Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KrakaJap

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
If it's "not a big deal" then 1: why did Tim release a public apology? and 2: why did Apple introduce a new section in the AppStore to help users find alternative map/navigation solutions? Subjective opinions of a location based feature while in an area that is not affected does not make it less of a big deal. I'm sure the user who relies heavily on accurate maps and navigation finds this a rather large issue. And considering one of Apple's main goals is to provide the "same" experience for everyone, it must also be quite a big deal for them not to mention an embarrassment after touting its features heavily in one of the world's largest annual media events.

Renzatic

Suspended
The smartest thing Apple did was open the App Store. Because what they did was allow other people to take advantage of the OS and hardware and fill in any/all gaps that were there. And when Apple found things to be overwhelmingly successful - they bought/borrowed/etc the functionality and incorporated it.

Yup. The App Store is the biggest thing Apple brought to the smartphone scene, and probably the one thing they've done I consider truly revolutionary.

The only problem is 3rd party apps get updated constantly, whereas Apple apps only get new features added once a year during iOS updates. If I find I like one app better than the default, there's no way for me to take direct advantage of it. Like if Google releases their a map app, it'll be a completely standalone application. I can't go into my yellow pages app and launch into it for directions. I'm stuck with Apple's default. It keeps iOS from being as user friendly as it could be.

It's the biggest downside to Apple's overzealous sandboxing. You trade a lot of usability for a little peace of mind.

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
When you've got lemons: "Hey, guys! Instead of panicking and running off to Android, stick with us and use one of these apps that will pay us 30% of their download fees and/or advertising fees. You probably forgot to turn off 'Traffic' in the Location settings, so we'll be gathering information to improve iOS Maps regardless of what app you use."

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
This is a new low for Apple...

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I love the new Apple maps, and while I'm sure there are lots of people affected negatively by the bad data their software is perfect and I have yet to come across a problem with it. In fact, I'm going to sell my Garmin GPS Navigation system and use the money to buy myself car accessories for my iPhone 5.

I feel this whole situation is overblown and Apple shouldn't have had to take this unnecessary step. I mean, aside from Google, who has decent map data? Garmin? TomTom? I've had problems with all of them.

Agreed. I only use apple maps since mid July, and I don't miss google maps at all. I think this will be the experience for most people.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
As that do it best. This is different from Steve, but it is a welcomed change. They said they will fix it, and I believe they will. While still making money for themselves and there developers. WHILE keeping the consumer happy with choices. Can't beat that.

Yes, you can beat that by sticking with the premium application. Remember "if it ain't broke don't fix it?" Well, Apple fixed it.

I think this is Tim Cook's way of diffusing the press. If Apple does these things then what does the press have left to write about? The story suddenly becomes old news.

The problem isn't the news. It's the app.

This might not be the end of the world for apple. They basically dumped Google, apologized (which is a very big thing in the corporate world). They are now showing they care by up selling other apps. Which will move their uses further away from google. Then they will announce an update to maps, and because of the native built in turn by turn directions, people will naturally fall back to using maps.

They aren't really risking anything here. While at the same time moving their user base away from google maps.

Kind of smart.

Damage control is smart, but they're still going to take damage. Nokia and Google mapping apps will affect customers on the margin.

sazivad

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
New Jersey
Apple Maps is bad: "Steve never would have allowed this, Apple's dead, Tim can't handle Apple, etc."

Apple publicly admits to its map's shortcomings and provides an easy way to find alternatives: "Steve never would have allowed this, Apple's dead, Tim can't handle Apple, etc."

:rolleyes:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Yup. The App Store is the biggest thing Apple brought to the smartphone scene, and probably the one thing they've done I consider truly revolutionary.

The only problem is 3rd party apps get updated constantly, whereas Apple apps only get new features added once a year during iOS updates. If I find I like one app better than the default, there's no way for me to take direct advantage of it. Like if Google releases their a map app, it'll be a completely standalone application. I can't go into my yellow pages app and launch into it for directions. I'm stuck with Apple's default. It keeps iOS from being as user friendly as it could be.

