Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the Helix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
For some reason, when I am at Starbucks or Borders and am hooked up to the T-mobile line there, I can readily retrieve all my e-mail through Apple's Mail.app, but when it comes to sending e-mail through that same app., I have never been able to send anything out of it.

So why am I able to retrieve my e-mail through Apple's Mail.app, but I am not able to send e-mail through it? Wierd.

Thanks for any help anyone can give regarding this.

Applespider

macrumors G4
It's probably to do with your regular ISPs mail server policies. Some ISPs only let you sent out through their servers when you're connected to their network. It's to stop spam being sent out primarily. Check with your ISP to see whether you can use their mailservers from outside their network if you authenticate with your username/password.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
the Helix said:
For some reason, when I am at Starbucks or Borders and am hooked up to the T-mobile line there, I can readily retrieve all my e-mail through Apple's Mail.app, but when it comes to sending e-mail through that same app., I have never been able to send anything out of it.

So why am I able to retrieve my e-mail through Apple's Mail.app, but I am not able to send e-mail through it? Wierd.

Thanks for any help anyone can give regarding this.
They're probably just filtering the SMTP port (port 25) from anything but T-Mobile's servers. A good idea, 'cause otherwise they might help promote spam and viruses that use this to propagate.

B

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yep

Correct, it has nothing to do with your computer.

Short answer is, use webmail.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Many ISPs have an authenticated method for sending mail via other ISPs (Earthlink, for example, uses smtpauth.earthlink.net, with a supplied name and password).

I've been able to use that to send/receive email at my local Starbucks.

the Helix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
I found the answer

All you need to do is change the smtp port from "25" to "587" and then you are good to go!

Hope that this may help anyone else who experiences this problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.