Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Peyote said:
I am so psyched about the 8X superdrive...I was going to buy my mini through MacConnection since they don't charge sales tax in TX and I can get the config I want (1.25Ghz, Superdrive). Now I will be ordering through Apple.com for sure. That slow superdrive was one thing I really wished was different when they were first announced. I'm glad I had to wait to order...I'll be placing my order for a mini with the following specs tonight:

1.25 Ghz
8x Superdrive
256 MB
40 GB
Apple Keyboard & Mouse

I'll also be ordering a 1 GB module from one of these vendors:

http://dealram.com/prices/23/1GB.html

More than likely Mac Connection will be able to do something similar too.

Though it could play in reverse, and there could be price increases a few weeks from now too.

Oh, what to do. :)

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
dicklacara said:
I just got off the phone with Apple.

2) After much checking I was told that the Superdrive has not been upgraded -- It is 8X read

I REALLY hope that's not the case...if so, that's false advertising plain and simple, since on the BTO page for PowerMacs, the drive is listed as an 8X Superdrive, and that drive does burn at 8X. I've never seen apple list the read speed as the drive speed before, I hope their not doing it now.

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
swissmann said:
• 256MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 DIMM
• 80GB Ultra ATA drive
• 8x SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
• Internal Bluetooth + AirPort Extreme Card
• 56K v.92 Modem
• Mac OS X - U.S. English
• 1.25GHz PowerPC G4
1 GB Aftermarket RAM
20" apple Monitor
Aftermarket Keyboard Mouse
$1,953.00

• 256MB DDR400 SDRAM - 1 DIMM
• 160GB Serial ATA drive
• AirPort Extreme Card
• Bluetooth Module
• Keyboard and Mouse + Mac OS X - U.S. English
• 20-inch widescreen LCD
• 1.8GHz PowerPC G5
• SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
• NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra w/64MB video memory
1 GB Aftermarket RAM
$2,187.00

iMac advantages G5 and more MHz processor, extra 80 GB, faster RAM, extra 256 RAM, faster video card.
Mac mini advantages faster superdrive, two button mouse, separate monitor for later, $234

For the performance/budget minded:
• 256MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 DIMM
• 80GB Ultra ATA drive
• 8x SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
• Internal Bluetooth + AirPort Extreme Card
• 56K v.92 Modem
• Mac OS X - U.S. English
• 1.25GHz PowerPC G4
Dell UltraSharp 2001FP 20.1" LCD
512 Aftermarket RAM
Aftermarket Keyboard/Mouse
$1,424.00

If you put everything in the imac into the mac mini then it is not as good of a deal. the biggest bonus of the mac mini is it's flexibility. you can add or take off what you like and put it anywhere you like without it getting in the way. Similarly, you could buy an all in one stereo system and have everything all built in, or you could just by an amplifier, then choose your speakers and cd-changer based on what suits your needs the best.

This is weird.

Supply and demand. Lots of people are talking about what this means as far as the computer and early adopters and such. But... apple is a buisness-the only logical reason to cut the price is if there isn't enough demand. But isn't there a wait on the mini's? Maybe apple sees that it's only an early adopter phenomanon, and they want demand to exceed supply for a while longer, to build hype? I thought these were selling well, but price cuts indicate the opposite. Then again, maybe mini's are selling great, just not with BTO options, and so it's simply price cutting in those...

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Hector said:
bring on the bitching about no powerbook's :rolleyes:

the imac g5 and the powerbook/ibook optical drives will surely be 8X from now on like what they did with the powermac when the emac got an 8x superdrive

Could be that given the relatively low costs for the dual layer DVDRs, that the next updates to the "higher end" models may have them as well. It would provide a reason for those looking at the Mac mini to truly consider moving up.

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
dontmatter said:
This is weird.

Supply and demand. Lots of people are talking about what this means as far as the computer and early adopters and such. But... apple is a buisness-the only logical reason to cut the price is if there isn't enough demand. But isn't there a wait on the mini's? Maybe apple sees that it's only an early adopter phenomanon, and they want demand to exceed supply for a while longer, to build hype? I thought these were selling well, but price cuts indicate the opposite. Then again, maybe mini's are selling great, just not with BTO options, and so it's simply price cutting in those...