It's the biggest downside to Apple's overzealous sandboxing. You trade a lot of usability for a little peace of mind.

One of the reasons I also enjoy using my Samsung Skyrocket - I love the flexibility of controlling what apps I want to integrate with by default or one-offs. I even have one app that enables me (one example) to share a photo I just took with as many apps/etc as I want with one flick.

Apple no doubt made the app market amazing (well the developers did) - but I was using app stores on my palm and other devices before Apple introduced theirs. Apple made theirs widely popular - but the model existed.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Extraordinary. You get the sense that they felt the reputation of the device and brand was being threatened. It's as if they decided to chuck Maps overboard to ensure the iPhone stays afloat.

Astute comment.

IMO, the best alternative in the medium-run is to allow the default Maps app to gather data from the source desired by the consumer, whether it be Apple's free (and soon to be best?) default set of data, or any third party's data who wants to plug into the app. The third part stuff could be free or fee-based.

The biggest problem with the status quo, I think, is that the Apple Maps app is tied into the OS in such a way that it gets called upon exclusively by other apps. Even when users install third=party mapping programs, their choice is ignored when a map is opened from another app.

Apple could keep its App as the default if it opened up the data to third parties.

An alternative, perhaps very un-Apple, would be to allow users to set which mapping program is to be their default, opened by other apps automatically. But by doing that, Apple risks losing customer for Maps fro the duration of their ownership of the device.

AWallen90

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2009
I think this is a bad idea.

It's one thing to acknowledge issues and problems, and to be open about what you're doing to fix them. That's a good thing.

It's a whole other thing to say, "Hey, our competitors have a better product. Go check them out and come back to us later." Even if your competitors do have a better product at the moment, you don't actually SAY that.

Even through they are competitors of Maps these other apps are still on the iPhone.

BigDukeSix

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
34.6700N 118.1590W
I have been using Mapquest since I got my IPhone 4 over a year ago, have been very happy with it. I have not upgraded to IOS 6 yet, so I have not seen the new Apple Maps yet.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
why dont they just make the old google maps app downloadable on the app store? Everybody wins.

Google may be waiting for this to play out a little longer. Simply the people that sell these phones, despite thinking that they're very sophisticated, aren't. If it resonates that maps suck on Apple, that's going to be the downside to iPhone that every sales guy will repeat at point of purchase.

Now that won't deter an apple fan, an android fan, an MS fan, or an expert, but it will change purchasing for undecided/ new smartphone customers.

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
in addition to apologizing for providing a crappy app, Apple should simply put Google Maps back

there's no shame about acknowledging failure and going back to what is best for consumers

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
its funny how the fandroids go on about their 30 choices of a web browser and how thats cool. but once you tell them that there is a choice of map apps and transit apps they say it sucks because only google should do it

Never heard either one ever said.

Got any cites?

KrakaJap

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
This is a new low for Apple...

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I love the new Apple maps, and while I'm sure there are lots of people affected negatively by the bad data their software is perfect and I have yet to come across a problem with it. In fact, I'm going to sell my Garmin GPS Navigation system and use the money to buy myself car accessories for my iPhone 5.

I feel this whole situation is overblown and Apple shouldn't have had to take this unnecessary step. I mean, aside from Google, who has decent map data? Garmin? TomTom? I've had problems with all of them.

wow, ok sorry but I believe you've just contradicted yourself there. How can the software be perfect while at the same time contain bad data??? Maps would just be a cheesy icon on your home screen were it not for the data. Do you know exactly how many users are affected by this bad data? Do you know how many areas are inaccurate? You simply cannot just assume this is overblown because your own experience has been fine. However, you can easily assume that it is indeed a huge problem if it invoked a public apology from the world's most valuable company.

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
samsung makes horrible phones though.... so ya know how that goes lol

Sony > Samsung any day of my week.

Samsung does make those amazing commercials,with those awesome actors and well written dialogue; something Nolan should be envious of.

Blonde Girl: "It's the Galaxy S threeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" LMFAO

More wooden acting than the star Wars prequels, I didn't think it was possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.