Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechGuy1212

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2014
Australia
Did it first thing this morning as soon as I read this article and took 7 seconds from hitting update! Guess its best to be safe and install it.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
i very rarely see what publications are talking about on my app store updates page... like, never. where do people see these things? i don't want to update to 10.10.1 because i've heard CS6 horror stories and i'm broke and freelancing, so not gonna happen. how dangerous is this? who would be targeted and why?

i despise all these security updates forcing me to gamble with all my software functionalities when i rely on them for my rent and food....

----------

where did you find these?? i swear, i'm getting less and less tech savvy the more i know about tech.

Truffy

macrumors 6502a
When a stupid game like Flappy Birds can make 20K per day, I'm hard pressed to believe that hacking computers and sending out SPAM is more profitable.
Writing a "stupid game" takes creativity. Writing a unique malware also takes creativity, albeit of a more warped variety.

But most spammers/hackers are not creative, they're dullards. If they weren't ruining peoples' lives with their antisocial 'net activities, they'd be doing the same as some middle-management jerk-off.

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
Snow Leopard is approaching being 6 years old...

Here's another option for you: Turn off automatic time synching on Snow Leopard.

Microsoft supports their software for at least a decade.

With their yearly OS release schedule, Apple abandons software support after three years.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Microsoft supports their software for at least a decade.

With their yearly OS release schedule, Apple abandons software support after three years.

You can install Yosemite on 7-year-old iMacs, hot shot.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Came to my computer and saw:
"A security update was installed on your Mac" notification on top right of screen with only Close button available.

Anyone else had this? Never seen this before.

Windlasher

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
minneapolis
You have to love that in 2014 people still equate hacking to unemployment.

When your main source of income is deception for financial gain, you are not employed, you are an antisocial degenerate. Yes, there are those who put in a good 40 hours doing whatever they do, and then put in another 40 at night doing something more nefarious.

But you are correct. Hacking does not imply unemployment in general.

Washuu

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
Came to my computer and saw:
"A security update was installed on your Mac" notification on top right of screen with only Close button available.

Anyone else had this? Never seen this before.

Pisses me off! I never even got the chance to see the update or approve it. I have everything set to require permission to download or install.

andywaynebrooks

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2014
think... North Korea

Does anyone else think this might be precautionary action motivated the ramifications North Korea might be planning?

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
You can install Yosemite on 7-year-old iMacs, hot shot.

Why would I do that? Snow Leopard works, and runs all my software properly. Later OSs add nothing of value to me, and, judging by comments on this board, causes problems that i don't currently have.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Yes it is, but apparently Apple no longer cares about the security of their Snow Leopard and Lion customers. You either upgrade your perfectly good software (if you can) or you're on your own.

Well, you could just buy a new Mac, which is what Apple wants you to do anyway.

If you can upgrade to Mavericks or Yosemite and choose not to, that's your own problem, regardless of much better you think Snow Leopard might be. If your Mac is unable to upgrade to either of those, then you do indeed have an old machine that you should either replace, use one of the available methods to install Mavericks or Yosemite, or just deal with the vulnerabilities.

Apple is a for-profit corporation, so it shouldn't be a surprise that they won't spend resources on six and seven year old machines. If you want software support decoupled from hardware support, switch to Windows.

Dezlboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
Help?! My mom said she also got the "security update automatically installed."
But, when I share her screen there are no updates available, AND, the security update is not listed as updates installed in last 30 days.

How can I tell if it got installed? And do automatic updates not show up as installed? Thanks!

bortraws

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2014
Pisses me off! I never even got the chance to see the update or approve it. I have everything set to require permission to download or install.

It did this to me as well on my wife's new 2013 iMac. I also have everything set so it needs permission to install updates. I only saw it very briefly as a notification as the update being available and then immediately a notification thereafter that it was installed. The notifications disappeared very swiftly.

