Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
I LOVE this game SO MUCH thank you for posting the free link. ^_^

----------

Interesting. Hope that this becomes permanent.

Lol doesn't matter if it becomes free or not permenantly, grab it now and you get all updates for life regardless. :D

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I LOVE this game SO MUCH thank you for posting the free link. ^_^

----------

Lol doesn't matter if it becomes free or not permenantly, grab it now and you get all updates for life regardless. :D

I suspect they were hoping that the "Free App of the Week" deal becomes a permanent fixture, not that this game would remain free permanently. I hope so to, as long as the developers are participating freely, or continuing to get paid based on the price they set for their apps. That is, after all, one of the beautiful things about Apple's pricing model.

jW

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
I wonder if the developer still gets paid their cut for every download or if they agree to make their app free for week. It seems to me a week-long offering could really hurt their long-term sales.

Why? It gets them back into the charts, and Chillingo who makes Cut the Rope has MANY great games, it exposes the masses to their backlog of apps, it can only help them.

----------

I suspect they were hoping that the "Free App of the Week" deal becomes a permanent fixture, not that this game would remain free permanently. I hope so to, as long as the developers are participating freely, or continuing to get paid based on the price they set for their apps. That is, after all, one of the beautiful things about Apple's pricing model.

jW

Oh I get it, sorry I read it wrong. lol

Deedlez

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
UK
With the number of apps now in the store, app visibility is a real problem. And not an easy one to resolve as there's just so many tens of thousands of apps.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
It's amazing how full the world is with people who will sit at a bar drinking $5 beer after $5 beer tipping a few bucks each time to a cute waitress, and will bitterly complain how they can't believe a fantastic app costs 99 cents, and no way in hell will they get it unless it becomes free. It's an ironic world we live in. I believe in paying 99 cents for hard work or else it turns into an Android app (no quality and full of bugs).

True, but I can't download a cute waitress through the App Store ;)

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
And people generally do, and piracy is rampant on the android platform which is a big reason why it gets less developer support despite having more devices in the wild than Apple.

Do you have an actual article/study that backs this up? Or did you pull this out of the air? Just curious. As far as I have read - there's quite a lot of pirating of iOS apps as well.

And less developer support? I'd say it just gets different developer support. Most if not all of the major/important apps are on Android. In fact - several were on Android before they were even on iOS. Each platform has apps which are great but not available on the other platform.

p.s. As I've said before - but will say again - I have several iOS devices and only one Android device. I love having the best of both worlds and have the devices that are best suited for me. I don't feel any need to place one "over" the other by posting inaccurate crap.

canman4PM

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
Kelowna BC
How's this for a possible business model:

Apple offeres up the app for free for a week and continues to pay the developer the percentage they would have, if the app was still a buck. So Apple dishes out $0.70 per download. A drop in the bucket for them. They make developers happy - more happy developers mean more apps to sell (hopefully good apps...). The quantitly and quality of the apps in the App Store is one of Apples attractions for its iOS devices, which means more iOS devices sold. Occasional free apps to us, the consumers, also means we're happier, which means more iOS devices sold.

This is just a wild stab in the dark. It could be that the other's suggestions that the developer benefits from the exposure and does actually pony the apps up for free. Or maybe we're both correct and Apple pays 35 cents...

I'd be curious to see.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
It's amazing how full the world is with people who will sit at a bar drinking $5 beer after $5 beer tipping a few bucks each time to a cute waitress, and will bitterly complain how they can't believe a fantastic app costs 99 cents, and no way in hell will they get it unless it becomes free. It's an ironic world we live in. I believe in paying 99 cents for hard work or else it turns into an Android app (no quality and full of bugs).

It's amazing how this post went from good to sour, just had to bash Android to validate iOS HUH?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Or does Apple have a quick telco with the developer to see if they're ok with not earning money on App X for a week?

given that Apple hypes that the developers, not Apple, sets the prices, they would likely be violating their own contract if they suddenly drop the price on something without talking to the developer.

my guess is that they will, if they have not already, have a sign up that allows a developer to say if they wish to potentially participate in this program and what apps do they give Apple permission to offer. Then they would get an email saying that app X has been picked as the App of the Week for the week of whatever to whatever so that the developer can promote the app if they wish.

Otherwise if they don't include an app in the program it will never be offered. They likely started with Cut the Rope because they have existing relationships with the company having gotten permission to use it as a demo unit app so it was easy for them to get the permissions without the whole thing leaking to the public because some developer saw the "I give permission" stuff pop up in the iTunes Connect data forms etc

jebus01

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2012
Error trying to access Facebook Cam app

I can't find Facebook Cam App in the App Store, and when I try to access it by URL i get error message: "Could not complete request" or something.

Norway
iPhone 4S
Newest iOS

Help?

FaceMelter2000

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2012
Microsoft

Microsoft used "Cut the Rope" to promote Internet Explorer 9 (the game is included free if you download IE9).

Apple are now simply offering a way for consumers to access the game for free without them needing to download IE9 (a competing product).

Simple economics.

alexN350z

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2011
Google Play store has had this and Editor's Pick's for a long time now...

My Android developer friend alway say Google or Android got this or that feature in first place, and Apple copied them. Such as google sych or voice control.

This does't change the factor that iPhone is the first very successful full touch screen smart phone, and Google saw the potential in iPhone and copied the whole ecosystem.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Aww, they got rid of staff favorites? I found that was the most useful for finding new and interesting apps (Far better than most popular or most bought or made most money).

macandiPhone

macrumors member
May 25, 2012
Apple!!Pls keep up the good work

Good apps which has earned respect should always be available to all. Hence this idea of keeping a popular and noteworthy app free for one day will just emphasize Apple's contribution to customers.

Keep it coming :apple:

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011

It's not amazing at all, it's simply how some people perceive the value of apps and software in general. You cannot even blame them, most software is free nowadays: web browsers, media players, even office suits or even whole operating systems. On the App Store you can find a lot of great free apps too. People see that a lot of stuff is availble for free and wonder why those little apps deserve a price at all...

About your final remark, paid software does not automatically mean high quality software. You can find a lot of great free software just like you can find a lot of crappy paid software.

hockey89

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2011
does anyone have a complete list of the free apps so far

i know there has been

cut the rope experiments
monsters ate my condo
sonic racing
and pinball arcade

i think i am missing one though. anyone know it?

EDIT: Figured it out. It's snapseed for those of you wondering.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.