Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
A phone filming in 4K with only 16 GB of storage :D How long could you film in 4K, 3 minutes ?

Question is, would you really buy a 16GB phone if filming on 4K was your thing? People seem to forget that there are plenty people who all they do on their phone is browse the internet, use some apps, some emails, take few pics and that's it. I know myself quite a few.

Myself I knew what I wanted and went for 64GB.

iPadCary

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
NEW YORK CITY
3 things ....
1] Isn't Apple 2 years ahead, hence, working on "iPhone 7S" now?
2] Doesn't Sony's "Xperia" phone blow iPhone's away?
3] Maybe I'll come home in the Spring ....

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
That's the funniest thing I've ever heard, no not really, everyone on here thinks that Apple invented the Universe.

lol there are some people that think Apple didn't invent the personal computer industry with the Apple computer in 1976.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
People said the same thing about point and shoot cameras.

And that was true isn't it? They are decent, but nowhere near a full frame sensor.

Then again neither is an APS-C sensor, or a full frame compared to a medium format etc.

It is a pointless discussion, however the chap you responded to was right. It is a simple matter of physics. No matter how much you improve and noise reduce etc you will just never get to the same level.

The question is, does it matter it doesn't get to the same level? I don't think it does.

throttlemeister

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2009
Netherlands
DSLR quality imaging... from a sensor the size of a pinhead... Rrrrright...

Personally, I'd settle for acceptable snapshot image quality under more than just bright afternoon sunlight. Hell, even under gloomy autumn heavy overcast mid-day light like we've been having here lately, iPhone camera IQ sucks, as does every other phone I've held. But I guess if your target it to take photos with a phone and only display them on a phone screen, it's ok.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Gotta sell that S update somehow.

iPhone 6S, you say?

suatmm-260x204.jpg

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
DSLR quality imaging... from a sensor the size of a pinhead... Rrrrright...

Personally, I'd settle for acceptable snapshot image quality under more than just bright afternoon sunlight. Hell, even under gloomy autumn heavy overcast mid-day light like we've been having here lately, iPhone camera IQ sucks, as does every other phone I've held. But I guess if your target it to take photos with a phone and only display them on a phone screen, it's ok.

people don't care about picture quality. Instamatic picture quality from the 1970s were abysmal and they sold a lot (and there were better cameras back then if you were ready to spend just a bit more).

That's what worries me. Cannon and the like will be destroyed because people just don't really care (and probably never did... ). Before, those companies could use the mid range cameras to prop up their high end operations (like some car makers with F1 or Nascar), but that's been eroded away.

Even worse, they think their crap snapshots are masterpieces!! So, you get a flood of really bad pictures even though spending just $300 you could make something 10 times better (but obviously not as convenient). I blame the camera makers for their slowness in integrating networking in their cameras for part of the sales downturn.

richard.torble

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
The whole "it will be as good as a DSLR" is as stupid as the "games will be console quality" statement.

They aren't. It won't. At the moment the iPhone can do games as well as PS3 or X360 and when did they come out? 10 years ago?

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
They really need to get that image-stabilization into the smaller model first...

They really don't. It only works on stills on the 6+ doesn't it? I take pictures of my friends. If the shutter is low enough to be blurry without IS then it's not going to benefit me with IS anyway!

RockSpider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
lol there are some people that think Apple didn't invent the personal computer industry with the Apple computer in 1976.
I don't think you can invent something ten years after it was invented, but hey, with Apple I believe anything.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I really wish there was an option to collapse quotes. It's ridiculous when people quote a page long article just to reply to it with a one-liner.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Yes, it won't give you "DSLR quality". However, I think the important question is when this no longer matters. A modern compact can compete with an old DSLR. The first DSLR's didn't even have decent performance (according to today's standards) at ISO 800! It's not a fair comparison to make though, since a modern compact should be compared to a modern DSLR, where they, of course, still lag behind a lot.

However we'll get to a stage where the relative photo quality is of little interest (i.e. compact vs DSLR differences), and the absolute photo quality from a viewer's perspective matters more and more (i.e. how does this well composed photo look; I'm not going to tell you which camera I used).

The smartphone cameras have been eating into compact camera profits for years already and they're winning. I think they're now about to start eating budget DSLR profits.

There are some areas they won't be able to touch though; things like pro quality resolution, dynamic range, and subject isolation. These are directly related to things like sensor areas and lens element sizes. However I think that in 5-10 years, we'll have entered a stage where we have smartphone cameras for amateurs and even prosumers, and compact mirrorless cameras for professionals. I think the amateur DSLR segment will die as well and news like these are the first signs of it. Those DSLR's that people bought to "get better photos than from my compact" but not "to match my composition and portraiture skills as a professional photographer". The recent DSLR trend since 5 years back seems to be heavily influenced by amateur users purchasing them and I think that's where we're going to see changes.

Last edited:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I am interested to see what the Xperia Z4 camera ends up like, knowing Sony they'll announce it at CES. I don't believe for a second that any camera phone will match a DSLR though for a very very very very long time, a pin hole lens can't match a big must glass lens er lens, and a big sensor also.
Although i will say, for a pin hole sized sensor and those tiny lenses, the quality manufacturers have managed to squeeze out of them is something else! I am still looking for my perfect one, I think soon I will find it. It may be Apple if the standard iPhone 6 has a OIS in it, although Sonys digital stabilisation is fantastic and just as good as OIS, but then you need other trickery for low light performance too.

Last edited:

sanook997

macrumors regular
May 29, 2012
Bangkok
Please no more megapixels, can't use all the ones I have now. Also no lens gimmicks, just give me full manual control, that would be awesome.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I use my camera a lot. I hope this will be as good as it sounds. I'm very happy with the camera in my 6 as it is right now... For my needs. The noise doesn't affec what I do with the camera.

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
If display will 3D, then camera should be 3D too.

If the dual camera lenses support 3D photography then I'm definitely buying the next iPhone that supports this.

It's about time cameras moved into the 21st century and support 3D imaging.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
people don't care about picture quality. Instamatic picture quality from the 1970s were abysmal and they sold a lot (and there were better cameras back then if you were ready to spend just a bit more).

That's what worries me. Cannon and the like will be destroyed because people just don't really care (and probably never did... ). Before, those companies could use the mid range cameras to prop up their high end operations (like some car makers with F1 or Nascar), but that's been eroded away.

Even worse, they think their crap snapshots are masterpieces!! So, you get a flood of really bad pictures even though spending just $300 you could make something 10 times better (but obviously not as convenient). I blame the camera makers for their slowness in integrating networking in their cameras for part of the sales downturn.

Indeed.

I've pointed out the sad fact on this forum for a few years now - phone camera quality has gone up along with DSLR, etc - but yet everyone now (over)processes their photos either with apps or websites to make them look like crap. What's the point in increasing picture quality if the majority of use cases is people posting on instagram at a low resolution and applying so many filters it looks WORSE than photos taken in 1970 with a polaroid

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Queue the "I dont want more MP, I want IQ". posts.

Queue "ugh, we need more storage capacity then" posts.

I personally would like an Image Sensor close to the level of a DSLR, 10+mp with improved IQ, HDR, Aperture, etc. Would also love the options to shoot in a Low, Med, High level of JPG quality and un/compressed files too.

It's true. Unless you plan on making huge prints of your phone pictures, 8 MP is plenty.

----------

They really don't. It only works on stills on the 6+ doesn't it? I take pictures of my friends. If the shutter is low enough to be blurry without IS then it's not going to benefit me with IS anyway!

It works on video. You're right about shutter speed. IS does nothing to help with motion blur from a moving subject, only motion blur from the camera moving.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.