Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

white4s

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2011
New Jersey
up until the 6 apple were never followers, only a leader. shamesung is a follower, which in return is not being innovative

like i really need to wave my hand over a TOUCHscreen to go to the next page or photo:rolleyes:

:apple::apple:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
No offense, but that is kind of a useless comparison. :)
None taken. It was merely something I noticed when we went on vacation and got back from vacation. Obviously, performance and features (e.g. camera, display, GPS, LTE) would take precedence for a device used as a smartphone. :p

That said, it does tell me I'm better off using the original iPhone as alarm clock instead of the 4S. ;)

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Other than the camera and larger screen on the S5, I still take my 5S.

I do hope Apple steps up on the camera!

Actually it sounds like samsung needs to step up. I realize everybody has there opinion, but very credible review I've read stated each phone has it's strengths and weaknesses. That's a whole different thing than saying apple should step it up.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Actually it sounds like samsung needs to step up. I realize everybody has there opinion, but very credible review I've read stated each phone has it's strengths and weaknesses. That's a whole different thing than saying apple should step it up.

Excuse me for playing devils advocate but you saying Samsung should step it up is no different then the above quoted saying Apple should step it up. That is if we agree both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Personally I think Apple should make the camera better. Not to compete with anyone else but just because I want the best they could possibly offer.

Frankly I'm impressed with what a phone camera is capable of this day in age.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Excuse me for playing devils advocate but you saying Samsung should step it up is no different then the above quoted saying Apple should step it up. That is if we agree both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Personally I think Apple should make the camera better. Not to compete with anyone else but just because I want the best they could possibly offer.

Frankly I'm impressed with what a phone camera is capable of this day in age.

Play devils advocate. Samsung released a flagship phone that didn't conclusively beat a year old 5s phone. Sure apple should step up, why not? Better iq, dynamic range, f stop, lens flash and the like. But that is not the point.

An opinion was floated that goes against multiple other credible reviews; which is fine. Someone's opinion is their opinion.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

While you trust someone else's review and I will trust having my better halfs S5 and my 5S side by side displaying the same images.

Everybody does have their own opinion, but I tend to trust what I have found hands on after looking at images on both phones and after running though PhotoShop.

I can not let my love for Apple blind me to reality, but then it is only my opinion. :apple:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
While you trust someone else's review and I will trust having my better halfs S5 and my 5S side by side displaying the same images.

Everybody does have their own opinion, but I tend to trust what I have found hands on after looking at images on both phones and after running though PhotoShop.

I can not let my love for Apple blind me to reality, but then it is only my opinion. :apple:

I understand what you say, but when you have a bunch of people on the web essentially making the same conclusion, they can't all be in cahoots or wrong.

I'm glad you can be objective though.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
Thats just a great way of twisting everything.

The S5's screen maybe brighter but you can't see it in sunlight and it suffers badly from screen burn.

There is no stats to say that the S5's extra RAM runs the phone faster than the 5s.

Play store over the app store? Well the app store still attracts more developers and apps still come out faster on iOS than Android. Also an openness to unsecured software leads to a lot problems.

App design, show me an Android app design I'd willingly take over it's iOS counter part.

Screen size, fair enough but that is being addressed in the next iPhone, also the fact that so many people have willingly stuck with the iPhone despite the smaller screen says a lot.

Wearable technology, well thats still very much in it's infancy.

NFC, Wireless charging, the stats for the percentage of people who use these are rather low, very low in fact.

Camera, well personally I've yet to see any sufficient differences between top end smart phones camera's.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Play devils advocate. Samsung released a flagship phone that didn't conclusively beat a year old 5s phone. Sure apple should step up, why not? Better iq, dynamic range, f stop, lens flash and the like. But that is not the point.

An opinion was floated that goes against multiple other credible reviews; which is fine. Someone's opinion is their opinion.

I see. You are saying because it's newer it actually should be better in most/all aspects. Gotcha.

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
Wake me up when Android has anything similar and as seamless to continuity on iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite

Wake me up when the Play Store starts having real exclusive apps or games that are launched months before any other platform or even as exciting as the App Store

Wake me up when any Android phone has a significantly superior camera to the 8-megapixel one on the iPhone 5s

I'm not saying Google isn't innovating or that Apple is the best innovator, it's just that we all need to stop with this blathering that one platform is superior to the other. Google is better in one thing, and Apple is better in the other.

