Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
As soon as I opened Flipboard and saw every tile with a 12 I knew right away what it was...literally every tile...big news

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
I'm laughing at all the "iPhone 6" people....stop thinking so hard!! When has Apple ever been known to make ANYTHING difficult...

How is naming the 6th iPhone the iPhone 5 not complicated? The only thing we all know for certain is the next iPhone will be the 6th one. What they call it is irrelevant.

Mortalias

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I don't know what I'm more excited for. The phone itself, or that fact that the annoying arguments about the device's name can be put to rest.

Nathan20

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
The thin type font indicates the thinness of the iPhone 5, like they use for the macbook air.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
5! :)

I have nothing else to add I suppose, at least without seeming petty. ;)

arn

I'll go there, Arn.

BUT IT'S THE 6TH GENERATION PHONE! Steve would never have allowed this.

</silliness>

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
This was obviously released a day early to try to cover up the FBI leak as much as possible in the press.

Hahahahaha.... I love conspiracy theorists.

There is good and bad Apple news every day, so no matter what day Apple released, it would be to 'Take attention away from the Samsung Galaxy SIII numbers', 'iPhone 5 will fail, so Apple is hiding the invitations during the week of the Democratic convention', etc. etc.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
So although I personally believe that this is an iPhone 5 announcement, I would love it to be a 5 item curve ball.

iPhone 5, iPod nano+Bluetooth, and allthepossibleothershitIdontcareaboutbecauseimbroke.

I highly doubt it has anything to do with device size, 'cause well, Leaks much?

number9

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2004
USA
Aside from the shadow, what other clues are the conspiracy theorists going to obsess over for the next week?

The invitation is only black and white, so there will be no other color iPhones available.

The bottom of the 5 shadow is cut off, so there will be no home button.

The 12 is very brightly backlit, so that means the screen will be brighter, or maybe OLED.

There will be 12 new revolutionary features, including a 5 inch screen.

iOS 6 is being delayed and the new iPhone will come with iOS 5 still.

:p ;)

AppleMactablet

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2010
Maybe Apple is just pulling our leg and the New iPhone just has 5 New Features

LTE
New 4in display
New (mag-safe) dock
(nfc)passbook
A6 Chip

:rolleyes:ohh apple you crack me up

cldeweese7

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2012
I cannot believe they're actually naming it the 5, assuming that's what the 5 means. They've already blown my mind, don't even need to see the phone.

Macclone

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
I'll throw my hat into the "5 things coming" group. My prediction

-iPhone
-iPod Touch
-iPod Nano
-iMac
-Mac Mini

iPad Mini will have it's own event, although I still have some doubt it's coming. Not ruling it out completely, just sayin I have some doubt about it.

Way to go out on a limb...

MacFan23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
I wonder if the "5" is a misdirection of some kind. Maybe they have 5 things to announce between iPod, Macs and iPhone?

I struggle with the 6th generation iPhone, with an A6 processor, running iOS 6 and 4G LTE being called the iPhone 5. With all those numbers floating around it seems like a marketing nightmare. I would have gone with "The new iPhone" -- unless Apple feels like doing that with the iPad caused confusion.

Last year it was 5th generation iPhone, with an A5 processor, running iOS 5 and 3G being called the iPhone 4s. Same thing right?
I guess it's because the numbers at the end of phones, like superficial redesigns are important to average consumers, and macs, iPods and iPads will continue without numbers.

damir00

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
"iPhone 5".

Ha ha ha.

Somebody better fire up the grill - there is much crow to be eaten.

urbanslaughter1997

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
I love all the "iPhone 5ers" on here gloating that they were right, and all the iPhone 6ers" eating crow . . . WHO CARES what the thing is called??? I want to know what it does and how it looks - well, I guess all the rumors have covered that. Seriously though, how bored is everyone that there is this much excitement over what Apple calls a new iPhone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.