That's what my guess would be...I imagine hardly anyone was ordering the Mini with the 1GB RAM upgrade...I think they just want to price the options more affordably because those options weren't selling well.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Peyote said:
I REALLY hope that's not the case...if so, that's false advertising plain and simple, since on the BTO page for PowerMacs, the drive is listed as an 8X Superdrive, and that drive does burn at 8X. I've never seen apple list the read speed as the drive speed before, I hope their not doing it now.

If you click the 'Learn more' link, it says:

The SuperDrive reads DVDs at 8x, writes to DVD-R at 4x, writes to DVD-RW at 2x, writes DVD+R at 4x, writes DVD+RW at 2-4x, reads CDs at 24x, writes to CD-R at 16x, and writes to CD-RW at 8x.

So it's 8x read.

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
Nermal said:

So it's 8x read.

I guess its safe to assume it's just sneaky advertising, or a typo...I'm still hoping that they just haven't changed the specs pages because they upgraded the drive though. lame.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
This comes as a surprise indeed.

Who saw this coming? This now looks very attractive indeed. ;) :)

8x SuperDrives are also coming to the PB, iBook and iMac G5 lines. :)

Should I buy or not, hmm.....nah I shall wait. :)

bertagert

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2003
dontmatter said:
This is weird.

I'm pretty sure its option B. They want more people upgrading the add-ons but that probably didn't happen. So, to inch out a few more dimes...cut some prices on the options and you'll get your dimes.

Superhob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Bummer! :(

I just got off the phone with a sales rep who checked with higher-ups and verified for me that the superdrive reads dvds at 8x and writes at 4x. This is not the same drive as in the the emacs or the powermacs. He said that they would correct the info on the apple store page.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Peyote said:
I'm still hoping that they just haven't changed the specs pages because they upgraded the drive though. lame.

I think that's exactly what it is because the specs page hasn't changed one bit since 1/11. Someone is probably just running behind in getting specs page updated. As everyone has said, an 8x SuperDrive means 8x burning, not reading. The only other possibility it could be would be that it's a typo. Either way, we should know within the next day or so I'd think.

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
Regarding the 5400 RPM hard drive, in the anandtech review they stated that their Mini (a 1.25) did have a 5400 RPM Segate hard drive installed and that is seems to be the 'luck of the draw' if you get it or a 4200 RPM drive. Hopefully this signals that Apple will be using the 5400 RPM drives.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
eduo said:
What I am is worried that people will take pause now and decide to wait to see if it drops even lower, which could mean impulse buys are lost and as bottom line of sold minis drops the model is either dropped or cut in specs to fit the new lower price.

I don't know. I don't think it's really a good thing that they dropped price so soon, if you ask me, which you didn't.

Eduo

I don't think that will happen. There are many of us that would like to think of ourselves as savvy shoppers, that are rethinking of our plans to wait. Simply because we know what goes down in retail can go up.

Since this seems to be the first time Apple has done something like this, it is possible that they are testing the waters for dynamic pricing.

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
Superhob said:
Bummer! :(

I just got off the phone with a sales rep who checked with higher-ups and verified for me that the superdrive reads dvds at 8x and writes at 4x. This is not the same drive as in the the emacs or the powermacs. He said that they would correct the info on the apple store page.

lame.

mcgarry

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2004
bpd115 said:
Regarding the 5400 RPM hard drive, in the anandtech review they stated that their Mini (a 1.25) did have a 5400 RPM Segate hard drive installed and that is seems to be the 'luck of the draw' if you get it or a 4200 RPM drive. Hopefully this signals that Apple will be using the 5400 RPM drives.

"Luck of the draw"? Is there much precedent for this (not a switch in spec mid-stream, but just random differences)?

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
nydoofus said:
Kingston 1GB ValueRAM $139.99 after Mail-in-Rebate

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/3325732
Keep in mind that the ram on the Mini is not supposed to be user-serviced; rather, they require one of those "apple certified" people to replace it. Check to see if it voids your warranty before you try replacing on your own.

That said, there are plenty of us that have replaced ram on systems where you were supposed to take it to a dealer to replace. However, late model Macs haven't had this 'requirement', which suggests to me that there may be something tricky about replacing the RAM on your own.

--D

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Price drops and spec boosts on a product that's already selling well--and just after introduction... Apple is now dangerously unpredictable. I am chilled to the bone.

Does this mean they think they can meet demand soon?

Don't forget to take advantage of their price protection policy if you already bought!

