Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pooshka

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2008
I don't understand why people want the apps to be merged.
Surely it's like saying you think the phone and sms app to be merged.
You really can't see a parallel between iMessage, FaceTime and iChat???

It's not like we want Safari, GarageBand and Mail combined. :rolleyes:

mKizzo

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
...That would be plan annoying having 3 different apps. Just merge them into one simple app.... iChat!

100% agree. the theory is there but the implementation so far is horrible. If i want to facetime a computer from iOS I have no indication if the user is online.

And for the record, iChat was the best name iMessage is the worst!

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Because Trillian needs to be installed & a screenname. iMessage is built into iOS...people will be using it & not even know it. Yes, there are 10-20 great Instant Messaging apps available that work on BB, Android, iPhone - however, the user must actively install it & have an account.

iMessage will be on every single iOS 5 device without the using having to download it.

It may not be the best solution, but I just like anything that will catch on & take away the insane SMS fees/pricing.

I agree that SMS pricing is ridiculous (although O2 in the UK have switched to unlimited texts on all their contract plans, at the expense of unlimited data, grr :mad: ), but this sort of thing would only be a viable alternative if it were made an open standard. Most people still won't have access to this service so we'll still need to text them.

Speaking of open standards, anyone heard anything about FaceTime being standardised recently?

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Google voice text? I need to do some research. Part of the reason my wife's miffed about my going from Android to iPhone is that she can't use her Blackberry to message my iPhone except through SMS, which stinks due to the 140 character limit. Up to now, we've been using Google Talk, but I always thought hat wasn't push on an iPhone.

Is there a good way for a BB to talk to an iPhone that I don't know about?

(and sorry if I'm threadjacking)

m.
Its up and coming but not yet ready: viber
http://www.viber.com/

it works very well, been doing calls to android without a hitch. You need a fairly good connection though. 3G is almost mandatory. (Good Edge signals can work too)

I dont know what kind of texting plans do you have their? I get like 1000 messages with my plan that costs about 10 euros/month. (Also 1000minutes in to the same provider, but ****, only 100mb mobile internet, which sucks.)

I don't use face time. Using a camera really bugs me.

Steelers7510

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2010
Lake Tahoe
Wow it feels like it's been so long since Apple showcased iOS5 that I forgot a bunch of stuff. I forgot how much I was looking forward to iMessage.

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
I love the idea of ditching the asinine text messaging plans for my Wife and I. That's $10 a month of extortion I don't need.

For the instances where we want to send a text message to someone not on an iPhone, it should be cheaper to pay the per-message fee. I think I have maybe 2 or 3 friends, at most, who I text regularly and don't have an iPhone. The dozen or so others are all on iPhones.

I also think this is superbly clever of APple to gain insurmountable market traction before releasing iMessage. They want to topple the ridiculous 160 character limit, and insane pay scheme that is in place. They couldn't do that until they had so many iPhones in the market, that the carriers couldn't say "no."

Lastly, this may make an iPod Touch a viable communication medium for students who don't need voice.

PURE GENIUS, brought to you by pervasive market penetration. Mobile service providers would never let this happen if they had a choice.

thatguy488

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2011
I'm sure they will as soon as BlackBerry releases a BBM app for iOS or Android.

Hey Dorv, did u ever find an old version of Airfoil Speakers that works on 3.1.3 *(old iphone 2g).

I replied to your thread you made about it but guessing you don't get a notification and couldn't find out how to PM you so.. I'm stalking you now. LOL!

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008
I think Facetime should go and be integrated as part of iMessage/iChat

This must be their intention, right? They seem to always try their best to streamline their products. It's an AWESOME idea that I'm really excited for, but not rolling them all into one app seems cumbersome.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Will there be a way (like viber) to have ichat or iPhone to scan all of your contacts and be able to tell you who is eligible to use message?

If so, may not be a bad idea to scan my addy book and dump my 20/mo texting plan.

I assume that's how it'll work.

BrettJDeriso

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2010
Northern Virginia
I don't see what the big deal is...

You've always been able to use iChat to send texts to someone's iPhone (or any mobile phone, for that matter). Simply use "1+phone_number@aol.com" as the recipient address, and you can chat back and forth between mobile and desktop all day. Granted, it's not full iOS/iChat integration, and standard mobile messaging rates apply, but the capability is there.

I agree with those who say Internet-based (non SMS) texting, media sharing, and Facetime video should all be collapsed to one app that works with the desktop version of iChat, but Apple seem to be taking their sweet time getting there. I think it's just one of those cases where they think there is a sales-driven reason not to combine them, and they don't feel they owe anyone an explanation for the awkward disconnect.

-LikesMac-

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
Best Combo...

What we need is iChat + iMessage + FaceTime. (iMessage and FaceTime gets integrated into iChat). That would be best. :D

rebscb

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2002
News on iMessage in Lion?

It is January 2012: is there any new news on integrating iMessage into OS X Lion for Mac and FaceTime? I am about to sell my iPad 2 and would like to retain the ability to iMessage from my Macbook Air (within facetime would be ideal). Thanks for any updates in advance. Happy New Year to all!

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
It is January 2012: is there any new news on integrating iMessage into OS X Lion for Mac and FaceTime? I am about to sell my iPad 2 and would like to retain the ability to iMessage from my Macbook Air (within facetime would be ideal). Thanks for any updates in advance. Happy New Year to all!

No news yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.