Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Google Maps vs. Apple Maps

• Google Maps

Votes: 164 53.9%
  • Apple Maps

Votes: 140 46.1%

• Total voters

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Apple maps requires data just like the Google map app.

I unfortunately have a Verizon iPhone so I can't do voice and data. When I'm using Apple maps while on the phone it works unless I miss a turn then it reroutes constantly since there is no data. Very annoying.

No. Apple
Maps uses vectoring so it automatically saves some level of detail without a data connection.

Exclusively use Apple Maps for turn by turn, in the US. Interface is much better than google maps. Period.

POI and street view in google is good though. 3D driving in a city with Apple maps is great!

atmc

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2009
Porto, Portugal
Traffic information: Apple Maps is way better than Google Maps
Rest: Apple Maps is very bad. In terms of POI, it's nearly unusable. Most of the searches either give me the wrong result, or any results at all.

So, I just use it for traffic and turn by turn spoken directions (which I use once a year, because I have built-in navigation on my car). I just feel I can't rely on Apple Maps for the rest, which is very bad. So, overall, I think Apple Maps is not even close of being a substitute of Google Maps.

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Since I travel frequently Apple Maps remain a problem, although they're improving. Give Apple another year or so and perhaps by then they'll have brought maps up to speed. Apple can't be the best at everything no matter how good they think they are.

It's a project they never should have started. Google is simply far better and they understand the task better than Apple. If not for Google the iPhone would be far less useful. Yet I do understand the bias Apple followers have against Google and their struggles to accept that Google does produce some outstanding products. It's just basic jealousy.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Apple Maps vs. Google Maps

Since I travel frequently Apple Maps remain a problem, although they're improving. Give Apple another year or so and perhaps by then they'll have brought maps up to speed. Apple can't be the best at everything no matter how good they think they are.

It's a project they never should have started. Google is simply far better and they understand the task better than Apple. If not for Google the iPhone would be far less useful. Yet I do understand the bias Apple followers have against Google and their struggles to accept that Google does produce some outstanding products. It's just basic jealousy.

That's kind of a BS response.

Would you have said the same about Google starting a new OS against Apples 35 year experience with OS's?

Or Apple getting into the phone business?

Google is a great company. So is Apple. It's a shame they parted ways.

BTW, the google maps interface for pre iOS 6 was made by Apple. Google only provided the data.

Google data with Apple iOS 7 map interface would be great. Buts it's not going to happen.

bigjim83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
I'm sure these guys help as well.

Attachments

• google-street-view-fleet-1343994208.jpg
    google-street-view-fleet-1343994208.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 159

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Has Apple maps caught up with google maps yet? What are your experiences? Searching, points of interest, route accuracy?

What I have found is that Google maps searches are better. I am able to find more locations and it gives a broader search radius. I am unsure of routing though.
I have found a couple of addresses that Google Maps picks the wrong street where both Apple Maps and Mapquest give the correct location and directions.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Never had a problem with Apple Maps.
Then again I don't live out in the cuts so I don't imagine having an issue with Apple Maps staying int he civilized world.

Jmacman78

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2007
Northwest, CT
I live in New England and have used Apple maps extensively for traveling throughout the New England area and it's worked quite well.

Having said that, it's definitely not without it's issue's the POI is horrible, all the POI locations are off. I also tried to find a restaurant in Boston and when we got to the location, turns out it was about a block in the other direction, which Google maps correctly found.

There is also a "No outlet" street near where I live, that's been that way for the latter part of a decade and Apple maps thinks its still a thru-street and thinks I can use that street during navigation which I cannot.

A majority of the time it works great for me. Although Apple definitely needs to put work into their maps as some aspects are really not up to par.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
Haven't had any issues with Apple maps. I stick with it since it is much better integrated into the iOS.

bigjim83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2011
I am still struggling with this. If apple maps POI is crap then why use it? So basically you gotta find where you want to go with a google search then why not just use google maps?:confused:

orioncrystalice

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
Apple maps has come a LONG way and I use it all of the time now, I especially like the newer night theme. Walking instructions need help from what I've seen but I have no complaints driving. Being able to send sets of routes from my Mac to iPhone is a major help too, that's something I didn't think I would be getting use out of but have been.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Google Maps is superior but Apple Maps is lightyears ahead of where it was when iOS 6 launched.

I switched back to Maps on iOS 7 because I like OS integration and I'm not a big Google person anyways, but Google still is superior.

Chabba

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
A big issue for me and Apple Maps is not being able to easily zoom out and quickly see the entire route and move around the map.

Yes, I know you can click Overview, but that takes a few seconds to click, wait for it to zoom out.

Google Maps, you can move the map around while it is navigating. Makes for easy checking of alternate streets while at a stop light.

Searching for gas stations has been better on Apple Maps, which is surprising considering search is Google's thing.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Google maps is much better when using directions. I find that when I'm driving i like to flick the map up a bit to see for my self which street I'm meant to be turning into. Google maps does this quite easily and you just tap the resume button in the bottom left to get the screen locked onto your position again.

Apple maps on the other hand can not do this feature. When you it navigation mode you can not move the map at all without quitting the actual navigation... Completely stupid

----------

A big issue for me and Apple Maps is not being able to easily zoom out and quickly see the entire route and move around the map.

Yes, I know you can click Overview, but that takes a few seconds to click, wait for it to zoom out.

Google Maps, you can move the map around while it is navigating. Makes for easy checking of alternate streets while at a stop light.

Searching for gas stations has been better on Apple Maps, which is surprising considering search is Google's thing.

YES that is exactly what I was trying to say....I just didn't see your post until I commented!

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I am still struggling with this. If apple maps POI is crap then why use it? So basically you gotta find where you want to go with a google search then why not just use google maps?:confused:

For me it's because I prefer the UI of Apple maps and I truly want to use them. But if you get burned a couple times then it's tough.

I try to be smart about it. If I'm going to a specific POI I'll look up it's exact address and enter that. Plus I'll keep a good eye out for it if possible.

Typically in my experience Google has just been better and doesn't require and extra work. I can typically blindly (but safely) follow it. Also here in Baltimore Apple maps will want to take me the wrong way down one way streets, although rare once it does that it doesn't not inspire confidence.

By no means am I saying Google maps are perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.