Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SarcasticJoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Finland
A lot of you seem to be forgetting that at Apple, the product pipeline is often several years long. The original iPad began development as early as 2004 if I recall right and ended up being put on the back burner to make the iPhone in 2007 only to come back into focus in 2009 for a 2010 launch.

Thus anything started under Cook's reign probably won't be ready to be shown off to the world for some time.

Also, Cook is very different kind of boss compared to Jobs. He was hired by Jobs to take care of the boring stuff like supply chain management, manufacturing and all the really time consuming stuff that would otherwise have forced Jobs to not be able to be so hands-on with product development. Now that Cook also occupies Jobs' old seat, he has a very different kind of style. Where Jobs was hands on and very much in control of all the development, Cook is more trusting of his managers and lets them "do their thing", trusting that this will lead to them making great products.

Now before you try to slam Cook for just letting managers be incompetent and deliver buggy products, I will have to point out that Apple released plenty of faulty things when Jobs was still alive and in charge of Apple. There's legendary screw-ups like "antennagate", the launch of Mobile Me, OSX 10.5, the Apple III and hiring John Sculley.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Given what other things Samsung makes.
One would think Samsung would be in a far better, far easier position to build cars if it every wanted to.

I'm sure if you can build ships, a car should not be THAT much of a challenge :)

Seems like Samsung has been involved in cars for ages:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Samsung_SM5

1998!

warnergt

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2006
"...Apple offers highly-competitive benefits and large annual paychecks. "

If my paycheck came annually, it would be large, too. :p

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
What does Samsung develop for Apple's A chips? I thought they were just a fab.

Apple develops the A chip itself. Samsung merely fabricates the devices.

Yes, my poor choice of words. But if Apple can get the skills and knowledge through the hires on the fab process, that may help them become less reliant on Samsung over time.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Apple develops the A chip itself. Samsung merely fabricates the devices.

Really?

I thought Apple used an ARM chip design, Licenced from ARM who have been designing and making ARM RISC Chips since the Acorn Archimedes.

http://arm.com/products/processors/index.php

Apple licence their work and, "fiddle" with it a bit.

http://www.itechpost.com/articles/9716/20130524/iphone-6-feature-a7-arm-cortex-processor-2gb-ram.htm

Perhaps Apple might design their own chip in the future though?

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Really?

I thought Apple used an ARM chip design, Licenced from ARM who have been designing and making ARM RISC Chips since the Acorn Archimedes.

http://arm.com/products/processors/index.php

Apple licence their work and, "fiddle" with it a bit.

http://www.itechpost.com/articles/9716/20130524/iphone-6-feature-a7-arm-cortex-processor-2gb-ram.htm

Perhaps Apple might design their own chip in the future though?

You seem to know very little about arm licensing....
In short, NO. Apple designed its own SoC, using ARM IP

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
You seem to know very little about arm licensing....
In short, NO. Apple designed its own SoC, using ARM IP

So why do they need ARM then?
Just start with a blank sheet of Paper and design their own chip from scratch like ARM did.

AppleCommander

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
Given what other things Samsung makes.
One would think Samsung would be in a far better, far easier position to build cars if it every wanted to.

I'm sure if you can build ships, a car should not be THAT much of a challenge :)

Seems like Samsung has been involved in cars for ages:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Samsung_SM5

1998!

Samsung has been involved in many different tech sectors. Their cars are not popular at all though.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Samsung has been involved in many different tech sectors. Their cars are not popular at all though.

Doesn't change the facts that they're still involved in the automotive sector since 1998.

what the bloody fudge does popularity have to do with it?:rolleyes:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Doesn't change the facts that they're still involved in the automotive sector since 1998.

Because popularity is the only thing that matters, unless your favorite device isn't the most popular.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Because popularity is the only thing that matters, unless your favorite device isn't the most popular.

And yet, calling someone out for their willfull ignorance of facts because of their fanboy rose coloured glasses doesn't get THEM in trouble with the moderators (even if they're outright lying in their posts)

but call someone out on their lie and fanboyism and you get a letter from the mods :p

SirCheese

Suspended
Sep 30, 2014
Fort Myers, Florida
And yet, calling someone out for their willfull ignorance of facts because of their fanboy rose coloured glasses doesn't get THEM in trouble with the moderators (even if they're outright lying in their posts)

but call someone out on their lie and fanboyism and you get a letter from the mods :p
Or gets your account suspended for a week....

