Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
No way should be an Apple ad.
You can see the macbook's shadow moving as they switch between stickers. And Apple shouldn't switch back to their old logo just for advertising some stickers. I'm hoping this is a student project.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
You can see the macbook's shadow moving as they switch between stickers. And Apple shouldn't switch back to their old logo just for advertising some stickers. I'm hoping this is a student project.

I am pretty sure they meant for that, to give it that amateurish feel.

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
That was a great commercial and they hit the sweet spot with that flash of the classic Apple logo. I would pay a $20 premium for that to be a customisable feature on a future purchase (decals be damned).

g0odfr1end102

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Montreal, Canada
My mom just got her decal the other week for her Macbook Air, I'm glad to see Apple is promoting them!

(Macbook Air on the left, my rMBP on the right)

IMG_4369.jpg

ps: yes, we both love Banksy :p

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Not a bad ad, I quite like it actually, but I agree that it's unlike usual Apple ads.

First, the music choice. Apple usually goes for something a little more classical. Trap is mainly targeted at a younger audience, and let's say it, is kind of a fad that will mostly disappear in a few years.

Then there was the retro Apple logo, and the fact Apple gave attention to a bunch of brands not associated to Apple. That felt unusual.

RDeckard

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
I doubt this is an Apple ad. Just as szw-mapple fan mentioned: the MBA's position varies (ever so slightly) between sticker changes; look at the edges and how the position of the Apple logo changes.

I think Apple would want the ad (and the MBA positioning) to be 100% perfect.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
I doubt this is an Apple ad. The MBA's position varies (ever so slightly) between sticker changes; look at the edges and how the position of the Apple logo changes.

It is definitely an Apple ad.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
I doubt this is an Apple ad. Just as szw-mapple fan mentioned: the MBA's position varies (ever so slightly) between sticker changes; look at the edges and how the position of the Apple logo changes.

I assumed the ad was CGI and those slight movement/shadow differences were intentional (as in, more work was done to include them) in an attempt to make it look like real stop motion.

scottrichardson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Ulladulla, NSW Australia
Never thought Apple would be promoting the use of tacky decals. But apparently I'm in the minority.

Yeah something about this ad feels rather un-Apple. Typically Apple is very clean, minimal, and no brand dilution. This is the antithesis of those ideologies.

I hate to drag the term 'Un-Steve-Like' out of the woodwork. But it's definitely not the Apple we have come to know. And while my classic mac heritage loves the fact that they used the rainbow Apple logo, I can't also help but be reminded that those were the days Apple was struggling the most. Beige boxes, rainbow Apple logos, and Gil Amelio. All pre-Jobs-return.

Who knows, maybe now that Apple has had the great successes over the past decade, some of the older ideologies may actually be able to work better now that the audience is bigger and more aware/accepting of Apple.

Interesting ad, and certainly an interesting future ahead for Mac/Apple fans. I won't be going anywhere that's for sure.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Can someone help me? Do all Apple ads say 'by Apple' on youtube? Because this video is by some guy named FooltechFromTheAshes. Has anyone seen this ad on TV? 9to5 mentioned it but didn't say the ad debuted anywhere.

The ad rocks but something is not adding up.:(

edit: andreigherghe posted the link from Apple's Youtube Channel. I guess it is Apple. Good job. Beats influence maybe? Who knows. At least it ain't Chicken Fat.

Last edited:

Cpt. Gilgamesh

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2013
USA
I don't think the stickers is the main focus here; the focus is how the MacBook Air is an extension of our personality that allows us to express our personality outwardly. And I thought the same thing as well initially (about the "choppy" editing), but I think that's it's a purposeful effect to get that "amateurish" look like someone previously mentioned. I think it's very effective and it'll definitely reinforce that Apple, in it's core, is just as colorful as that old Apple logo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.