Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
check this out:
http://us.acer.com/acereuro/page4.d...aram=US&LanguageISOCtxParam=en&crc=3376012222

this thing is 12 inches, 1 inch thick, has a core duo!!! yea it doesn't have a built in DVD drive, but look at ALL those features it comes with instead, amazing, what's taking Apple so long to give me my MBP 12!!

if Widnows was half as stable as Mac OSx I would have probably gotten this laptop, but oh well, no matter how long, I'm waiting for a 12" MBP :D

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
they want to sell 15" MBP first then the replacements for the 12" and 17" Powerbooks will come

more money to be made that way !

or you will get the threads coming lol "12 inch MBP v's 15 inch v's 17 inch"

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
Man, that thing is hideous. I don't know why a company would make a computer looking like such a misfit on purpose.

gamestriker

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2004
Jericho2550 said:
...what's taking Apple so long to give me my MBP 12!!

I don't know...I would rather see a 13.3" Widescreen MacBook Pro, with a 2.0GHz Core Duo, standard. Basically, it would keep the same screen height, just add a little more space on the sides, and maybe even some decent speakers. Keep the ports all nicely arranged on one side of the machine, the SuperDrive (which would come standard 8x DL :) ) on the other side.

I also hope the reinforce the back of the screen; I learned the hard way that even the slighest bit of pressure will destroy your screen i.e. dead pixels, faded pixel areas, etc. and I find it ridiculous that Apple hasn't tried to reinforce that back considering they know how fragile the screen is and that it costs $1,259 to replace (that's 3/4 the cost of my entire machine when I bought; needless to say I said no thanks to the replacement).

I would expect to see the backlight keyboard, SMS, 2-Finger Scrolling, MagSafe connector, the new PCI slot, a 128MB graphics card, iSight, Front Row (w/ Remote), APX/BT (maybe a 802.11n version :rolleyes: ), brighter display (w/ higher resolutions), a magnet-based locking system for closing the lid, and a 6-hour battery life.

Now that would be my dream laptop - the perfect package of portability and power, for all my development and entertainment needs both at school and in the workplace. :D Couple that with my MX1000, Apple Keyboard, Dell 2005FPW Display, and 160GB LaCie external drive to make the perfect at-home workstation and gaming Mac :cool:

Here's to hoping for this machine to comes out at WWDC '06 in August. :)

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
gamestriker said:
I don't know...I would rather see a 13.3" Widescreen MacBook Pro, with a 2.0GHz Core Duo, standard. Basically, it would keep the same screen height, just add a little more space on the sides, and maybe even some decent speakers. Keep the ports all nicely arranged on one side of the machine, the SuperDrive (which would come standard 8x DL :) ) on the other side.

I also hope the reinforce the back of the screen; I learned the hard way that even the slighest bit of pressure will destroy your screen i.e. dead pixels, faded pixel areas, etc. and I find it ridiculous that Apple hasn't tried to reinforce that back considering they know how fragile the screen is and that it costs $1,259 to replace (that's 3/4 the cost of my entire machine when I bought; needless to say I said no thanks to the replacement).

I would expect to see the backlight keyboard, SMS, 2-Finger Scrolling, MagSafe connector, the new PCI slot, a 128MB graphics card, iSight, Front Row (w/ Remote), APX/BT (maybe a 802.11n version :rolleyes: ), brighter display (w/ higher resolutions), a magnet-based locking system for closing the lid, and a 6-hour battery life.

Now that would be my dream laptop - the perfect package of portability and power, for all my development and entertainment needs both at school and in the workplace. :D Couple that with my MX1000, Apple Keyboard, Dell 2005FPW Display, and 160GB LaCie external drive to make the perfect at-home workstation and gaming Mac :cool:

Here's to hoping for this machine to comes out at WWDC '06 in August. :)
I also agree with this point, truly a dream machine, one question though, what is SMS on a laptop?

laidbackliam

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2006
gamestriker said:

the song "imagine" comes to mind

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
calebjohnston said:
Man, that thing is hideous. I don't know why a company would make a computer looking like such a misfit on purpose.
it never will look as good as my Powerbook or the new MacBook Pro, but the fact remains, it's a 12" and 1" thick machine with core duo

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
Jericho2550 said:
it never will look as good as my Powerbook or the new MacBook Pro, but the fact remains, it's a 12" and 1" thick machine with core duo

Without an optical drive and with a 2 hour battery life.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
liketom said:
"Want a 12-inch MacBook Pro? Sign my petition

http://www.petitiononline.com/mbp12/petition.html "

i think apple will already have this covered very soon

Are you kidding? There's no question that apple's coming out with this, they just need to get it out. They have an entire product line to transition to a completely different chipset, and they just started the transition two months ago.

