Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Markoth

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
Behind You
I have no interest in either augmented or virtual reality, and don't believe that either area offers anything of interest to the general public.

That said, Apple have quite a lot of money, so they may feel that they can afford to invest in these areas.
Here's an awesome application for you: an augmented-reality app which businesses advertise their services by simply having the user point their camera at the store front. Or perhaps a restaurant which could allow its users to point the camera at the menu, and get the full details of anything they'd like to try. There are so many options! Hopefully you can see its potential now. It really is awesome tech!

Last edited:

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Pokemans? Really, Tim?
I know right? I mean...

At this point, I bet even my grandma would not make that mistake.

Regardless, slightly more on topic: how about continuing to invest in making GPS less battery-eating?
There are many apps and uses to keep GPS on practically all the time, I'd love if my iPhone wouldn't essentially NEED that battery pack every day unless I only have 2 classes in uni.

I hope Pokémon Go makes this a hot enough topic that some R&D is being put into this...

On a related note, whatever happened to that Microsoft innovation where they supposedly calculate the GPS data in the cloud saving on battery usage because apparently all the calculation is what's so battery hungry and constant sending and receiving over cellular is apparently much more energy efficient?

Did anything ever come out of that?
This would be especially interesting, because Apple and Microsoft share their patents.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/res...-efficient-gps-sensing-with-cloud-offloading/

Glassed Silver:mac

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
I believe that's because real-world object recognition is terrifically complicated, and programming for such a thing is no mean feat. As AR relies on overlays on the real world, it'll remain in its infancy until object recognition improves.

Of course, when that day comes we must take it as read that surveillance software will be equally capable, and so our privacy will be that much more liable to be diminished.

Technology is a tool, and can be wielded for good and ill alike. Or: be careful what you wish for.
Yeah, I understand that it's very difficult... if you don't have a 3D camera. Maybe the iPhone will soon have a 3D camera to use for AR. Pokémon Go still could do a better job, even with the 2D camera, but it would maybe drain the battery. Anyway, it just wasn't very impressive in the end.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Ok Timmie. Lets see your AR :p

The problem with Timmy over the last few years, is everytime there's some new thing like this, VR, etc, he comes out at calls "we're on that!" or "we've got amazing things in store for that!"

but he hasn't delivered anything. Apple hasn't lived up to a single Hyperbolic statement Tim has said.

"best product pipeline ever", rinse. Repeat.

sure, he's gotta upsell. but, eventually you have to deliver or people will lose confidence. None of the products he's released have been "run away" success. The Mac Pro "can", the Apple watch, etc. None imho are BAD, but none are worthy of the hyperbole he's delivered

Jon Smythe

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2015
Not There
Isn't this stuff for 8 year-olds?
Apparently not. Today I saw a gaggle of University students with their iPhones plugged into battery packs in their backpacks wandering around collecting Pokémon. At least it gets them out of their parent's basements...

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I have no interest in either augmented or virtual reality, and don't believe that either area offers anything of interest to the general public.

That said, Apple have quite a lot of money, so they may feel that they can afford to invest in these areas.

Agreed, but at the rate he's wasting billions on things he thinks will huge, that windfall may not last very long. Sooner or later, these financial purchases will bite them right in the core.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Isn't this stuff for 8 year-olds?
Yes, it's for 8 year-olds. Only. Once you reach the age of 13 and go through the customary ritual of having your fun chip ceremonially removed, things like Pokémon Go obviously hold no interest. You'll be interested only in global politics and stock market reports, as is normal and expected. Unfortunately, somehow a lot of people made it past 13 years old without having their fun chips removed and these defective people are wandering the world as full grown adults who are still, sadly, having fun. World leaders are expected to get together soon to discuss how best to handle this unfortunate situation.

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
Yes, it's for 8 year-olds. Only. Once you reach the age of 13 and go through the customary ritual of having your fun chip ceremonially removed, things like Pokémon Go obviously hold no interest. You'll be interested only in global politics and stock market reports, as is normal and expected. Unfortunately, somehow a lot of people made it past 13 years old without having their fun chips removed and these defective people are wandering the world as full grown adults who are still, sadly, having fun. World leaders are expected to get together soon to discuss how best to handle this unfortunate situation.
You aren't one of the two guys, in Encinitas, who walked off a cliff playing this, are you?

They still had their "Fun Chips" in, I guess.

Markoth

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2015
Behind You
poke-eee-mahn????
You may have been joking, maybe not, but the accent over the "é" makes it make the "e" sound as in words like "mess" or "men", or in the French word "résumé" (yes, that is the correct way to spell it, not that most people do it that way anymore). So the correct pronunciation is "poke eh mahn".

echo44

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
I suggest many of you haters listen to the conference call! Apple has been considerably increasing R&D expenditure and Tim stated the majority of R&D money is being spent on products that have no relationship to currently shipping products!
He was also asked about Apple TV and stated this is just the very beginning of what Apple is actually planning to do with TV Os . Having been an Apple Junky since the beginning this has always been how apple works they take their time and watch other companies shortcomings and than pounce. Trust me they are about to pounce in a very big and unexpected way.

Reactions: EricTheHalfBee

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Yeah! Because Jobs and Wozniak never played video games when they're younger. They're very serious people and focused their life to be great. :rolleyes:

So you are asserting that Steve and Woz started Apple in their forties? Or are you claiming that when Steve was Tim's age bracket he was more familiar with Halo than Atari?

Speedy Dingo

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
Australia
Tim knows all the cool kids call them Pokemans.

4A3WG3NACXH63ZDCNOM4PE2GJIYZNBT7.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.