Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GregAndonian

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2010
Personally I think Windows Phone has a refreshing look, different from iOS and Android.

I do too. I like the "Live Tiles" idea.

There's a "catch 22" keeping Windows Phone from getting farther- one of the big criticisms of it is there is a lack of good apps available. But the developers don't want to take the time to bring their apps over to it, because it has a small user base (due to a lack of apps). DOH!!

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
apple getting quite nervous about selling its iphones. First there was Schiller's ranting about Android and how its inferior to iOS, then there was that PATHETIC advertisement for iphone (its the only one with retina display and such BS) and now this "magical deal of the century" free shipping...

And people wonder why the hell apple stocks are dropping.

Soulweaponry

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2010
This entire site has been in a crap mood for way too long. It's painful to read these threads anymore.

What does everyone hate about "free"?

Jeez people. Look at their product lineup. It's the nicest, most well-made and well-known of any company out there.

I second this. Apple gives you something for free and instead of casually saying "oh. That's cool", the sarcasm brigade chimes in with how not impressed they are by free next day shipping. **** companies for trying right? Same with anything else apple. Same will happen at their next product announcement. Same with everything else. It's...nauseating

Fairthrope

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
Never heard of Alex Jones or Piers Morgan?

Why don't thrown in Jim Clancy and Fareed Zakharia in for good measure?

By the way, what did Piers do to make several British broadcasters and his old BBC colleagues declare fatwa on him?

----------

...then there was that PATHETIC advertisement for iphone...

And people wonder why the hell apple stocks are dropping.

And the same ad agency who made I'm a Mac campaign now work for Saumsung.

Where would Apple get another agency like that? How do you make Apple ad recapture the old magic again?

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I do too. I like the "Live Tiles" idea.

There's a "catch 22" keeping Windows Phone from getting farther- one of the big criticisms of it is there is a lack of good apps available. But the developers don't want to take the time to bring their apps over to it, because it has a small user base (due to a lack of apps). DOH!!

It's a double edge sword, isn't it? And Blackberry has it even worse.

almirramic

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2011
of Apple, Palm and Microsoft

I am all about Apple and I own (and will continue to buy) most of their products, but since Jobs passed away I see signs of trouble. What Apple needs is iPhone 6 as in a rethink of iPhone and iOS, but iPhone 5s is likely coming instead looking exactly like iPhone 5 with incremental upgrades. Whether it is the absence of Jobs or not, Apple is becoming a sleeping giant and if it does not continue to innovate it is going the way of Microsoft and Palm -- it is becoming a sleeping giant cocooned in its own fame and glory while others are working very hard to build on its shoulders. In the last several years, it was so concentrated on beating the next competitor that it forgot the name of the game is "stay on top with innovation." Samsung has slowly but surely made the patent battle irrelevant. It kept innovating and now has smartphones that Apple can only try to catch up with. Apple allowed its flagship to fall behind. It no longer has cool commercials. It irritated and confused iPad owners with speeding up the refresh cycle and dropping version numbers -- at the same time. And yes, it has started to offer freebies. I've watched Palm running out of ideas for Treo and I am still watching Microsoft thinking it is the browser and OS god that owns standards. Palm is an irrelevant company today and Microsoft continues on the path of self-worship self-destruction. Maybe Apple can get away with being stale one more year. But if a rethink of iOS devices does not come in 2014 with possibly revolutionary iWatch and iTV, I am afraid it will slowly start going the way of Palm and Microsoft. Maybe it is just the laws of nature that dictate Apple having reached its peak.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I am all about Apple and I own (and will continue to buy) most of their products, but since Jobs passed away I see signs of trouble. What Apple needs is iPhone 6 as in a rethink of iPhone and iOS, but iPhone 5s is likely coming instead looking exactly like iPhone 5 with incremental upgrades. Whether it is the absence of Jobs or not, Apple is becoming a sleeping giant and if it does not continue to innovate it is going the way of Microsoft and Palm -- it is becoming a sleeping giant cocooned in its own fame and glory while others are working very hard to build on its shoulders. In the last several years, it was so concentrated on beating the next competitor that it forgot the name of the game is "stay on top with innovation." Samsung has slowly but surely made the patent battle irrelevant. It kept innovating and now has smartphones that Apple can only try to catch up with. Apple allowed its flagship to fall behind. It no longer has cool commercials. It irritated and confused iPad owners with speeding up the refresh cycle and dropping version numbers -- at the same time. And yes, it has started to offer freebies. I've watched Palm running out of ideas for Treo and I am still watching Microsoft thinking it is the browser and OS god that owns standards. Palm is an irrelevant company today and Microsoft continues on the path of self-worship self-destruction. Maybe Apple can get away with being stale one more year. But if a rethink of iOS devices does not come in 2014 with possibly revolutionary iWatch and iTV, I am afraid it will slowly start going the way of Palm and Microsoft. Maybe it is just the laws of nature that dictate Apple having reached its peak.