I have 3 phones from all platforms (iPhone 4S, Moto X, Nokia 1020) and I believe iOS and Android are closer than ever. But to me iOS still feels easier to operate on a daily basis, and the App Store still has the better selection of apps and feels more exciting since it gets updated weekly with new featured apps, while the Play Store tries to be more curated for the user but it fails for me.

No one platform is clearly better than the other or has innovated significantly more. Both have contributed a lot to technology, and we as consumers have the choice :)

Phillyfinest89

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2013
Buy which ever phone you freaking like. I have samsung and apple products and both do different things that meets MY needs.

----------

I think that some of you people go overboard over NOTHING.

pure-rockstar

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
I don't see anything wrong with switching to an Android phone. Except one thing of course.

They need to get all the apps. I mean how you expect me to switch when half the apps available on iOS isn't there?

I mean if Android had a bigger app market then I might switch.

But that's not the case.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I don't see anything wrong with switching to an Android phone. Except one thing of course.

They need to get all the apps. I mean how you expect me to switch when half the apps available on iOS isn't there?

I mean if Android had a bigger app market then I might switch.

But that's not the case.

Which apps? I've never found this to be case with my experience with Android. Obviously this varies from person to person as everyone has different apps but of my 64 apps on my iPhone I can find every single one on Google Play. Ironically the vast majority are cheaper and use less storage space too, don't know why that is.

pure-rockstar

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
Which apps? I've never found this to be case with my experience with Android. Obviously this varies from person to person as everyone has different apps but of my 64 apps on my iPhone I can find every single one on Google Play. Ironically the vast majority are cheaper and use less storage space too, don't know why that is.

I always wished they had an app that could scan your phone and see what's available on Android and what isn't.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I always wished they had an app that could scan your phone and see what's available on Android and what isn't.

I think aside for some REALLY obscure apps and proprietary apps (like an app for only the company you work for) you'll be able to find most everything and if not an alternative that is slightly better or worse.

When I switched to iOS from Android is where I noticed the lack of apps. Not in support but in capability. Like a file explorer app, or a wifi analyzer app, or torrent app, or a random sensor app (like barometer for example), etc.

It's not that the dev community isn't there it's just iOS doesn't support certain things or allow certain things in the App Store.

joshkhaos1

Suspended
Jul 24, 2014
Having used both iOS and Android OS's multiple times I can hoenstly say Android even with all of the bells and whistles that it has cannot hold a candle up to the functionality of iOS. It all comes from Apple handling the hardware and the software together.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Having used both iOS and Android OS's multiple times I can hoenstly say Android even with all of the bells and whistles that it has cannot hold a candle up to the functionality of iOS. It all comes from Apple handling the hardware and the software together.

INTEGRATION vs. FRAGMENTATION

The fandroids can scream all they want about that "not mattering anymore" but it does. When less than TWENTY percent of the hardware for Android even has ACCESS to the latest version of the OS (4.4.4 I believe), it's a telling statistic.

You could literally buy the "latest and greatest" Android phone today, and within a few months be wondering whether or not you would even be GETTING the latest update, let alone worrying whether or not it is "intentionally slowing your phone down".

Having hundreds of handsets all running different versions of the OS means developers have to decide who to write for. That doesn't matter? Okie dokie.

Then you have resale, hardware quality, SERVICE (when was the last time you walked into the Samsung store with a problem, met with a Savant, and walked out with a working phone??? You didn't. You shipped your phone off and crossed your fingers you'd see it back before the NEW Galaxy was announced)... not to mention that it plays nice with iTunes, AppleTV, thousands of accessories and cars... the list just goes ON AND ON...

Look, the Android platform has come a LONG way from the crapfest it began as. That's great. GFT (good for them). I'll just stay with what works thank you. No sense in hoping something stays the latest and greatest when I can just buy an iPhone and KNOW it will be for at least the next year, then sell it and get the next one (usually making a profit, even if that is lessening).

Android just isn't there yet. Even with it's 64GB of RAM and 18" screen. It just doesn't stack up.

:apple:

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
Which made my iPhone 4s unusable after iOS 7. They did the same to iPhone 3Gs owners with iOS 4 and after they fixed it, their iPhone were never the same. To make people buy new phones. Ruined by updates.

