Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
I was playing music via the pandora app. Closed out of the app and music continues playing. Double tap to bring up the task switching menu and removing pandora from there will fully close it and stop playing the music. The next time I open the app it will reload it fully, splash screen and all.

As far as I'm concerned, removing an app from the task switching bar will, in fact, fully close out an app that is running in the background.

A bad choice of sentence on my part, I emphasise what I meant when I said "are not necessarily what is running...."

what I am saying is , just because its in the list doesn't mean it IS running. the list is sorted by last opened, for convenience of quick task switching. there may well be apps like pandora which are actually running and closing it will shut it down, but similarly if you open any app and close it, it will be first on your quick switch list.
Also for the apps to be running in the background, they need to be updated to do so using the new Api's.

my point is. when you see your quick switch task bar full of about 8 apps, don't panic, they arn't eating resource and you wont benefit from closing.

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
I noticed that the emoji category icons at the bottom have changed, subtly in some cases. They now use finer lines ... perhaps because they had to redraw the icons for the retina display? Unfortunately, there are no new emoji though.

Attachments

• emojicomp.jpg
    emojicomp.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 283

EHVio

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2010
anyone know of an app (legit or otherwise) that enables you to easily toggle between Edge and 3G?

seems like this would be very handy to do quick internets stuff 3G and then go back to boring Edge to save battery.

anyone?

I find it absurd that they don't just integrate some sort of "3G on demand".... It'd be so simple to implement... Turn the radio on only to ping the tower once every few minutes and then immediately back off, and allow apps to enable it when it's needed..... Easy, clean, and hours of use added to the battery life without having to toggle it yourself.... And I can't help but feel that it might help clean up the airways in large cities, maybe even improve network reliability.....

Magsec4

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2008
anyone know of an app (legit or otherwise) that enables you to easily toggle between Edge and 3G?

seems like this would be very handy to do quick internets stuff 3G and then go back to boring Edge to save battery.

anyone?

On/Off switch in the settings menu under Network? Settings app now remembers what settings page you were on, and with quick app switching view double-home-button-press makes it pretty easy to switch.

millerb7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
I find it absurd that they don't just integrate some sort of "3G on demand".... It'd be so simple to implement... Turn the radio on only to ping the tower once every few minutes and then immediately back off, and allow apps to enable it when it's needed..... Easy, clean, and hours of use added to the battery life without having to toggle it yourself.... And I can't help but feel that it might help clean up the airways in large cities, maybe even improve network reliability.....

Jailbreak....

SBS settings is AMAZING... gives a very quick popup menu with a toggle switch for all your settings that you choose.... including that.

bigpatky

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2007
here's a question hopefully someone can help me out with. i previously used m.google/sync as an exchange account for my gmail/google calendars/google contacts. i was able to choose which google calendars i wanted to sync. i wanted the option to archive (which i use quite often outside of my phone) so i got rid of the exchange account in the settings and added the regular GMAIL account which syncs gmail/google calendar/notes. for my google contacts, itunes lets me sync when i authenticate my google account.

now for the questions- i can archive now but i can't delete. is there anyway to have the option to do both? i like the slide option to archive and then use the trash icon to delete.

my other problem/question is that for calendars, it only gives me the option of my main calendar (not others, i use about 7-8 different calendars from my google account which previously synced fine) and also a birthday calendar. is there an option i'm missing somewhere to allow me to sync the other calendars?

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
Emoji doesn't have to be enabled with an app anymore and it's no longer under Japanese.

sjn419

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2010
Hold down your finger a little longer than normal when clicking a link and an option to open in a new page or same page will open up. (I think this is new)

pirateRACE

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2010
I'm away from my sync computer... I've been wondering if "places" will work with photos from the camera roll (that you take) or only for those from iPhoto.

Anyone have a chance to take a peak at this? Thanks in advance.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I'm away from my sync computer... I've been wondering if "places" will work with photos from the camera roll (that you take) or only for those from iPhoto.

Anyone have a chance to take a peak at this? Thanks in advance.

It will. The ones I took with my 3GS where location was enabled for Camera now show up in Places for me, and I don't use iPhoto on my mac.

Pokernut

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2009
Couple questions.

Where is the toggle to turn on Note syncing? Also, has anyone been able to sync with their Apple keyboard yet? I go to settings -> bluetooth but it can't find my keyboard.

bmwhd

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
A bad choice of sentence on my part, I emphasise what I meant when I said "are not necessarily what is running...."

what I am saying is , just because its in the list doesn't mean it IS running. the list is sorted by last opened, for convenience of quick task switching. there may well be apps like pandora which are actually running and closing it will shut it down, but similarly if you open any app and close it, it will be first on your quick switch list.
Also for the apps to be running in the background, they need to be updated to do so using the new Api's.

my point is. when you see your quick switch task bar full of about 8 apps, don't panic, they arn't eating resource and you wont benefit from closing.

First image is from Sys Activity Monitor with 10 apps open (some Apple, some 3rd party:

photo1.PNG

Next image taken after manually closing all apps except for Sys Activity Monitor:

photo2.PNG

As you can see, even the 'idle' apps are taking up memory.

DaGreat01

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
lol oh. IM new to iphone since 2 weeks ago but it never did this till today lol

PLEASE tell me you didn't just buy a 3G or 3GS 2 weeks ago and that you saw it in the middle of the street so you stopped your car thinking it was a turtle trying to cross the street but it was really an iPhone PLEASE:eek:

DaGreat01

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
First image is from Sys Activity Monitor with 10 apps open (some Apple, some 3rd party:

photo1.PNG

Next image taken after manually closing all apps except for Sys Activity Monitor:

photo2.PNG

But what's the big deal about it taking up memory? If the phone needs more it will close some to make space...

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR

photo1.PNG

photo2.PNG

This is why Apple doesn't include an activity monitor, because users who don't really know what's going on get pissed because their RAM is being used.

bmwhd

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
This is why Apple doesn't include an activity monitor, because users who don't really know what's going on get pissed because their RAM is being used.

Um, this 'user' has likely forgotten more about software development than you'll ever know, though I'm not an expert on this platform. Also, I'm not 'pissed', just pointing out my observations during the beta program on iOS4. After a while of having a dozen or so apps on the dock, I would get the 'low memory' popup. Now I'll allow that it could be that was an early beta issue and the GM may well manage memory and apps correctly but characterizing apps in the dock as nothing more than links to recently executed apps isn't correct.

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
Argh, you still can't clear a single number from Recent Calls? You can only Clear All.

So annoying!!

This really bothers me too.

anyone?

I know SBSettings has been suggested (I love it on my JB'd iPhone), but just so you know no legit Apple application will be available for this, as developers cannot produce an app that contain APIs that change network/wifi/bluetooth/etc status.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.