BTW, current edu pricing:

Mac Mini: $479 or $579
512 RAM: $67
1 GB: $262
80 GB HD: $45
8x SuperDrive: $90
Bluetooth: $45
AirPort: $71
BT and AirPort both: $89
Mouse and keyboard set: $52
Mouse or keyboard alone: $26
Wireless mouse and keyboard set: $99 (same as non-edu)
Wireless mouse or keyboard alone: $53
Composite/S-video/TV adapter: $17.10
AppleCare extension: $99
17" NEC monitor: $159
20" Cinema Display: $899
23" Cinema Display: $1599
iWork Academic: $49
MS Office 2004 Student/Teacher: $149.95
Final Cut Express HD: $149 (half price!)
Belkin or Kensington 4-port silver USB 2.0 hub: $29.95
Belkin 7-port silver USB 2.0 hub: $49.95
Belkin Keyboard/Video/Mouse/Audio-Out/Audio-In switch with 2 sets of cables and a 2-port USB hub: $129

Not bad.

The 3rd-party stuff (CRT, hubs) is the same price as non-edu.

ScubaDuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2003
Europe
Nermal said:

So it's 8x read.

Thanks for pointing it out!

I do wonder if it is worth to get the superdrive upgrade since i-DVD 05 now supports writing an image to disk. In effect we could just use an external burner, perhaps with dual layer since those are supposed to be supported in Tiger

No price changes in Belgium as of yet. Apple still lists the 1 Gb upgrade for 430 Eurobucks....That is about twice as much Crucial is selling it in the US!

HarmlessRabbit

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2005
Peyote said:
Just keep in mind that opinions are like @ssholes...and what's great for you might not be good for someone else.

Look, I know you're bitter about the extra price you're going to have to pay, Mr. Grumpy, but no need to get all defensive. :)

boom.boom.ba

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2004
Canada
I just received an email from Apple regarding my Mac Mini order:

To Our Valued Apple Customer:

Thank you for your recent order.

We are writing to inform you that your order has been changed to reflect our new, lower pricing!

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
HarmlessRabbit said:
Look, I know you're bitter about the extra price you're going to have to pay, but no need to get all defensive. :)

I hope you were being sarcastic, because if you weren't, you didn't read enough to know what I was saying.

I'm not bitter about paying more, because I won't be paying more. I'm not buying Tiger.

Go ahead and wait for Tiger to buy your mini...in the mean time I'll tell you all about how great it is having one. :p

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
impierced said:

I'm sorry, but if you read the reviews on this product you will find out that it has terrible problems and people are considering filing a class action lawsuit.

One of the major issues is that it does not work with the Apple displays. I reccomend you stay away from this product. I'm sure many companies will be releasing DVI KVM's in the next few months.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Object-X said:
Apple's memory policy and prices are an embarrassment to what is an otherwise excellent product line. Memory sticks are up to 50% more than at Crucial and stock computers with only 256MB is just plain sad. And not only that, but Mac are notoriously picky about cheap memory. One of my coworkers who just bought an iMac came in my office complaining that the "only" thing he didn't like about the Mac was how slow it was! I told him to upgrade the memory and he just came in this morning telling me that solved his problem and everything is perfect now. How many new users of Apple computers will have a bad experience simply because their system out of the box underperforms due to insufficient memory? Stupid! My coworkers statement to me says it all..."I wouldn't have known what the problem was unless you told me." What good is a G5 processor if you don't have the memory to run anything? :mad:

While 256mb is not enough for those of us here on MR, it is enough for maybe 80% of the users out there.

For consumers that buy online from Apple, Apple does need to do a better job at convincing those users to upgrade to 512mb. Some thing like a tag line under the memory upgrade spot mentioning increased performance with 512mb and 1gb upgrades.

You mention that compared to Crucial that Apple memory prices are up to 50% higher. With the price drop on this machine at least, that is not the case. Based on PC2700 memory the differences are 7.5% lower for the Apple 512mb memory and 30.8% higher for the Apple 1gb than Crucial. Yes, I know that does not factor in the wasted cost of the 256mb module.

In the end though the consumer can buy piece of mind that the total package will be covered un the Apple warranty. And most likely if the go with the 1gb RAM and AE/BT, that they will never have to open the box again. This will satisfy the 80% of the users that the Mac mini is targeted towards.

For the other 20%, we may be willing to risk damage and the warranty (and ourselves based on a posting here about a guy that sliced his finger pretty well and bent the metal tongues installing RAM in his Mac mini).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.