I wish I could up vote this a BILLION times. My 3G or 3GS because so slow after an OS update. To add insult to injury you couldn't revert back. Oh, sure I could have overlooked the constant reminders that there was an update waiting for my phone, but who really does that?

Left for android and will never look back. I've been burned by proprietary software much too often personally and professionally. Ain't ever going down that road again.

joshkhaos1

Suspended
Jul 24, 2014
Totally agree. I have owned both the Samsung Galaxy S4 and the Note 3 for a period of time just out of curiosity of Android, and while it wasn't quite as bad with the S4, I just almost felt silly with the Note 3 when it comes to support for the phone. Its just almost nonexistant. I went to Target one day (shortly after the release of the S5) to look for a case, and the guy working in electronics was like "Yeah we don't carry anything for the Note 3 anymore."...Wow. That phone hasn't even been out for a year, is the current flagship for that specific model, and there is still no support.

Another thing I noticed was that even though the Note 3 did get Kit Kat upgrade, it doesn't look ANYTHING like the version of Kit Kat that the S5 has...which is already not the true vanilla version.

It's all just so confusing, and that's why I came running back to Apple. I may not have all of the bells and whistles that Android users have, but my phone works. I can't tell you how many times I had to go into my Note 3 and clear the ram, kill apps, go in and see what was using so much of my phones resources...etc.

Android phones come out like clockwork and brands even canibalize themselves when they release 6 different versions of the same phone. Just with the S5 there is already an S5 active, and an S5 mini on the way I'm sure.

Yuck.

The fandroids can scream all they want about that "not mattering anymore" but it does. When less than TWENTY percent of the hardware for Android even has ACCESS to the latest version of the OS (4.4.4 I believe), it's a telling statistic.

You could literally buy the "latest and greatest" Android phone today, and within a few months be wondering whether or not you would even be GETTING the latest update, let alone worrying whether or not it is "intentionally slowing your phone down".

Having hundreds of handsets all running different versions of the OS means developers have to decide who to write for. That doesn't matter? Okie dokie.

Then you have resale, hardware quality, SERVICE (when was the last time you walked into the Samsung store with a problem, met with a Savant, and walked out with a working phone??? You didn't. You shipped your phone off and crossed your fingers you'd see it back before the NEW Galaxy was announced)... not to mention that it plays nice with iTunes, AppleTV, thousands of accessories and cars... the list just goes ON AND ON...

Look, the Android platform has come a LONG way from the crapfest it began as. That's great. GFT (good for them). I'll just stay with what works thank you. No sense in hoping something stays the latest and greatest when I can just buy an iPhone and KNOW it will be for at least the next year, then sell it and get the next one (usually making a profit, even if that is lessening).

Android just isn't there yet. Even with it's 64GB of RAM and 18" screen. It just doesn't stack up.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
I stopped reading after "Devices sometimes get sluggish, Long says. Imagine how frustrating this must be on an iPhone. While Android devices are loaded with up to 3GB RAM, iPhones are stuck with 1GB."

This is exactly where I stopped. I don't waste my time reading gibberish written by people who don't know what they're talking about.

joshkhaos1

Suspended
Jul 24, 2014
Me too. I can't even tell you how many times I looked at the Note 3 ram and saw that it was almost 80% full. My iPhone 5S with its 1gig ram runs circles around the Note 3 I had which had 3 times the ram.

This is exactly where I stopped. I don't waste my time reading gibberish written by people who don't know what they're talking about.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Buy which ever phone you freaking like. I have samsung and apple products and both do different things that meets MY needs.

----------

I think that some of you people go overboard over NOTHING.

Yep. It really is quite laughable. I have both Apple and Android products as well. I'd rather embrace all the technology out there.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

I think they say it doesn't matter because it rarely does. For example all the apps I owned an used when I was (still am, just not primarily) using Android work on Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean (w/ and w/o project butter) and KitKat. That's 5 versions of Android that made no difference to me the end user.

Features that come with a new version of the OS isn't a very good example either because Apple leaves out features for older devices too. An example would be Siri on the iPhone 4. Why would my Motorola Xoom get Google Now with Jelly Bean but my iPad 2 didn't get Siri with iOS 5? The iPad 2 is newer then the Motorola Xoom. Hardware? Seemed to work flawlessly when JB.

Yet people rave about Apple updates because they get a higher number next to version under settings.

To me updates between both have their pros and cons and someone saying Android updates don't matter isn't necessarily lying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.