Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rend It

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
United States
A car is supposed to last for more than 10 years. Try finding one with ten years warranty. The battery doesn't last 5 years, it lasts 1000 charges. How long that is in years depends on your usage. Many people can drive a car with a full tank for weeks. Others empty a full tank in two days.

Great! That's why car warranties are expressed in years and mileage. So, where's the Apple warranty that says, 5 years or 1000 charge cycles, whichever comes first? Since the batteries are not user-serviceable, and the cycle count is tied to the battery S/N through the charge controller, this would be straightforward to verify.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Just Apple trying to save face, and justify their switch to completely unserviceable (for the user) laptops.
You're right.

Only Apple could pollute the environment, up-sell consumers into more expensive, somewhat disposable computers, and have their apologists quickly change the subject.

How Selfish and Narcissistic of them, Steve would be proud.

Limboistik

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2011
That's exactly the type of statement that I was expecting from Apple and glad of it. It also makes sense that EPEAT must be able to modify its standards to emerging technology and be able to adjust policies so that companies that have shown to be responsible in regards to the environment should continue to get the support of the environmental community.

My thoughts exactly.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I wonder how serious

Since all Smartphones (Motorola, Samsung, Sony, Nokia, BB) are not part of the EPEAT standard, governments apparently have been OK buying Droids, BB, iPhones etc to date.

The same with Tablets (iPads or Androids). Not covered by EPEAT.

YES THAT IS RIGHT...NO PHONE OR TABLETS ARE COVERED BY EPEAT...AND GOVERNMENTS HAVE BEEN BUYING THEM LIKE CRAZY.

So why all the 'high and mighty' fuss with EPAT now? I think Apple is trying to point out how out-of-date EPEAT.

Somewhere down the road mobile phones and tablets will be covered, and of course laptop are already covered, so it is understandable that Apple will withdraw, as will other mgfr that don't have removable batteries (Droid RAZR).

The real problem is that even with removable batteries, few people do the right t hing anyways.

'Simple Available tools' How about a hammer and prying tool (screwdriver). If the phone or laptop is headed for the trash, smash it up and remove the battery.

Or take it or send it to Apple and they will pay you for proper disposal.

flipnap

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
If the phone or laptop is headed for the trash, smash it up and remove the battery.

you do realize these batteries can explode if you smash them

----------

Originally Posted by beamer8912 View Post
Just Apple trying to save face, and justify their switch to completely unserviceable (for the user) laptops.

these comments make people sound really bizarre. If you cant see, plain as day, that all laptops will be sealed appliances in a year or so, then you are being naive or an outright troll. MANY windows laptops are already sealed. they DONT want you going in and messing with them. have you EVER seen a tag saying "please dont remove, no user servicable parts inside?" on other appliances? because ive seen it on TONS of things. the reason is they dont want you electrocuting yourself or screwing up the product.

Your car engine cant be taken apart but you dont have a problem with that? i cant believe how you guys cant see this. its as obvious as obvious can get. Whys everyone wearing the tinfoil hats on this?

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Originally Posted by AppleScruff1
Gotta get a kick out of all the apologist's in these two threads. No matter what Apple does they sing it's praises.

Originally Posted by MacDav
While I don't assume that everything Apple does is a good thing. I also don't assume everything Apple does is a bad thing. Each policy decision needs to be looked at objectively. It appears you think Apple made a bad decision regarding EPEAT. Am I correct? I am not familiar with the EPEAT guidelines. Could you explain the process and guidelines, also how and why Apple withdrawing from EPEAT will adversely affect the environment? It will be very enlightening for everyone. Thanks in advance.

Everyone is enlightened. If Apple does it, it's good. Even when it's not. Replace Apple here with Samsung, Microsoft, Google, etc and it would be a terrible thing. No explanations would be needed, would they?

So, you pretty much believe that most of the people on MacRumor forums are mindless zombies. When they hear or see the word Apple they say: "Apple good". When they hear or see the words Samsung, Microsoft, or Google they say: "Bad Companies". Well good for you. Unfortunately, you still haven't explained anything about what the EPEAT standards are, or how the environment will be negatively affected by Apple not following them. I never really expected you to explain anything to me, because it's very doubtful that you know anything about it. It would be nice if you actually knew what you were talking about before you posted. Maybe now you'll do some research and try to shoot me down. Really, I hope you can teach me something. I like to learn new things.

I read the forum every day. I stand by what I said. How could I teach you anything you don't already know? You're the expert, not me.

You must be kidding. How does reading the forum every day factor into this at all? The fact that you stand by unsupported drivel is very sad indeed. Finally you are down right twisting the facts in saying that I am the expert, when the whole point of my original post was to say that I didn't know anything about the EPEAT standards, and since you seemed to know about them, maybe you could enlighten everyone. Pathetic...

I read the forum every day. I stand by what I said. How could I teach you anything you don't already know? You're the expert, not me.

---------

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
Well, this is a pretty basic statement on behalf of the company, but what they are saying is essentially true. Apple does make other factors of their computers "environmentally friendly". Are they perfect? No, but nothing is. Everything we do has some sort of impact, and Apple seems to be doing more on that front than most other electronics companies.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Your car engine cant be taken apart but you dont have a problem with that? i cant believe how you guys cant see this. its as obvious as obvious can get. Whys everyone wearing the tinfoil hats on this?

Huh? A car engine that can't be disassembled?

Maybe I'm naive, but I remember when Apple was a leader in innovation. If their leadership is now limited to a rush to a disposable laptop, I'd prefer not to follow. It's a shame because with their resources and talent, they could do so much better. But after all they are there to make money, not save the world.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010

There is a whole industry built around maintaining a repairing cars. Kids take auto mechanics in high school and learn how to do it. There are millions of auto mechanics out there, including many amateurs. So, I have to take your remarks as ironical, but, I don't get what you are trying to say, with or without irony.

In any case, Apple changed its mind and will continue to be part of EPEAT and will continue to list some of products. Good for Apple for admitting that they made a mistake.

flipnap

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
you guys both missed my point about car engines. im talking about the owner not able to do it. You do realize normal people dont tear apart their car engines right? they have to take it to a mechanic. So you have to take your macbook to a "mechanic".. back in the day i used to work on my engines, go in and change out the carb, or install a new set of plugs. todays engines are not "user servicable".

I dont understand how you can talk about apple not being innovative when they just put out one of the thinnest, powerful and best looking screens on the planet.

I dont understand all the fuss about not being able to service your own computer, who wants to do that if you dont need to. Whens the last time you opened up your TV to swap out a capacitor? The only thing you cant do is install ram, so buy it with the box! soldered ram never goes bad and if it does apple gives you a brand new model for free. whats the problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.