines. so, you may have 'no interest', but you will be in the minority in the near future on this.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Well yeah because it's on topic here. There is a PRSI section for discussion about terror attacks. But I find reading about it and already losing one family friend to 9-11 suffices to depress me that I don't need to be discussing this horror constantly.

We should stay in a permanent state of sorrow and fear. That's the way to live life.

Sarcasm for the OP aside, my thoughts and condolences are with you. Best wishes! :)

(P.S.: you're not grumpy :))

Reactions: 5105973

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
Pokémon Go doesn't have impressive AR. It seems to just put the Pokémon in the middle of my camera view wherever I aim. It's really the real life location aspect of it that makes it great.

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
Sounds like a total PR BS, he's just saying what people want to hear. You can ask him about anything and he'll reply the same.

We have been and continue to invest a lot in this. We're high on [insert anything here] in the long run and we think there are great things for customers and a great commercial opportunity.

Suspended
Oct 1, 2014
Pokémon Go doesn't have impressive AR. It seems to just put the Pokémon in the middle of my camera view wherever I aim.
I believe that's because real-world object recognition is terrifically complicated, and programming for such a thing is no mean feat. As AR relies on overlays on the real world, it'll remain in its infancy until object recognition improves.

Of course, when that day comes we must take it as read that surveillance software will be equally capable, and so our privacy will be that much more liable to be diminished.

Technology is a tool, and can be wielded for good and ill alike. Or: be careful what you wish for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.