Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Oh - I'd probably agree with you at current Samsung's tablet market isn't much of a thread - but I wouldn't write them off so quickly in the near future. We'll see.

The problem of going in and out of various news threads is that I was responding to Samsung in general being a threat to Apple. I do believe their phones are a huge threat to Apple.

Samsung is not a threat in the tablet space is because of Nexus 7 and Nexus 10. Google is hell bent to try to lower the price of an Android tablet to the point that they are selling the Nexus 7 at a loss (BOM + design cost + market cost + distribution cost exceed the price of the tablet now). Looks like Google will subsidize Samsung for producing Nexus 10 and price the tablet in the $400+- range. If that price is right, Google will loss money on the Nexus 10 too..

So if you are sitting in Samsung shoes, what will you do in the tablet space? Samsung doesn't have the search revenue stream that Google has after they sell the tablet. And if they need to sell tablet at a loss, why should they produce one in the first place? Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 pricing is bad news for any Android maker. It set the bar to no profit to a loss. And once Samsung is done with producing Nexus 10 for Google, they won't be able to raise the price of their next Android tablet and they can't produce one of their own brand now with higher price. At least Apple can rely on different ecosystem and build in fan base. But Android maker has to compete with Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 on price and features and no one want to loss a lot of money. It will be interesting to see what other Android vendor will announce tablet in the next few months and at what price...

And Google is going to announce the next Nexus phone on Oct 29 rumored to be produced by LG. Let's see what the pricing is.. If the LG nexus is any good, Samsung is going to be in trouble making money producing Android phone as well.. Google is the elephant in the room because they have money to burn and they want cheap Android mobile device to counter the pending loss of IOS search market (anyone don't belive Apple will kick Google search out of IOS device once their contract end need to think again. Apple already replaced Google with Baidu in China market. ).

Last edited:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Google is the elephant in the room because they have money to burn and they want cheap Android mobile device to counter the pending loss of IOS search market (anyone don't belive Apple will kick Google search out of IOS device once their contract end need to think again. Apple already replaced Google with Baidu in China market. ).

I'd say you're drawing conclusions which may or may not be factual..

IE - there's a good reason Apple offers Baidu in China - and they didn't remove Google as an option. Unlike what they did in the states with Maps. Apple merely adjusted their iOS to support the most used search engine in China to best serve its customers there.

"Baidu is currently not available to iOS users in China. Instead, like in the U.S., Google's search platform is the default option on Chinese iPhones. With Baidu integration, Chinese customers will have the option to choose which search product to use. It's not clear if Baidu, which is far more popular in China than Google, would become the default search option on Chinese iPhones. During the second quarter, Baidu dominated the Chinese search market with 78.5 percent share. Google came in a distant second with 16.6 percent share."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-5...nds-on-ios-as-early-as-next-week-report-says/

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
I'd say you're drawing conclusions which may or may not be factual..

heh heh, if you don't think Apple is fully intended to kick Google out of IOS when their contract is done, I have a bridge to sell you. Of course it is just my conclusion and it is not a fact. It has not happened yet. But if you read the industry tea leaf, Amazon already put Bing as their default search engine in Fire HD. Given the competitive posture between Apple and Google vs Apple and Microsoft, I can't understand how anyone would think that Apple will decide to continue using Google search engine. It is the same rational they kick Google map out of IOS. We have war between Microsoft, Google, and Apple on mobile supremacy and they are not going to help each other unless they have to.

Looks at it this way, Baidu has been the dominated search engine in China for the last 3-4 years, why didn't Apple announce the same Baidu deal in Iphone 4 or 4S or Ipad 3 time? Some how Tim Cook and his executive team just wake up this year and decide to strike the deal this year?

http://mashable.com/2012/09/07/bing-kindle-fire-hd/

Microsoft told Mashable that its Bing search engine will be the default on the Amazon Kindle Fire HD‘s web browser. Amazon also confirmed it.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
What Amazon or Microsoft does is irrelevant to the conversation.

Unless you know the details of the deal with Google and Apple - you don't know if Apple wasn't able to put Baidu on until a certain time. Do you?

We can all be armchair prognosticators. Some flights of fancy are more convoluted.

You wrote "Apple already replaced Google with Baidu in China market. " and that's what I was replying to. Apple didn't replace Google in the China market. Now did they?

You can have your opinion. But lying or ignoring facts does nothing to serve your cause.

heh heh, if you don't think Apple is fully intended to kick Google out of IOS when their contract is done, I have a bridge to sell you. Of course it is just my conclusion and it is not a fact. It has not happened yet. But if you read the industry tea leaf, Amazon already put Bing as their default search engine in Fire HD. Given the competitive posture between Apple and Google vs Apple and Microsoft, I can't understand how anyone would think that Apple will decide to continue using Google search engine. It is the same rational they kick Google map out of IOS. We have war between Microsoft, Google, and Apple on mobile supremacy and they are not going to help each other unless they have to.

Looks at it this way, Baidu has been the dominated search engine in China for the last 3-4 years, why didn't Apple announce the same Baidu deal in Iphone 4 or 4S or Ipad 3 time? Some how Tim Cook and his executive team just wake up this year and decide to strike the deal this year?

http://mashable.com/2012/09/07/bing-kindle-fire-hd/

Microsoft told Mashable that its Bing search engine will be the default on the Amazon Kindle Fire HD‘s web browser. Amazon also confirmed it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.