Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I think Apple should cut out the lawsuit crap, and get in good with Samsung. They can have a "friendly rivalry" between their phone lines, both benefiting while at the same time doing business with Apple buying Samsung displays.

The competition between these companies has resulted in many awesome products!

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
These guys need to hug it out eventually. Samsung makes some decent stuff, so does Apple. Maybe they could create a device called AppSung. Well probably not.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
Honestly, what does it matter if Apple uses Samsung display panels, does it make your iPhone any less useable?

After a long wait of getting my iPhone 5, I love the image quality but couldn't tell who made the LCD panel. It just works exactly as I expected when getting the T-Mobile model that uses the 1700 MHz AWS band for 4G.

It's fast, works fine and if there's either a LG panel or a Samsung panel, is there so much a difference between them? Will a Samsung LCD ruin your iPhone?

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
I think Apple should cut out the lawsuit crap, and get in good with Samsung. They can have a "friendly rivalry" between their phone lines, both benefiting while at the same time doing business with Apple buying Samsung displays.

The competition between these companies has resulted in many awesome products!

In the end it's just business, and that's the bottom line. Both companies benefit from this regardless of any rift. Apple gets great displays for their product, Samsung regains a customer. Win-win.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
Makes sense. Hate them or not, they make some of the best/most reliable displays out there not to mention they are about the only reliable one to handle the enormous orders without a super huge delay.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
In the end, Apple could not live without Samsung, no?

Samsung makes quality products, for the most parts. Best display (I love Samsung plasma nowadays, far beyond what Panasonic can do), there are also ICs, RAM and all essential tidbits. They have the quality, and capacity.

Least glitchy and delay too.

Last edited by a moderator:

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Instead of wasting on over elaborate stores in NY? There's a novel idea.
Unfortunately it must be cheaper to keep producing them this way so until it gets to a cost that is similar they will keep using other vendors.

Why can't Apple just make the displays themselves? And assemble the phone themselves? Get rid of middle men which would get rid of the product leakers! Because they could have Cupertino-level secrecy in an Apple factory too!

Use their billions to make their own Apple factories!

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
honestly.. i wish Apple would use only Samsung components (panels, SSD, etc..) in the upcoming MacBook Airs.. that way, we get to avoid those numerous "which display/SSD does my MBA have" threads.

also.. Samsung, IMO and to many as well, has the better quality components, and I would prefer it to be in the MBA when i get the refresh later this year.

cire

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
Why can't Apple just make the displays themselves? And assemble the phone themselves? Get rid of middle men which would get rid of the product leakers! Because they could have Cupertino-level secrecy in an Apple factory too!

Use their billions to make their own Apple factories!

Components like displays require a huge investment and a single company like Apple cannot afford that investment while still remaining nimble enough to respond to the quickly changing technical landscape. This gives third-party fabs the advantage of scale.

The scale issue also applies somewhat for assembly. In addition, inexpensive labor is the limiting factor there. Countries like China and possibly Brazil, don't just let companies come in and create large foreign-owned 'maquiladora' type operations. Logistically and politically, running operations in China are skill-set of their own, that Apple just doesn't, nor shouldn't have.

Even though Apple designs its own processors, it still doesn't do the fab in-house. Same reason. I personally feel it is smart. Today's tech moves too fast for full vertical integration...unless Apple wants to become a low-margin contract fabricator?

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
In the end, Apple could not live without Samsung, no?

Samsung makes quality products, for the most parts. Best display (I love Samsung plasma nowadays, far beyond what Panasonic can do), there are also ICs, RAM and all essential tidbits. They have the quality, and capacity.

Least glitchy and delay too.
Samsung plasma tvs are inferior to panasonic ones, deal with it. Samsung can be compared to lg plasmas, panasonic is another league.

Last edited by a moderator:

otismotive77

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
apple has decided to shift back to samsung for displays because apple needed large amounts of displays and LG wasn't able to make much. nice decision by apple because now they won't have to delay their products.

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
Well well well, look who comes crawling back.

So true, Apple returns with it's tail between it's legs.

No crawling required. Apple makes strategic decisions regarding suppliers for business reasons. The company will always choose to get the best possible components at the best possible price. Tim Cook's primary area of expertise is supply chain management, after all.

And for Samsung, a buck is a buck. Do you think Samsung's owners care where that money comes from? Besides which, the division of Samsung that is responsible for making displays is completely independent from the one that makes phones.