It seems to me that Apple likes to mock Big Brother when that is exactly what they have become.

almirramic

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2011
I second this. Apple gives you something for free and instead of casually saying "oh. That's cool", the sarcasm brigade chimes in with how not impressed they are by free next day shipping. **** companies for trying right? Same with anything else apple. Same will happen at their next product announcement. Same with everything else. It's...nauseating

You have to look under the surface. Let me try to explain: Apple offering freebies is a sign of trouble. A sign that it has stopped innovating, competition is catching up and is set to overtake. Apple does not offer freebies, period. In fact, Apple that we all know has built its fame and glory on our willingness to pay good for the new and cool, and that includes cables and adapters of $50. iPhone 5 is an incremental upgrade from iPhone 4, or at the very least it's jump from 4s is not comparable to the jump from 3Gs to 4. This came at the worst time possible when people became sick of their promotion strategy, which they copied and pasted from all previous iPhones. If they continue like this Samsung and Google will crush it. Maybe even Microsoft will get it right soon enough. I watched a new Chrome commercial last night during the new episode of The Following and for the first time thought "cool" of Google commercials. If this trend continues iPhone will become incredibly cheap to own. Do you want that?

maccompatible

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
I thought I stated that what I posted was my opinion. Not to mention that all the rumors about the 5S seem to indicate a better camera and maybe a fingerprint sensor. Just like the 4 to 4S brought Siri and a better camera, not much to crow about, again, IMO.

True. And the rumors have been surprisingly correct the past few years. I'm just being optimistic.

Actually, I just got the 5. I don't care about the 5S. The 6 is what I'm looking forward to and want to be awesome. :cool:

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
True. And the rumors have been surprisingly correct the past few years. I'm just being optimistic.

Actually, I just got the 5. I don't care about the 5S. The 6 is what I'm looking forward to and want to be awesome. :cool:

I'd actually like to see that curved design that was rumored a while back. I know screen size is personal preference, but the more I look at the larger phones, the more they appeal to me. The 5 looks quite small in comparison.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
Do you get this way when auto manufacturers redesign only every 3 years and do minor upgrades (paint and chrome) in between? Is your iPhone 5 unuseable because it's so outdated?

The smartphone market is becoming saturated since half the people have no need for one. Because of that, no mater how much you innovate, it's impossible to keep doubling sales every year. When your current phone contract runs out, buy whatever new model fits your needs at that time. If you appreciate quality, useability, design, and knowing that your phone will 'just work', buy another iPhone. If price is paramount and you don't mind having to spend hours contstantly screwing with your phone to keep it working or getting it to do obscure stuff, buy from the competition. Expecting continuous revolution in fit, form, and function from any company is a lose-lose proposition for everyone.

HAHA, you're preaching to the choir.

I advocate not innovating for innovations sake. I believe things can plateau and reach their full potential and stay there doing what they do very well and stay there for a while in that state.

I don't care about cars.

My iPhone 5 is and will be the best phone on the market for the foreseeable future.

