Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has determined that a small number of 3TB hard drives used in late 2012 27-inch iMacs sold between December 2012 and September 2013 may fail under certain conditions. The company has initiated a replacement program to replace affected hard drives free of charge through Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP).

imac_roundup.jpg

Apple is contacting affected iMac owners that provided a valid email address during product registration to inform them about the new replacement program. iMac owners can check if they are affected by entering the computer's serial number on Apple's support website, and visit the Genius Bar, locate an AASP or contact Apple Technical Support to initiate the replacement process.

Apple advises that customers who paid to have their hard drive repaired contact the company for a refund. The replacement program covers affected iMac models until December 19, 2015, or three years from the affected iMac's original date of sale, depending on whichever is longer. Read about the iMac replacement program on Apple's support website for further details.

Apple announced a similar replacement program in mid-2011 for select 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMacs sold between May and July of that year with Seagate 1TB hard drives that could also fail under certain conditions, later expanding the program to include a much broader timeframe. That replacement program expired on July 23, 2013 after being extended for a year. Apple also launched a repair program for early MacBook models in 2010.

Article Link: Apple Launches 27" iMac 3TB Hard Drive Replacement Program

Reactions: AngerDanger

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
WEm2Ak4l.png

"A new computer built by my company ships with a hard drive potentially prone to failure and file corruption. The drive fails and loses thousands of documents depended upon by the user. Now, should we initiate a hard drive replacement program? Take the number of computers in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the amount lost from a lawsuit, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a program, we don't do one."

Last edited:

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
why would they fail? Is it because the thermal space in an imac would make the hard drive fail?

GnarlsBailey

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2011
Saint Augustine, Florida
My drive failed two weeks ago. I replaced it (myself) with an OWC SSD. I'm on the phone with support now checking to see if they'll pay for the replacement. I highly doubt it, but it's worth a try.

GnarlsBailey

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2011
Saint Augustine, Florida
My drive failed two weeks ago. I replaced it (myself) with an OWC SSD. I'm on the phone with support now checking to see if they'll pay for the replacement. I highly doubt it, but it's worth a try.

And the answer is NO. The repair has to have been done through the Apple Store or an authorized Apple provider to receive a refund for any repairs.

Makes sense.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Just in time!!! Thanks! I have dust under the screen, brought it to Genius bar yesterday, they ordered screen, brought iMac back home while they have screen in the store. I hope they can change both HDD and the screen. THANKS Macrumors !!!! It saves me one trip with the box to the store.

I'm going to have new scree, new camera, new HDD. Apple, may be it is easier to give me brand new? :)

CaptainPrice01

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2012
Best to do this, I had to have mine (3TB fusion) replaced after it failed. I didn't get to do my latest backup and lost some things.

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
The latest technology still utilising slow ass hard drives? Which is always labeled as the true bottleneck.
Not acceptable.

Reactions: AleXXXa

0x100

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2014
Japan
The latest technology still utilising slow ass hard drives? Which is always labeled as the true bottleneck.
Not acceptable.
HDD has a speed bottleneck, but SSDs have the price per gig and space bottleneck. All depends on what you're doing with your system and it's good there is a choice with SSD or HDD and even SSHD.

Reactions: vmistery

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
And the answer is NO. The repair has to have been done through the Apple Store or an authorized Apple provider to receive a refund for any repairs.

Makes sense.
Is that just for America? My iMac had problems, I tried to fix myself and was successful. But another problem arose and not wanting to open it up again I took it to a (non-authorised) repair shop, it was fixed. But then the stock HDD went and was under a repair programme, worried that due to my work+unauthorised shop work I wouldn't be eligible I phoned up to ask. I was eligible regardless of any work done to it, so long that it was the same drive mentioned in the programme.

Like I say it may be an EU thing but if in doubt it's always worth checking out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.