On her 2011 Macbook Air and my 2012 iMac it showed up as a normal update in the app store. I haven't checked my 2013 Mac Pro yet, but it is turned off so it can wait til morning. All other machines were in sleep mode. The new iMac has power nap enabled. Maybe that's why it installed automatically.

Yet it is very annoying indeed, especially that there's no record of the install to be found. The NTP security update doesn't even show up in the software updates section in the app store apps under "updates installed the last 30 days". And there's no notification history either which is even more annoying. To be honest I find that very strange and suspicious.

Is this normal behaviour?

Dezlboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
... set so it needs permission to install updates. I only saw it very briefly as a notification as the update being available and then immediately a notification thereafter that it was installed. The notifications disappeared very swiftly.

...there's no record of the install to be found. The NTP security update doesn't even show up in the software updates section in the app store apps under "updates installed the last 30 days".

Is this normal behaviour?

As I posted above, I believe same situation with my Moms computer that I can only see (share screen) after the fact. Odd that it doesn't show up in the installed list if it was automatically installed?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
i very rarely see what publications are talking about on my app store updates page... like, never. where do people see these things? i don't want to update to 10.10.1 because i've heard CS6 horror stories and i'm broke and freelancing, so not gonna happen.

I've got multiple workstations at work and at home, running CS 6 and OS X 10.10.1. What horror stories have you heard?

how dangerous is this?

Judging by the fact that Apple issued a patch less than 24 hour after this hit all the tech sites, and Apple has never, ever done that before, I'd take it as a clue that it's pretty serious.

Or, maybe you should just read up for yourself.

i despise all these security updates forcing me to gamble with all my software functionalities when i rely on them for my rent and food....

I despise people who don't apply security updates, as it often leads to the computers that they rely on for their rent and food to become potentially dangerous to their data (you know, that they rely on for rent and food), or worse, they become part of a botnet that has the potential to threaten others' means of earning rent and food.

Then, when their rent-and-food-earning computers become unusable, they usually call on people like me to fix it for them. Then I have to break the bad news to them: They MIGHT lose some of their data, and if I'm going to fix it, I will DEFINITELY have to charge them to fix their mistake. Because I'm not a charity, and I have to eat, too.

If a security patch is going to affect the functionality of the software you use every day, then there's a serious security problem with the software you use. Buck up and update. Or find a new, less precarious line of work. ProTip: Fixing malware-riddled computers is rather lucrative work, and doesn't require Adobe CS 6.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan

It pisses me off too! I would never have given Apple approval to install a crucial security update on my Macintosh!

</sarcasm>

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA

Guys, relax.

You CAN control this. It's a seperate option under App store settings. It's a new option in Yosemite so even if you turned off automatic regular updates, you may have it turned on since your upgrade.

That said, I see no reason to turn this off. I'd rather critical security updates get installed ASAP.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-22 at 12-22, 7.24.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-22 at 12-22, 7.24.15 PM.png
    79.6 KB · Views: 194

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
An iMac isn't a piece of software.

You're right, it isn't. But to say the "software hasn't been supported" is wrong.

OS X has been updated pretty regularly: we're on Release 10 of it right now (10.10.x). For quite a few computers well beyond the typical useful life of computer hardware, it's possible to install up to the current dot-release update and get all the security fixes you need, and more.

To say "Apple stopped supporting Snow Leopard" is basically the equivalent of saying Microsoft "stopped supporting" Windows Vista Service Pack 1. The answer to that is: you need to update to the current version of the software to continue to get support. In Microsoft's case: that would be Vista, Service Pack 2, at a mininum. In Apple's case: either Mountain Lion, or go the free route and upgrade to Mavericks or Yosemite.

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2013
London
You have to love the ingenuity / desperation of hackers. Instead of getting a job or writing code that would actually be useful and that people would pay for, they sit around figuring out the most obtuse ways to exploit a computer.

When a stupid game like Flappy Birds can make 20K per day, I'm hard pressed to believe that hacking computers and sending out SPAM is more profitable.

We need hackers to defend us from those evil governments :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.