Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Appleinsider reports that Apple has filed for another trademark for the "iPhone" term on September 15th with "a Far Eastern trademark office". The filing describes the iPhone as under "handheld and mobile digital electronic devices for the sending and receiving of telephone calls, faxes, electronic mail, and other digital data; MP3 and other digital format audio players".

Apple's rumored phone has been dubbed "iPhone" due to Apple's ownership of the iPhone.org domain name for the past seven years. Apple, however, owns a number of unused domain names.

More evidence of a legitimate interest in the iPhone name came when Apple filed for iPhone trademarks in Australia and the UK in 2002. This is only the latest filing is of iPhone trademarks. Interestingly, another company has the iPhone trademark in the U.S.

Meanwhile, Prudential analysts released a research note to their clients indicating that according to their "checks", Apple's entry into the phone market would come in two forms. One model is expected to be a "smart phone" with integrated keyboard, video and music capabilities while the other model would be a slimmer phone that just played music.

Reportedly, there are some concerns about market acceptance and battery life and Apple is only planning to market the phones in limited quantities to test the market.

Incidentally they also believe that the long rumored "wide screen video iPod" will begin production in the December quarter, but is not expected to see a release until next year.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
yikes - I want my video iPod now, not in 2007!

I wish the new set top box, iPhone, and widescreen video iPod would be out by November. Holiday shopping would be so easy!!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Apple smart phone with keyboard? I could definitely be talked into that.

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
if apple came out with an iPhone the size of the RAZR or smaller with the same capacity/functionality as an 8GB iPod nano, id buy it.

if it did all that AND had functionality like a pda, id sell my grandmother to buy it.

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
yea yea yea

At this point, I will believe it when I see it. I think that the only thing all these Darn rumors say is how much everyone in general would love an apple phone. Done right, an iphone could easily replace most peoples phones and ipods. Add into that the possibility of home on ipod and WiFi, and I see a winner. But this is all speculation... ill belive it when i see it
My personal dream phone would be simple yet packed:
sleek flip phone, simple design, WiFi and Video chat capable
I think this would really push forward communication, and make video chat a real thing. imagine if people were also using their phones at home with iChat for windows. apple sells ichat forthe PC as well, and everyone intercommunicates flawlessly where ever they are. Kind of like waht the ipod did for music the iphone could do for communication

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
every time a rumor comes up regarding "the" iPhone I will vote negative for it. i just can't hear it anymore.

If they release one, good, but please stop the rumors.

iPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhone

DanielK

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2005
Baltimore, MD
Hmm... I've held off on buying both a new phone and a new iPod for a while now, assuming that I'd want whatever phone Apple eventually comes out with, but the mention of battery life issues concerns me. If the battery goes dead on my iPod, no big deal, I don't listen to music until I charge it again. But if the battery goes dead on my phone, I could miss an important call. And if I have to monitor how much music I listen to to ensure that I can still receive calls, that might be a problem. Ideally, they could address this concern by having some software that told you well in advance that if you stop listening to music now, you still have so much time left on your phone.

Scottyk9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Canada
Tymmz said:
every time a rumor comes up regarding "the" iPhone I will vote negative for it. i just can't hear it anymore.

ummm....

..... you do know the name of the website where you are reading / posting? This may give you some indication as to whether or not you will be exposed to rumor - mongering.

:D

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
It will be a surprise if they don't name a phone iPhone after getting all those trademarks. They certainly wouldn't save it for another future product while coming out with an Apple-branded phone.

Is there any chance they have another name in mind for their product but got the patents in order to lock up the name to prevent competitors from using it? Personally, I doubt it.

macfan70

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2006
iPhone Pro!!

PDA! Oh man, if it can match some of my treo's functions. I will drop my current contract in a heart beat. ((BEAT)) :p

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
Does this tell us anything? The iPhone will eventually come out... great! Before it comes out, it will be tested... double great!

As for the random iPod tidbit at the bottom, it has nothing to do with the rest of the rumor. On another note, does it make any sense? Why would apple start production on the new iPod in December? When would the release be then?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
darwen said:
Why would apple start production on the new iPod in December? When would the release be then?

It would be released at MWSF, just after the new year. Makes perfect sense...although a lot of people were hoping it would come sooner.

andrew050703

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2006
Portsmouth, U.K
Tymmz said:

iPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhoneiPhone

heheh - you forgot the 'memron' laptops next tuesday rumors :rolleyes:

seriously though, is there any need for nanos or ipods if these new candybar/smartpda iphones come out? I mean what's the advantage of having two devices (phone & ipod) when you can just have the one - most likely cheaper - so is this the death of the ipod?

dloomer

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
blueflame said:
At this point ill believe it when I see it. I think that the only thing all these Darn rumors asy is how mcuh everyone in general would love an apple phone. done right, an iphone could easily replace most peoples phones and ipods. add into it, home on ipod, and I see a winner. but this is all speculation... ill belive it when i see it

Here's what I'm sick and tired of:

"The video iPod will come out this summer."
"The video iPod won't be ready until 2007."
"The video iPod will come out this fall."
"The video iPod will still come out this year sometime."
"The video iPod will still come out this year. No, seriously this time."

Give me a break.

timmillwood

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2006
I would love to see a 4gb nano phone which qwerty keyboard, 3mp camera, wi-fi and GPS

iPhone Pro would be a good name

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
NOTHING will be released until January. Looking at the buyer's guide, only two products since January 2002 have been released in November or December. The two exceptions are the 1.8 GHz Dual PowerMacG5 and the 20" iMac G4. To my understanding, no iPod line has ever been released or revised in November or December. I can see an iPhone being released at MWSF, but I doubt it as I haven't seen any evidence of it in Engadget Mobile's FCC Fridays report. True video iPod: I don't know why they'd do something like that. What's wrong with the design of the iPod with a physical wheel and all that's been used for five years?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
DanielK said:
Hmm... I've held off on buying both a new phone and a new iPod for a while now, assuming that I'd want whatever phone Apple eventually comes out with, but the mention of battery life issues concerns me. If the battery goes dead on my iPod, no big deal, I don't listen to music until I charge it again. But if the battery goes dead on my phone, I could miss an important call. And if I have to monitor how much music I listen to to ensure that I can still receive calls, that might be a problem. Ideally, they could address this concern by having some software that told you well in advance that if you stop listening to music now, you still have so much time left on your phone.

No offense, but how many cell phone calls are really that important? None, given all the ones I overhear on a daily basis. :D

I could see a nifty little battery app on an iPod/iPhone device. Turn off music player when battery reaches x% or something like that.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
^ Yeah, how about voicemail? If its that important they'll leave a message. Shoot sometimes I even turn off my cell *GASP!* Dude, you need to go camping once in a while and get away from the world.

In my opinion, I don't think the "iPhone" will have more than 1GB just so that it wouldn't affect the sales of the lower capacity Nanos (the shuffle is an exception because its tiny and has a relatively lower concept).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.