Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
Exactly, an iPad is NOT as capable as a MacBook Air yet their is NOT a big price difference between the two now, hence them being compared in this thread.

Depends on what you call capable. That was my point. An Air is not capable to be (reasonably) used while standing, or handheld. The iPad is smaller and lighter than an Air, so it is more capable in terms of portability.

In essence, I'm saying that to compare the value of an iPad to an MBA is as unreasonable as comparing the value of an MBA to a Mac Mini, for example.

People are not assigning enough importance to how the device is used; only to price and computing horsepower.

Whether someone feels that the iPad is too expensive for what it is is another thing entirely.

jmsait19

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
MO
i drive across the country a lot... spotify is great, and i love it. what i love most is being able to download songs to my phone to use when i'm in areas with no signal (which can be often). so i need more flash storage. all these HD apps? they're much bigger than they used to be. apps alone can take up a lot of space. this is why people want more storage... i've only ever had 16gb devices, but from here out i'll probably only get 32gb. i just want that flexibility to be able to keep what i want.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
128gb = $799
256gb = $899
512gb = $999
1TB = $1099
2TB = $1199
4TB = $1299
8TB = $1399

Yea I think the 8tb would be nice. :)

Hmmm, here are my calculations...

128GB - 16GB => $799 - $499

so 112GB = $300

So 8tb = 8,000/112 x$300 => about $21,399

:eek:

saturn88

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2011
Indeed. They are mostly rubbish and only useful for media consumption.
This includes both ios and android tablets.
The MS surface pro is the way forward because it provides the best of both worlds.
Well, Surface is the worst of both worlds

saturn88

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2011
I haven't used one yet.
What was it like?

I ve used it since beta. The UI is very confusing. And you have to install desktop and tablet version: two versions of everything: Word, IE, Outlook etc. - it is rediculous . Also tablet app selection is limited. But sure it can do both: desktop and tablet

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
At that price, it compares very badly with a microsoft surface pro, which is a fully functional computer and a tablet all in one.

----------

The MS surface pro is the way forward because it provides the best of both worlds.

I have not used the Surface, so no debate there. Windows 8, however, is nowhere near as smooth and solid as iOS in my experience. There are situations where I need things simple and reliable. An iPad in say, a military forward deployed location (in the field) would be more useful than a "full featured computer", when I need to carry more ammo, water, and need kickass battery life and to be able to hold the device in my hands.

The iPad is not limited to what you see in commercials. A device does not have to be for content creation only for it to be useful. The key is access to info, so you can work. You don't have to work on the device for it to be useful. As such, calling them "rubbish" is inaccurate, at best.

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
We have settled on the perfect (for me and the family at any rate) set up for home and on the road.

x2 iPad 1st gen, 3g, one with at 16GB and one with 64GB. There are enough apps on the iPads to keep the kids entertained and when we travel we take along a 500 GB Seagate GoFlex WiFi hard drive loaded with nearly 500 movies.

We also have a superb Hard Drive HDMI media player by Sumvision (Cyclone pocket+) with a 640GB HD installed, with close to 1000 movies on it. When staying at a hotel or with friends we can plug in the HDMI cable into a TV...the kids love it!!!

Our iPhones carry all the music we need so it's very liberating to know that we don't have to shell out on any more Apple kit

nothing like going on vacation only to watch tv/movies the whole time.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
I'm hoping for a less-expensive, headless iPad. I'd like the freedom to choose my own screen, instead of the Retina crap Apple forces us to buy. :D

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Depends on what you call capable. That was my point. An Air is not capable to be (reasonably) used while standing, or handheld. The iPad is smaller and lighter than an Air, so it is more capable in terms of portability.

In essence, I'm saying that to compare the value of an iPad to an MBA is as unreasonable as comparing the value of an MBA to a Mac Mini, for example.

People are not assigning enough importance to how the device is used; only to price and computing horsepower.

Whether someone feels that the iPad is too expensive for what it is is another thing entirely.

You are trying to justify the cost of a 128GB iPad. Which you cannot do, the simple fact is the new 128GB iPad is not that far off the cost of a MacBook Air, it doesn't matter what 'value' you put on the device for it's purpose, what matters is the monetary value that a device with half the capabilities of a laptop, now costs very close to the price of that laptop.
And this is an Apple laptop, not a Windows one which for the same price of the 128GB iPad you can get a VERY nice Windows laptop instead.

This is a discussion if you like of how dangerous Apple are getting with the narrowing, or indeed the obliteration, of the gap between tablet computers and full blown computers it makes itself. And it's not doing it by reducing costs!

