Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
I'm trying to create some rules for Gmail when using Apple Mail to retrieve mail. Gmail does a pretty good job of putting SPAM email in the SPAM folder but it always puts a notification on the Apple Mail icon and I'd rather it not because it appears to me that I've got new mail.

What I'd like to do is any email that is marked by gmail and put in the SPAM folder I'd like Apple Mail or Gmail to not notify me and automatically delete it.

Ideas? I'm new to making rules but I'm eager to learn.

Hrhnick

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2013
I'm trying to create some rules for Gmail when using Apple Mail to retrieve mail. Gmail does a pretty good job of putting SPAM email in the SPAM folder but it always puts a notification on the Apple Mail icon and I'd rather it not because it appears to me that I've got new mail.

What I'd like to do is any email that is marked by gmail and put in the SPAM folder I'd like Apple Mail or Gmail to not notify me and automatically delete it.

I havent used Gmail in a few years, but you could create a filter through gmail.com, to the effect of "is:spam" then "mark as read"
Since its server side on gmail as opposed to a local rule in Mail.app it should apply the second the mail is received, and not send you a notification.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

I would think the GMail junk has a header that IDs it as junk. Pull up one of the junk messages from GMail and look for that header message. The you can make a rule to look for that header string and have the rule delete the message.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.