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I never said that you stated that he was incompetent. I was saying (in different words) that you cannot compare him to Jobs. SJ was a visionary. That was his craft. Saying Cook hasn't proven himself just because he's not the "idea guy" Jobs was really has no relevance. Each has their own craft. Apple was already "Up There" when Jobs was on board but he didn't get Apple above Exxon Mobile in terms of company value, so you can't give all the credit to Apple's legacy products.

Cook has been the CEO for 4 years and he's done quite a bit and the company has progressed quite a bit. I'm not looking for him to be the "idea guy", he can hire people for that. He needs to take the company to the next level and he has been doing that.

1. You implied it when you wrote "Apple is certainly not mismanaged" because I never implied anything of the sort in my post. So to make that comment is also to say I think it must be.

2. All I'm going to say about the rest of your post is that it's a fact Tim Cook has yet to fully execute any project that he has 100% ownership in because his tenure is still relatively fresh. That' all my original post said. Why you guys jump off the rails I don't know. You'd think the guy was your brother or dad not some CEO you have zero connection to.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I can't wait until Apple controls everything in the world. Then the doom people keep talking about will be a reality.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Saying that there won't be another Steve jobs, I'd say that Cook did a good job so far.

You are from Italy so I'll give you a pass here. I wasn't saying Tim Cook needs to be Son of Jobs, but rather he needs to prove he can execute ideas like Steve Jobs. Tim Cook is his own CEO and will guide Apple the way he sees fit. Can he execute all new products. That's the question we do not know yet.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
2. All I'm going to say about the rest of your post is that it's a fact Tim Cook has yet to fully execute any project that he has 100% ownership in because his tenure is still relatively fresh. That' all my original post said. Why you guys jump off the rails I don't know. You'd think the guy was your brother or dad not some CEO you have zero connection to.

All that extra noise is really unnecessary. Since I went through the posts connected to yours and multiple people have a rebuttal against what you said then you should question your own words and not fault others for their reaction to yours. Ciao.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
The timeframe to complete a lawsuit is 4 years on average. The time frame to use a new hire's special knowledge due to non-compete is 1 year. They can sit on their butts and train on Apple procedures for a year and work on peripheral projects for a year, after which all claims are moot. Apple in the meantime prevents those skilled workers from helping the competition on "key projects". Simple cost benefit analysis. Thank capitalism for deep pockets.

Apple needs a far bigger spaceship! Or one in TX too, then Virginia. Invade DC. :D Last SS curved glass finished this week in Europe.

Rocketman

Russia TV is an interesting social experiment in misdirection, in the internet era.
Next: Form a spaceship just past the border of Russia and hire ALL their brightest. Bar none.

Last edited:

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
So why do they need ARM then?
Just start with a blank sheet of Paper and design their own chip from scratch like ARM did.

Oh my, you do know so little about Apple. They started with ARM cortex SoC since the beginning, before deciding to design their own (with the iPhone 4).
Actually iPhone 4 A4 SoC was still a cortex A8 slightly modified, and the iPhone 4S A5 SoC was basically a dual core ARM Cortex A9.
The very first SoC designed by Apple was the A6, included in the iPhone 5, with its Swift Architecture. A brilliant SoC, surpassed by the Cyclone (A7) that is more similar to a desktop architecture than a mobile one.

No needs to start from scratch when you have to maintain backwards compatibility and you have an ARM IP ready to be used with a simple licensing procedure.

----------

I can't wait until Apple controls everything in the world. Then the doom people keep talking about will be a reality.

Apple has no leadership on any market share.
They are not in a dominant position.
They are just making the best products (mostly).

I'd be more worried about Samsung....

----------

As I already said, Samsung is involved in almost everything.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Samsung just just bought Magna, the supplier that Apple was said to have had meetings with regarding the iCar.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
So you're saying Samsung has battery tech of the future?

Looking at the sales of Renault-Samsung, I'd say Samsung may have some employees in its automotive department whose job prospects are not very good and who will be more than willing to go to Apple.

And some of them have a CV that makes Apple interested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.