Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BBCWatcher

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Maine
OK, I like the price point ($229). But removing the 5 megapixel camera seems overly harsh.

I wonder what the $229 model would have looked like if Apple kept a 3.5 inch display, kept the same form factor as the higher priced models, and increased the bezel a bit to compensate.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Don't really see the point of them anymore myself, gotta have a smartphone, don't need both.

Maybe for kids?

Because buying a ~$150 smartphone, a ~$300 iPod Touch, and spending ~$30 or less a month on a plan or pre-paid is still a hell of a lot cheaper than shelling out for an iPhone. (by my calcs, in excess of $500 over 24 months). AND doesn't lock you into a plan.

Especially if you don't feel the overriding need to spend $100 on calls every month.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Why would they waste time at WWDC talking about a cheaper iPod?

Let me write the script
* So, with the new iOS 7, we've thought we should round out our iPod line with just a little more juice.
* This is the new entry level iPod touch, same retina display, same superfast wifi. Speaker. Microphone. All the apps and games kids want. 16 gigs of storage for only 229 dollars. Starting today!

There - 45 seconds, maximum.

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
Another decent rumour! Hear me out. This isn't a rumour, but a great pointer to what might happen to the iPhone line.

First 'more pixels for 5S' and now, Apple's dispensed with older generation iPod Touch as the 'cheap iPod Touch'.

Now look at the 'cheaper iPhone' rumours in this light.

Can't afford to have the 4S hanging around, old tech. What we need is all iPhone 5 generation iPhones - much much lighter, feels empty inside, and the newer processor, GPU, LTE chips.

Cheaper new iPhone, iPhone 5 and 5S - makes for a good lineup.

Even better would be iPhone 5, iPhone 5S and a 5" iPhone with "more pixels". Gimmee some of that… Well, I can dream.

Great new iPod, good indicator of more forward thinking for the iPhone line.

Me likey!

Osullivan1

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2011
London
It does make sense.

What do you think will be announced at WWDC? iOS 7.
What do you think it will run on? Probably any iOS device with 512+ MB RAM (that excludes the 4th gen iPod touch and iPhone 3GS).
That would mean that, just like last year, the cheapest iPhone/iPad/iPod they still sell at the time the new iOS is announced are also the minimum devices to support it.
Not offering software compatibility for hardware that is still being sold gives a bad impression of planned obsolescence, and it's exactly what would have happened if the 8GB 4th gen iPod touch was still being sold.

I hope iOS 7 is supported on the iPod Touch 4G, thats what I was planning on testing the iOS 7 beta on... :/ I don't think they would end support for it just two weeks after discontinuing production - although defo won't support 3GS.

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe
I'm not really tempted to buy this new one though. It would be different if it had 64GB, no camera and maybe GPS for 199 euro. :cool:

Lapidus

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
I think Tim Cook just wants to prove his 'Doubling down on secrecy' by attending AllThingsD and then announcing a 'new' product 2 days later without ripping a word on it.

TC400

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
At first I thought it was dumb. But in reality it's not bad perfect for people who don't need the rear camera and who don't need the latest specs but you still get the bigger screen and new lightning connector.

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Quietest apple launch ever!

Like what the heck - really doesn't make any sense. WWDC is in 2 weeks!

I think the last White MacBook was the quietest apple launch ever. It was a complete redesign.

----------

Because buying a ~$150 smartphone, a ~$300 iPod Touch, and spending ~$30 or less a month on a plan or pre-paid is still a hell of a lot cheaper than shelling out for an iPhone. (by my calcs, in excess of $500 over 24 months). AND doesn't lock you into a plan.

Especially if you don't feel the overriding need to spend $100 on calls every month.

In the US, it's in excess of $2,000 over 24 months.

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
I hope iOS 7 is supported on the iPod Touch 4G, thats what I was planning on testing the iOS 7 beta on... :/ I don't think they would end support for it just two weeks after discontinuing production - although defo won't support 3GS.

not a chance. it barely runs iOS 6. i guarantee that is one of the reasons they discontinued it before WWDC. imagine the outrage if Apple still sold a device that didn't support the latest OS.

----------

No rear camera?

Who the hell would want that?

blind people.

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
No rear camera?

Who the hell would want that?

Seriously ?

Maybe peoples who simply don't care about taking picture. I have an iPhone 4 and I hardly ever use the camera.

The iPod Touch is more about a music/video player, gaming device and "wifi hotspot" internet device. There is so many usage to this thing that don't need a camera.

Zendokan

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2011
Belgium
Just checked the Belgian Apple Store site:

it's €249 here.
While it's only €80 cheaper than the 32gb model, it will probably sell with the younger crowd where every euro can make a difference.

Personally, I like the colour scheme, but I would buy the 32gb for €80 more or even the 64gb for €180 more as music/video player.
It's more out of laziness...I just don't like connecting the iPod every other day to my iMac to sink new series and music on it...but I really love that colour scheme.

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
It reminds me of the iPod Classic with the back. Maybe this is almost an iPod Touch Classic, over time to replace the original iPod with 16/32/64/128GB versions? Firstly introduce the product line, then increase capacity.

Last edited:

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Can anyone conform that this has 512MB of RAM? As a developer it's a pain still supporting 256MB devices while Apple has also been releasing 1GB devices lately

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
would love an iphone with a black front and silver back.

iphone1stgen-300x284.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.