Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

golfnut1982

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2014
Chicago, IL
I have a few questions about the battery replacement for a MacBook Pro M1 16 inch laptop.
  1. If one decides it's time to replace the battery with Apple service, what is the procedure involved safeguarding your information on the laptop when sent in for repair? There does not seem to be clear cut procedure on this.
  2. Is one to assume that you just leave your MacBook Pro in the hands of the technician to replace your battery and get it back without them getting access to any information on the laptop or needing to know your password?
  3. Do we have to log out or remove the laptop from our accounts or find my like we are going to sell it? Thanks in advance.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002

1. Expect your machine to come back with all data gone. It might not come to you that way, but by expecting it you will be prepared. Backup everything before you give the machine to Apple.

2. Apple suggests turning on FileVault, so no technician will be able to see your data (because you are not going to give them your password).

3. You should shut down the machine before you hand it over. You can leave everything as is and it might come back with everything still there. Apple does want you to turn off Find My Mac, which also removes Activation Lock.

Reactions: golfnut1982
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.