Doesn't change the fact that folks around here get restless when there isn't anything iNew to talk about. The statement still stands.

----------

Well leave us alone and go to the empty Windows 8 enthusiast site. I'm sure they would really enjoy your company. When I left the Microsoft and Palm worlds I never hung around their blogs selling my discontent I just left. We are actually happy about the products Apple makes now!!!!! Windows 8 is garbage just like Windows 7 which I used at work for 2 years. If you love that great. We don't need your negative garbage here on the "Apple User" site.

Windows 7 is great. It's a fine replacement to XP.

Windows 8 on the other hand is a steaming pile of . . .

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
what interesting is in the last quarter they increased market share even though none of there competitors actually release sales numbers only a range of what was shipped. The carriers only quote Apples sales but their percentage dominates all of the others combined so I am always puzzled by the insistence that Apple is loosing share because of phantom sales. They consistently sell all they can make and you can't get much better than that.

Opinions are one thing. My responses are to those who constantly bash Apple for anything, like offering free shipping during a promotion. How is that constructive? Its not. Its purposely destructive.

The iPhone 5 is a completely new design, from the materials to the camera to the internals because its actually thinner and the speakers, lighting connector, more powerful processor that uses less power and doesnt run as hot. Not to mention the updates to iOS. I personally like Siri being able to open any app for me. How needs a launch program?

If you are a legitimate Apple User who makes suggestions you are not one who gets under my skin. My initial response today was to a poster who was extremely anti-Apple and I don't feel this is the appropriate place for this type of behavior. another later pointed out his claims about being an Apple supporter was false as his post were trolling since 2007, the release year of the iPhone. Odd. I have used this site for twelve years. Before the ipod even came out. So, Apple had very little market share in any market. I have never contemplated clearing it from my favorites until this year. It feels like being invaded and occupied. Like they came in hiding in a trojan horse and now they are attacking from within.

I really think these people are bring paid to troll.

so youre either with us or get the hell out?!

that's a scary and dangerous mindset u have there. McCarthyism is what you want to do - oust us apple fans who dont agree with apple 100%

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
what interesting is in the last quarter they increased market share even though none of there competitors actually release sales numbers only a range of what was shipped. The carriers only quote Apples sales but their percentage dominates all of the others combined so I am always puzzled by the insistence that Apple is loosing share because of phantom sales. They consistently sell all they can make and you can't get much better than that.

Opinions are one thing. My responses are to those who constantly bash Apple for anything, like offering free shipping during a promotion. How is that constructive? Its not. Its purposely destructive.

The iPhone 5 is a completely new design, from the materials to the camera to the internals because its actually thinner and the speakers, lighting connector, more powerful processor that uses less power and doesnt run as hot. Not to mention the updates to iOS. I personally like Siri being able to open any app for me. How needs a launch program?

If you are a legitimate Apple User who makes suggestions you are not one who gets under my skin. My initial response today was to a poster who was extremely anti-Apple and I don't feel this is the appropriate place for this type of behavior. another later pointed out his claims about being an Apple supporter was false as his post were trolling since 2007, the release year of the iPhone. Odd. I have used this site for twelve years. Before the ipod even came out. So, Apple had very little market share in any market. I have never contemplated clearing it from my favorites until this year. It feels like being invaded and occupied. Like they came in hiding in a trojan horse and now they are attacking from within.

I really think these people are bring paid to troll.

I think a lot of it is when you are number one as Apple is they attract a lot more attention both positive and negative. I think they also get held at a higher standard and expectations to still be considered number one.

Siri is nice but isn't convienent for me. Most of the time I'm in an office setting or around people when I'm using my phone and don't want to annoy them by speaking commands so the fewest amount of strokes is still important to me for lauching things. However, its good that both Apple and Samsung are making there assistants more simple for in car use where it's most useful.

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
I don't know why anyone is devoted to any brand unless they own or work for the company.

How about because they like the way a particular brand designs things? People might hate Ferrari because they focus on performance. They isntead choose a Cadillac for the comfort. They stick with the brand because the brand fits them.

