Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Switching is easier than ever now that Google has created some pretty nice iOS apps for all of their services. Even if you are embedded deeply into their ecosystem, you should be able to access all of your data fairly quickly if you're making the switch to iPhone (download the apps, login, and go). Then over time you can decide what data, if any, you'd like to move to Apple or 3rd party services.

The same is not true when moving from iOS to any other operating system. Which, of course, is intentional.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
i must say i find pathetic that apple didnt offer us that bought the first gen iphone a tool to migrate and 7 years later and they dont even seem to offer one now. hell they are not even bothered that you can migrate from different iphone versions.

for instance i dont see anything about messages on this website

nokia back in the day had better tools available

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
You see!

Do you want to be on the side of the complainers or on the side of the elegant people? That is called POSH. An elegant slap in the face. LOL.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
So, I take it you aren't switching to Apple, but still feel the need to comment?

no I will be switching back to apple, but if you own any android device you know how easy it is to get thing from it too your computer

really this guide is how to setup an iPhone it has nothing to do with if you had an android prior

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014
Is it really hard enough to need a support document for it? I mean, it was pretty simple when I made the switch a few years back... But I'm probably not representative of Android users, I guess.

As Android users, we somewhat get used to doing things the convoluted way - with geeks, it's often seen as their "badge of honour" amongst certain - but not all - owners. Expecting to have to read instructions documents is all par for the course, so I'd say they're tailoring it to the userbase' mindset.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
you should not need a guide when you plug in an android device to your PC or Mac it becomes an external drive allowing you to look in all the folders to transfer things from the phone to the computer unlike iPhone

Guides aren't for those that know how to do something. They're for people that don't. Like, I'd need a guide to plant a pomegranate tree.

Also, because you can look at data means others can too. That's not a good combination if you have a nefarious program.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Apple should have a 800 number for Android users to confess their sins before allowing them in to the garden.

I for one welcome all android defectors back! We forgive you for leaving...

Bring back the "Swichers" and "Mac vs PC" like campaigns :)

No, Apple shouldn't and neither should us (logical Apple fans).

They switchers are the one who think logically and made informed decisions instead of complete bias.

Welcome to Apple's walled garden! The air is sweet around here. :D

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
I wonder if someone can point me to the iBooks App for Samsung - I'd like to move my 137 books, currently in iBooks, to a Samsung Galaxy - someone, anyone.

Mac2133

macrumors member
May 31, 2012
3 words for you...

i must say i find pathetic that apple didnt offer us that bought the first gen iphone a tool to migrate and 7 years later and they dont even seem to offer one now. hell they are not even bothered that you can migrate from different iphone versions.

for instance i dont see anything about messages on this website

nokia back in the day had better tools available

"Wren and Martin"

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013
Guides aren't for those that know how to do something. They're for people that don't. Like, I'd need a guide to plant a pomegranate tree.

Also, because you can look at data means others can too. That's not a good combination if you have a nefarious program.

Here is your guide:

1. Buy tree.
2. Bring home.
3. Dig hole.
4. Put tree in hole.
5. Fill hole with dirt.
6. Water the tree.

jonbravo77

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I like this. You have the competition tearing Apple down with "welcome to 2012" and stuff like that. And you have Apple offering assistance to those that may decide to move. To me this is a good example of taking the high road. I'm sure some will disagree and that's ok. But I get tired of the negative crap ads that tell me nothing about the product just telling me what they think is wrong with the competitors product. Just my 2 cents. :cool:

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I wonder if someone can point me to the iBooks App for Samsung - I'd like to move my 137 books, currently in iBooks, to a Samsung Galaxy - someone, anyone.

I don't think you can, its apples way of saying thanks for your purchases but these purchases will always be tied to the apple you and not the other you

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
It's obvious Cook is going full steam ahead trying to win iOS market share back. iOS 8 is much more open and the phone itself now finally comes in multiple sizes.

I just hope this change of heart at Apple didn't come too late...

Apple already has the premium market share.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.