In the end, those companies that realize that business is business are the ones most likely to be profitable. It's just those of us on these boards who care whether Apple gets components from Samsung or elsewhere. For business execs, to make such decisions on an emotional basis is dangerous (and I think Steve Jobs may have held Apple back on a few occasions due to emotionally charged spur of the moment decisions).

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Its funny because instead of looking at the article and realising that its a Korean paper trying to prop up support for Korean Manufacturing over Japanese or Taiwanese.

People are reading a rumour and treating it like fact.

Read between the line before jumping up and down and crying bloody murder.

Well said!

jack99

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
Bloody so. The Samsung panels utilized for the retina Macbook Pros are far better than the LG ones.

I got called a bloody fanboy for pointing out the sacrifices in quality Apple was making by switching over to LG (and possibly to AUO! :eek:).

I said it once a year back and I'll say it again. Samsung Display is tough to beat on quality AND pricing. Some cheap Taiwanese company could possibly manufacture those displays at lower cost, but...at both a loss and at lower grade quality.

----------

Its funny because instead of looking at the article and realising that its a Korean paper trying to prop up support for Korean Manufacturing over Japanese or Taiwanese.

People are reading a rumour and treating it like fact.

Read between the line before jumping up and down and crying bloody murder.

What you're saying is funny because instead of accepting even a possibility that a Korea-based newspaper is actually stating facts, you're just speculating off that rumor and treating that speculation as fact.

That's not reading between the lines, that's just making stuff up. :D

----------

Well well well, look who comes crawling back.

Kind of like that cheating ex-wife who fought that costly custody battle, discovered that her fling is a complete loser, and now wants back in bed with you!

This could almost make for a cheesy romance flick. I've got the popcorn, someone bring the coke!

:D:D:D

----------

Samsung plasma tvs are inferior to panasonic ones, deal with it. Samsung can be compared to lg plasmas, panasonic is another league.

Inferior to Panasonic? I dunno man. Samsung plasmas have been rated to be among the best in the past couple of years. Even as Samsung keeps gobbling up plasma tv market share, the market for them has been declining anyway.

Sorry man--I myself had high hopes for Panasonic when they acquired Pioneer's Kuro display tech, but that never really translated into a real advantage. If anything, the Japanese market has become more protectionist and Japan's own government has gone as far as blocking Samsung plasmas.

I recall a market economist once making an analogy between a protected company and an overgrown beast that had spent too many years on an isolated island without learning how to battle foes from other lands. Increasingly, when I see Panasonic's, Sony's, and Sharp's shrinking fortunes, I can't help but think the analogy couldn't be any truer.

----------

honestly.. i wish Apple would use only Samsung components (panels, SSD, etc..) in the upcoming MacBook Airs.. that way, we get to avoid those numerous "which display/SSD does my MBA have" threads.

also.. Samsung, IMO and to many as well, has the better quality components, and I would prefer it to be in the MBA when i get the refresh later this year.

I'm no Apple hater and I agree as well. Apple could really shore up on shareholder confidence if they'd prioritize keeping its supply chain as efficient and economic as possible. All this switching back and forth between Samsung and tier 2 suppliers is creating hidden costs for Apple. It's not comforting that some sources are now saying Apple's margins on its devices have declined a bit within the past 2-3 years.

If this isn't a wakeup call, I don't know WHAT is.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
You'd have thought that within however many years, Apple could have sourced some other options.

Tail. Legs.

jack99

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
Finally, the leverage of the expected future US court decision may sway Samsung to play nice with Apple. I'm sure there are deals being made that can't be refused.

Huh? Play nice? Wat?

I'm sorry, but I think you have a grave misperception of the bargaining dynamics at play. Samsung's components division has always sold a variety of customers, Apple being the biggest. You speak as though the lawsuit caused Samsung to beg Apple for its business when really it Apple who abstained from renewing its supply contracts, only to realize neither LG, Sharp, et al. couldn't perform as desired. Why do you think people are jokingly saying Apple has come crawling back?

Samsung frankly doesn't have much of a reason to beg for Apple's business at this point. Apple's business never constituted more than 3-4% of Samsung's bottom line. That includes flash memory, hard disk drives, dram, processor fabbing, and yes, displays. That means Apple's display sales probably didn't go past the 1% mark. Samsung's fortunes have grown enormously on the wake of device sales. It would be silly if not delusional to draw any flimsy links between a lawsuit and supplier contracts or to assume that Apple's pulling out caused Samsung to go bankrupt. If anything, the picture is far different. Things have changed.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Roughly translated: Apple cut Samsung out of its display road map which gave them a far better position to bargain for future contracts with Samsung. I like Cooks style he operates the supply chain like a well played game of chess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.