----------

nothing like going on vacation only to watch tv/movies the whole time.

Indeed, can't think of anything better then going to a hotel or a friends house with the family along with 1500 films to watch!
But everyones different I guess? Perhaps his family enjoy watching films together?

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I would consider it. I have 24,000+ songs in iTunes...all at 320k. Of that, I have probably 8000 that are a 5-star rating (I used to dj). I also take a lot of video clips of our kids which eat up an enormous amount of space (30 seconds of video = 100MB space).

I can only fit about 4500 320k songs on my iPhone 64GB right now while leaving room for 15+ mins of video recording and some pix.

We all know the iPhone's calling features are at the bottom of the list of the reasons to buy an iPhone. :) My iPhone is really a jukebox for me...the Touch's don't have enough features to warrant their prices compared to iPhones.

Good answer. Me, I wouldn't pay for the extra memory because I don't need it. But once you are in for $299 for an iPhone plus $100 per month for phone and data (so $2,400 over two year life of phone). Is it so bad to drop another $100 for more memory to enjoy your phone more. Also you know you will get at least $25 maybe even $50 of that extra cost back if your phone makes it through the two years in decent shape and you turn around and sell it.

Same consideration for the iPad with the exception that iPad is even more likely to be in good shape two years from now and easy to resell. You can sell the larger memory models for a significant chunk of the extra cost you paid. So you really don't pay that much for the extra utility during your ownership. That is the way to look at it, not if Apple got too big a profit or not.

mmcc

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2010
Tennessee
I really hope that flash technology drop in price real soon

It already has for everyone but Apple. The 16GB model should be dropped, the prices dropped $100 for the remaining existing models, and the 128GB priced the same as yesterday's 64GB.

Apples SSD pricing in the iMac and MacBook products is highway robbery too.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I ve used it since beta. The UI is very confusing. And you have to install desktop and tablet version: two versions of everything: Word, IE, Outlook etc. - it is rediculous . Also tablet app selection is limited. But sure it can do both: desktop and tablet

I thought that Office for RT was included with the Surface? Then there is only one version of the Office apps. The Surface Pro will use the standard Office package, once again, only one version. What beta Surface did you use? I hadn't read anything about that anywhere and would be interested to hear.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia

A tablet with a desktop OS and a bluetooth keyboard (and 20GB of storage :rolleyes:) is not the same as a laptop. My friend has a surface, and I've tried it... But it doesn't beat a proper laptop.

----------

not anytime soon. They need to milk all their cult followers first.

The cult followers would have bought it already by the time the next iPad gen comes out ;)

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
As I have said before..since Apple released the 64GB capacity in 2009...
music has gone 256kbps DRM free
videos have gone high definition
apps have gone high definition with the retina screen
flash prices have crashed

...yet apple is putting the same capacities still at the same price as it was in 2009 (iPod Touch specifically). Now they add a 128GB model that costs even MORE than the 64GB model instead of dropping them down one?
16GB = DISCONTINUED
32GB = 16GB price point
64GB = 32GB price point
128GB = 64GB price point

What happened to the Apple that was the capacity leader while still being affordable? Apple seems to have gotten quite arrogant over the last few years. Lightning Connector (cornering the market), same price points year after year, removal of competitors maps app in favor of their own half attempt maps app, etc.

128GB capacities for the iOS-line are two years overdue but Apple wants to milk the cow.

I'm not an Apple hater either before someone calls me out on it but I'm not a fan of theirs at the current time because I believe the company can do better and would do better if they were underdogs. When Apple is on top they tend slum it, no price drops, no capacity updates, rip off tactics (lighting adapter), etc.

Right now if I were to buy a product in the market it would definitely be on the android side, Google Play is improving EVERYDAY, Google has heard of a file system, many android tablets support external memory (something that is GREAT for home to work xfers where cloud isn't allowed).

Last edited:

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
Will wait for 100 dollar price cut on iPad 5 this holiday season 2013.

Why Apple? Why push a new high price instead of cutting current prices or just sitting on it till a model update?
Then clearly you don't need one. That has nothing to do with the launch.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Will wait for 100 dollar price cut on iPad 5 this holiday season 2013.

Why Apple? Why push a new high price instead of cutting current prices or just sitting on it till a model update?

They aren't waiting so they can eliminate the 16GB bottom option when the iPad 5 is released and offer 32/64/128, so immediately the iPad 5 will have better value because your storage options will be increased for same price, also if they keep the mini 2 at current options (16/32/64), it'll demonstrate "premium" over the mini, another product differentiating factor.

It's quite a clever way to introduce this new storage option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.