They'll be out soon, just keep your pants on.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
milo said:
Are you kidding? There's no question that apple's coming out with this, they just need to get it out. They have an entire product line to transition to a completely different chipset, and they just started the transition two months ago.

They'll be out soon, just keep your pants on.

I sure hope so. There have been a lot of rumors lately saying that the 12" is going to be eliminated eventually. The fact that the last powerbook update didn't inlcude the 12" model doesn't help the situation any.

I really hope a 12" MBP does come out though...

Aramis

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2006
East Coast
calebjohnston said:

Man, you guys are brutal. It really doesnt look that bad. I agree it doesnt look as good as any PB or MBP, but I wouldnt say it was hideous campared to other PC laptops out there.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
2 hour max. battery life is awful. With any real usage, spend half an hour at the airport; the battery will be dead before the shortest flight comes to an end. I'd say a laptop for traveling should have at least 3 hour max. battery life so that you can get a good two hours out of it. That at least covers short plane rides.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Why DO PC laptops look so kludgy? They have little deformations and panels and odd bulges and tacky "chrome accents" and junk like that all over them. I have a Dell 12" and, next to the iBook 12", it looks like a cheap piece of junk. It's heavier than the iBook and doesn't have an internal optical drive. Plus, it cost a lot more than the iBook too. (My company bought it, not me.)

I get the impression they must be designing them to look like that on purpose...

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Sad Fact is that some/most of these CRAPPY pc laptops are faster than the G4's that we praise/praised. Apple has only evened the playing field with the MacBook Pro as of late and must match it with the new iBook/12 inch and 17 inch MBP. I am curious to see what they stick in the new iBook (Macbook).

BUT I agree, PC'S are butt ugly...

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
gamestriker said:
-backlight keyboard
-SMS
-2-Finger Scrolling
-MagSafe connector
-the new PCI slot, a 128MB graphics card
-iSight
-Front Row (w/ Remote)
-APX/BT (maybe a 802.11n version :rolleyes: )
-brighter display (w/ higher resolutions)
-magnet-based locking system for closing the lid
-6-hour battery life
All the features you list, except for the 6-hr battery, are in the 15" MBP so I'd expect the same in the new 12"/13" MBP. The iBook/MB will lose the express-card slot and have integrated graphics. I'm hoping for a "one-more-thing" type feature to make my PC friends jealous. Perhaps a larger trackpad with gestures? Wireless USB? Option for a wireless modem to connect to Apple's new Mobile Me network? Common, Apple: blow our minds!

mdavey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005

Attachments

• fujitsu-siemens-lifebook-12010.jpg
    fujitsu-siemens-lifebook-12010.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 455

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
calebjohnston said:

Ugly and it runs Windows- two strikes in my book!

The 12"/13.3" MacBook Pro should be on its way soon, I hope. :)

Attachments

• TM3010_normal.jpg
    TM3010_normal.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 75

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
theBB said:
2 hour max. battery life is awful. With any real usage, spend half an hour at the airport; the battery will be dead before the shortest flight comes to an end. I'd say a laptop for traveling should have at least 3 hour max. battery life so that you can get a good two hours out of it. That at least covers short plane rides.
Welcome to the world of Intel and Windows laptops. At least it sounds like they are being more realistic than most manufacturers that claim 3-5 hours and actually deliver 1.2-2.5 hours.

Goliant

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2003
Applespider said:
SMS is the motion sensor that can stop your HD spinning in the event of an accident

Actually the sensor commands the head to park, the drive still spins (too much inertia to stop quickly).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.