Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
This is really the biggest one for me and the biggest advantage against their competitors. I don't think it should be last.

I'd rather have a phone that didn't break but I guess I'll be visiting those lovely Geniuses at the thurrock Lakeside store to replace my 5 month old iPhone 4 with a faulty power button!

Yay is me! :cool:

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
It just happens to be that in 2013 there is only one Wednesday that falls on the 12th day of a month. And that's June 12, 2013.

Product announcements usually happen on a Tuesday or Wednesday.

The iPhone 5 was announced Wednesday 12th September 2012. That's what the 12 means on the photo.

roow110

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2011
Home button poorly photoshopped on... rotated a bit... bothersome

Attachments

• a6.jpg
    a6.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 285

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Amazing Samsung Galaxy 4 coincidence... :p

It's a bit silly that they use their Retina trademark to say that others don't have it. :p Technically correct, but not perception-wise. In that area, Retina displays aren't even in the lead anymore.

Anyway, enough of this marketing/competition crap.

I'm happy with my iPhone 5. I don't find myself wanting much else and even to this day, it feels impossibly light for the kind of non-plastic construction. I take care of it and it hasn't been scratched much. It's really some unique, mad engineering. It's just such a shame that it was accompanied with the lackluster iOS 6. Here's hoping for iOS 7. If it's a hit, it'll take the iPhone to new heights. I don't really think Apple has that much to worry about hardware-wise, but there is so much to win on a completely mind-blowing iOS 7 presentation. Please, please...

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
The iPhone 5 was announced Wednesday 12th September 2012. That's what the 12 means on the photo.

That would be too logical. Why? 5 equals 3+2.

What equals 3+2? Exactly. 4 + 1.

What does the 4 stand for? Exactly. 4G.
What does the 1 stand for? Next-gen.

4 + 1 = 5.
4G + 1 = 5G.

5G internet is coming. The internet has just confirmed this. And you know, everything on the internet is true.

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
Do Apple normally "re-launch" products mid-way during a release cycle? Looks like they're beginning to feel the pinch of some real competition.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
Under the 'Every detail has been considered banner', it says "And it’s made with a level of precision you’d expect from a finely crafted watch"

Soon to be updated with:

"And it’s made with a level of precision you’d expect from a finely crafted Apple iWatch"

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
I know I love mine. It does everything I need and has never left me wanting. Samsung and all the other Android offerings aren't even a consideration, let alone a temptation. Keep em....I couldn't be happier with my iPhone.

Last edited:

JohnMantooth

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2011
New York, NY
This is a rather defensive marketing tactic, and makes Apple out to be a company resting on its laurels. The iPhone should be so much greater than the competition that it sells itself. This is not a good stance for Apple to take.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
I pray to God Ramping up advertising isn't the best Apple can do for iphone over the next few months. Even though the new SSG4 is kind of gimmicky, its a real threat. And as much as I want to degrade a 5" phone, it sure is toying with my curiosity. And let's not forget about that phone that won't get all the pub but is probably better than the SSG4...... Xperia Z. Apple should really bypass the whole "S" thing this go around and come with the heat. I would go as far as not even calling it an "S" because we have gotten accustomed to "S" meaning minor revamp.

Slowly but surely, the iPhone is losing its superior appeal. I don't know about the brand, but the phone itself has become somewhat of a loser lately. Apple sold as many phones as they did the last quarter because its surviving off of its greatness before the 5. That won't last forever. The flood gates will open soon if Apple can't deliver and people will begin to leave in big numbers, all at once. It's easy to plug a water leak, but when the water begins to pour, it's too difficult to stop. Apple should take control RIGHT NOW. No sense toying with it.

The crazy thing about it is, apple doesn't even really have to innovate. All they have to do is build a phone with a 4.5" screen and make it happen with iOS7. People will go crazy over the iPhone again.

I'm sure they want to give us another "S" phone and wow us with the iP6, but can The iPhone survive another year as second best?

Apple really needs to show us that the death of Steve Jobs doesn't mean a slow dying death for iOS.

Last edited:

yargk

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2009
I had a 3S, then a 4, now a 4 again, but a Nexus 4.

I really like this Nexus thing, just seems lightyears beyond the iphone at this point (integration with everything, etc, ease of use while having more options, etc).

I'll keep buying mbps though. :apple:

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
I pray to God Ramping up advertising isn't the best Apple can do for iphone over the next few months. Even though the new SSG4 is kind of gimmicky, its a real threat. And as much as I want to degrade a 5" phone, it sure is toying with my curiosity. And let's not forget about that phone that won't get all the pub but is probably better than the SSG4...... Xperia Z. Apple should really bypass the whole "S" thing this go around and come with the heat. I would go as far as not even calling it an "S" because we have gotten accustomed to "S" meaning minor revamp.

Slowly but surely, people are losing faith in the phone. I don't know about the brand, but the phone itself has become somewhat of a loser lately. Apple sold as many phones as they did the last quarter because its surviving off of its greatness before the 5. That won't last forever. The flood gates will open soon if Apple can't deliver and people will sbegin to leave in big numbers, all at once.

The crazy thing about it is, apple doesn't even really have to innovate. All they have to do is build a phone with a 4.5" screen and make it happen with iOS7. People will go crazy over the iPhone again.

I'm sure they want to give us another "S" phone and wow us with the iP6, but can The iPhone survive year as the second best?
Agreed. Imagine a large iPhone with iPad mini/iPod Touch-like design. It would completely crush the competition.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
Exactly what I’ve been experiencing as a first-gen iPod touch owner for a couple of years now.

Well there is a difference, your iPod touch is is 6 years old now and the software is not supported. My Nexus 7 is 3 months old and has a newer version of Android than every other OEM smartphone out there right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.