Linux guru's out there probably like the Android platform more than the iOS platform because it fits them.

You don't have to work for or own a company to be devoted to a brand, it just depends on what product fits for you.

----------

It's been proven that "down" button hurts people's feelings and makes them depressed. Free trophies for everyone that comments.

Good job MR community, you get a gold star sticker.

So, why is that bad?

Oh wait, were in the "everyone gets a trophy" generation.

Sorry. :rolleyes:

----------

"Baaaaaa"

Back to the herd now sheep, you've wandered too far.

I manage both Androids and iOS devices. I have 2 Androids personally and an iPhone.

Android is bad. Hardware and OS. I have the first hand experience and history with the devices to make that statement.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
It's a double edge sword, isn't it? And Blackberry has it even worse.

The way to do it (and I half-remember stories of M$ doing this) is to pay the big software houses to make their must-have apps for your new platform. That way, it can be released with "everything you need". If yo go far enough, there will be a decent selection when the new platform is launched.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I'd actually like to see that curved design that was rumored a while back. I know screen size is personal preference, but the more I look at the larger phones, the more they appeal to me. The 5 looks quite small in comparison.

It is quite small.

Back when the original iPhone came out, one of the great things about it was that the screen was huge compared to a BB or a Treo. It is ironic as hell that Apple now is known for tiny screens.

Apple is not even keeping up, much less leapfrogging ahead.

----------

Do you get this way when auto manufacturers redesign only every 3 years and do minor upgrades (paint and chrome) in between? Is your iPhone 5 unuseable because it's so outdated?

Back when automotive tech was advancing rapidly, people expected innovative new cars every year. Some people bought new cars every year.

Nowadays, the car market is advancing less rapidly then the electronics markets.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
The stock shorters have been pounding these forums lately.

I'm pretty sure that the money managers at the Hedge Funds and the Pension Funds and the other Wall Street big money types who own our precious are not influenced by this forum.

I'd bet on it.

----------

My iPhone 5 is and will be the best phone on the market for the foreseeable future.

Your i5 is already behind the Galaxy S3, much less the S4. The HTC One just came out, which too is superior.

When Apple gets a (now) normal 1080p screen, then you can start saying that Apple has caught up to the pack. Until then, not so much.

The i5 was a disappointment compared with what was then available, and is a disappointment now compared to the alternatives now available.

If Apple comes out with a new disappointment, they might lose critical minshare mass. It has already lost the confidence of its owners.

Last edited:

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
You have to look under the surface. Let me try to explain: Apple offering freebies is a sign of trouble. A sign that it has stopped innovating, competition is catching up and is set to overtake. Apple does not offer freebies, period.
Hmm, your analysis could be correct, it certainly fits with some companies. Except that the last sentence I quoted is incorrect. Apple has offered some free shipping for a long, long time. They are simply upping the free shipping on phones only, if I read correctly. This is likely to match what phone carriers have been doing for years, rather than to save their bottom line.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
It is quite small.

Back when the original iPhone came out, one of the great things about it was that the screen was huge compared to a BB or a Treo. It is ironic as hell that Apple now is known for tiny screens.

Apple is not even keeping up, much less leapfrogging ahead.

----------

Back when automotive tech was advancing rapidly, people expected innovative new cars every year. Some people bought new cars every year.

Nowadays, the car market is advancing less rapidly then the electronics markets.

It's funny how similar screen sizes can be called "huge" and then "tiny", depending on the context (or intent of the author)... as long as Apple goes with the "one current model", I think it's safe to say they won't change much about the "tiny" screen size. I like it, many other users do too and I prefer it over a "huge" S4 screen. I could add a "Samsung isn't even keeping up" as it's all based on personal preference, but I'll leave dumb rhetorics like that to others ;-) .

As far as it goes for innovation - the smartphone technology seems to have reached a plateau for a while now. The term "innovation" itself has been overused a lot lately (I think I counted it 58 times during Samsungs cringeworthy S4 presentation).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.