Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bye Bye Baby

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2004
i(am in the)cloud
Let's hope so

I just hope Apple (read: Steve) learn from their mistakes!!! They should realise that they are new comers into a very big game. No matter how wonderful they think their products are, if the market doesn't think so, then there goes Million$!!! The market for cell phones is mature and most buyers, especially in this category, are savvy. They have had a phone like this before and they know what they want it to do. If Apple takes too much the approach that our product is 'soooo gooooood' you must be willing to a pay premium to use it- then maybe they just won't. Cubes, newton and the like. :(

No body emphasises that the thing will be locked. How is any business user going to use it. Most of us have at least two different sim cards. Now do i need a phone for every sim. Not at $600 a throw!!! :eek:

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Clio Award Winner Worthy • Eberg Soundtrack Makes It Work Wonderfully

that was the worst add ever. i was so upset:( but i forgive you sj, the iphone will rule them all!!!:apple: :apple: :apple: :apple:
Clio Winning Worthy. One of the Best Apple Ads in the history of the company and one of the best ads in the history of advertising. The Eberg song "Inside Your Head" is an amazingly effective complement to the many "Hello"s. :) Loved it so much I bought the maxi-single on iTunes. :eek:

voicegy

macrumors 65816
Award Winning?

Although I said I would shut up about the comparison of the Oscar Apple Ad to Marclay's video work, that was before I took another cruise of this thread and noticed that member LeeTom (Post 293) actually mentioned the resemblance before fellow member Winterstate (Post 305) - and LeeTom took the time to dig up an excerpt from the artists' 1995 "Telephone" piece. Well done, LeeTom - I wanted so much to convey my shock at the similarity, and you did it with a link. You should all see it...

Again, yeah, nice ad, Apple. But it didn't rock my boat.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Hello Ad Is An Homage To Christian Marclay's 1995 "Telephone" Film Art Piece

Christian Marclay's video piece entitled "Telephones"

Has anyone seen Christian Marclay's video piece entitled "Telephones"? If this wasn't inspired by it, I would be pretty surprised.

' "Telephones" is a cinematic collage featuring a succession of edited film clips from classic Hollywood movies - a collage which focuses attention on the telephone conversation as a ritual of everyday life.'

Check out this small clip of "Telephones", from 1995
Thank you so much LeeTom and thank you Voicegy for reminding us this link is back on post #293 which I happily brought up here for all to use without having to go back several pages to find it.
so nobody else noticed that this ad was a complete rip-off of christian marclay's 'telephone' from like 2004 or 2005?
Good call Winterstate. Aparently your were off by a decade, but good call none the less. Thanks for setting us straight. Now to find out the creative person at Apple's ad agency who is responsible for the plagerism. :mad: :eek:

Well I've had a chance to actually look at the clip now. And I dont see the Apple "Hello" ad as a "rip-off" at all. I see it as a derivative of Christian Marclay's "Telephone" not a "complete rip-off". Isn't all art a derivative of some other art? If anything the "Hello" ad is an Homage to Marclay - not a "rip-off". I think he probably loves what the agency did based on his earlier contribution. The ad is in fact a distinctly different piece of art. That's why I think it's Clio award winning worthy. :)

typerlover

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2006
How is it distinctly different, it doesn't have narration throughout it or that catchy $.99 itunes song?

Looks like it is exactly the same to me, either way neither of the two ideas should be considered award worthy.

I think most of the appeal to this new ad is simply the fact that apple is not attacking any competitors and is keeping things fairly minimal and simplistic.

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
This was a teaser-ad, so there was little point in showing off functionality or the UI just yet. That will come later, closer to the time. For now, it was intended to be a little attention-grabber, and in that sense it worked just fine.

MA.

floatingspirit

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2001
Seattle, WA
Total Geekness (no offense folks)

They played the ad again tonight during CSI Miami. Not sure if anyone had mentioned that yet. IN FACT, they are playing it this very instant at 11:46 on Cartoon Network. So, Oscars, CSI, Family Guy. Where else is it being shown?

They just ran it during what I believe is the season premiere of House at 9:30pm LA time :) Wow, what kind of Apple geek am I to post commercial sightings!?

During the Oscars it just blended in for me cuz I wasn't sure if it was an Oscar thing or a commercial, so I didn't notice it, but it was kind of appropriate for the audience. This time the "hello's" got my attention, even before I recognized the commercial. Cool design.

voicegy

macrumors 65816
Artist Marclay speaks

Thank you so much LeeTom and thank you Voicegy for reminding us this link is back on post #293 which I happily brought up here for all to use without having to go back several pages to find it.Good call Winterstate. Aparently your were off by a decade, but good call none the less. Thanks for setting us straight. Now to find out the creative person at Apple's ad agency who is responsible for the plagerism. :mad: :eek:

Well I've had a chance to actually look at the clip now. And I dont see the Apple "Hello" ad as a "rip-off" at all. I see it as a derivative of Christian Marclay's "Telephone" not a "complete rip-off". Isn't all art a derivative of some other art? If anything the "Hello" ad is an Homage to Marclay - not a "rip-off". I think he probably loves what the agency did based on his earlier contribution. The ad is in fact a distinctly different piece of art. That's why I think it's Clio award winning worthy. :)

Clio-Schmilo.

Props to fellow Demi-God Multimedia for taking the time to put all relevant links and information regarding our little sub-subject (Apple rips off Video Artist Marclay?) in one post - most handy, and very cool. :)

In a fascinating and relevant turn of events, the truth has come out about the "inspiration" of the Oscar night iPhone ad:

"Apple approached Marclay to use his work. Marclay refused Apple's advances, but Apple took advantage anyway. Since asking the source had short-circuited, Apple instead took to using extremely similar footage, making the iPhone commercial nothing short of a complete color copy of (Marclay's video piece 'Telephones'.)"

- and the artist Marclay has made a statement about the iPhone ad:

"The way they dealt with the whole thing is pretty sleazy," said Marclay. "I'm just honored that they thought my work was interesting enough that they felt they could just rip it off."

More interesting reading here:

http://tinyurl.com/ywrthz

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.