Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
Again, you're assuming that those people represent the entire US population. There are lots of people that would have been able to answer all those questions without pausing to think. Stop discriminating based on YouTube videos.

Nope - just pointing out that ignorance and intelligence and two very different things. I made no comment on any of the US population in this instance.

Gaspode67

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Oxon, UK
Hah. Don't think you quite understand what ITV stands for. Nice try though

As someone born and brought up in the UK over 6 decades, I know what ITV stands for*. What I was doing was highlighting the fetish of certain posters who say that anyone who has a trademark/product name starting with i owes Apple billions of dollars isn't really thinking straight.

*sadly, nowadays ITV "stands for" stuff like TOWIE, X-Factor, and *shudder* Jeremy Kyle. I like to look back to when it stood for something good like Inspector Morse, The Sandbaggers, Sweeney, etc...

nokuchikushi

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2012
Please tell me you're joking. If you were next to me I would just punch you in the nose. And Apple on the side of the good and the right and the just? I didn't know everyone at Apple had become saints.

Sometimes I lose my faith in US americans and their ego, thanks for restoring my faith in most of you.

This makes sense. No trolling companies (either Apple or iFone), but just companies defending themselves.

Oh, come on. I have "never, ever" heard of them before, but I don't know every company in Mexico, nor have I been interested in services from telecommunication companies. It's not like they're an Oxxo that you can find them in every corner.

Thank you for telling the truth! Americans can be such ******.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
lets start by saying I am proud mexican, altough I live in the border with the states so I go across the border several times a week, but I dont want to be american, there is a lot op people proud to be mexican. FACT: The full name of Mexico is Estados Unidos Mexicanos, could be translated in to Mexican United States, so we are US Citizen, that is from Mexico, and we live in North America, South America officialy starts below Mexico.

Sure in México we have lots of corruption but hope Apple doesnt contribute to that, we are more good people than bad and trying to change this from our country.

about the Drug business, that is a different story, but again not all are consumers or dealers,

The thing with this iFone thing is that it sounds similar, and was registered several years before. Apple should make a deal with this company, I dont think they want to stop selling the iPhone in Mexico, we are a lot of customers and the demand is growing because people are upgrading their blackberry to iPhone.

So not all Mexicans are bad people, not all want to become us citizen, and lots of people here use iPhone, iFone? I dont know what is

I have a few dozens of mexican friends.
Just like in any country, most people are good or great.
Only the corrupt people are the bad guys. In some places there are more bad people than good, but that doesn't mean that all are bad.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Yes, we all know Apple will throw money at the legal system until they get their way, because Apple doesn't know any other way to compete.

Compete??? What's wrong with wanting to use the same name in every country?
The issue with Apple suing first for a patent that was registered years before only shows that some of Apple's lawyers didn't do their due research and screwed up, which backfired at Apple. The responsible party may already got fired for that stupid mistake.

In reality, iFone (pronounced in spanish) and iPhone (pronounced in english) sound completely different.

Apple is not going to change the name of the iPhone to something else just for Mexico. They will either win the trial, come to an agreement with iFone or buy it and get it out of the way.

----------

I guess it's only a question of time before they sue Iran and Iraq for their obvious trademark infringement.

Remember the Windows vs Lindows controversy?
Microsoft won the trial regardless how stupid and senseless this was.

The name Lindows was changed to Linspire.

----------

I agree... Apple has to stop thinking they can just sue everybody and anybody they feel like for the dumbest reasons. What's next? will they register the letter "i" as a prefix?

Anyway, three things here:

1. The MacRumors article fails to mention that the company iFone (http://www.ifone.com.mx) is in the call center hardware and software business. It has nothing to do with mobile phones, Apple or anything related with its products or services.

2. The picture that MacRumors presents in the article - that with an iPhone 5 - is disingenuous. Nowhere else can such picture be found, and certainly not in iFone's website. My guess is that MacRumors doctored that picture to make the article more appealing.

3. The company iFone registered its brand name in 2003 - long before the iPhone was even a concept. And it was until 2009 that Apple tried to sue them, lost, and iFone countersued them as a retaliatory measure, but the company itself didn't saw a conflict until Apple started it.

Hope this clarifies the issue.

My guess is that this case has to do with Apple's bad legal counsel, it's raging narcissism and the idea that they are the rulers of the universe. If Apple understood the name and the case, it wouldn't have started it. But when dumb lawyers get involved for a big fat fee, this is what you get. Glad they got their asses handed back to them.

Cheers!

Yeah, a trigger-happy lawyer who saw easy money. Probably a new unexperienced one, who didn't due his homework before opening his mouth.

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
No, it isn't simple as that. First, Apple does have products and they do sell them, so they're not a troll.

Secondly, in some countries including USA, if Apple does not fight to protect its trademark, they forfeit their trademark automatically. Apple fought in Mexico to protect its original "iPhone" trademark. 'iFone' is now counter-suing Apple because "iPhone" sounds similar to their 'iFone' trademark.

Apple simply preemptively sued iFone because they knew iFone will eventually sue (they're required to or they'll lose against Apple automatically).

...you can't honestly believe that. You literally can not honestly believe that.

If you aren't trolling, you have seriously got to step back, because your blind fanboyism is really hindering your ability to look at this objectively.

ctrl94

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
Compete??? What's wrong with wanting to use the same name in every country?

I wasn't referring just to this case. I was referring to the Apple vs. Samsung thing, where they sued because Samsung made a touchscreen tablet and then Samsung won everywhere but the US. That doesn't seem suspicious to you?

MadDawg2020

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
A$$le

Hmm let see Apple got a ruling against them.

I am betting Apple made an offer to buy this company before the ink on the judges signature dried.

NOTHING stands in the way of Apple and its dominance !

ctrl94

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
Hmm let see Apple got a ruling against them.

I am betting Apple made an offer to buy this company before the ink on the judges signature dried.

NOTHING stands in the way of Apple and its dominance !

You're right, not even laws stand in the way of Apple when they want something. What was that whole thing where every country except the US ruled against them and told them they didn't own the tablet market?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Ifone?? Yuk.

Is that a new naame? Crappt a bit.... There is always one country that chooses to be diffent.

ctrl94

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
You know...it would be kind of ironic if MacDonalds were to sue Apple for the use of the Mac name (such as Big Mac). :)

Of funnier still if Apple were to go after them for it. ;)

Did anyone see where Apple was awarded a patent for touchscreen maps? I'm just waiting for them to sue over it and get crushed by Google.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I wasn't referring just to this case. I was referring to the Apple vs. Samsung thing, where they sued because Samsung made a touchscreen tablet and then Samsung won everywhere but the US. That doesn't seem suspicious to you?

LOL, no wonder I couldn't understand you. Well, you may be right, but then again, business is business. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.