Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
There are two very wierd sides to this coin:

1) Apple states the strong response means they might not be able to meet demand. This is acutally a good thing. It means the demand for the product is there, and they underestimated it.

2) Apple warns that the shortage could lead to a weaker second quarter. This could be a bad thing. Does the warning mean the weak second quarter is due to sales that are unfulfilled (lost potential sales), or because supply is lower than expected (lost sales)?

*brain asplodes*

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
I could see them selling out of MBP's for the first month or so and then they would pick up production....I am going to wait until they release the 17" MBP.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...shortages of a brand new Apple product are unfortunately the norm so I am not in the least surprised that the MBP will be in short supply. Of course, this is not all Apple's fault - they do not make the parts that go into these things....oh yeah!

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
Earth
I'm being selfish here, but I have to ask:

Will those with a February 15th shipping date get theirs?

I ordered my MBP at about 18h (6:00 PM EST) on January 10th.

And it's first come, first serve... right?

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
This is nothing new, but I am glad that I am not waiting for one. Apple is the king of delays due to supply problems, etc. But I don't care...I still love 'em.:D

NeuronBasher

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
I honestly don't think that the people that ordered in the first few days have anything to worry about. While we may or may not get them on the dates promised currently in our order status pages, we should be getting them in the "first batch", I would think. People who waited a little longer (read: Those who have dates after 2/15 on their order status page) may have a little more of a wait, but I still wouldn't expect it to be too long.

We all just have to wait and see at this point.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
thegreatluke said:
I'm being selfish here, but I have to ask:

Will those with a February 15th shipping date get theirs?

I ordered my MBP at about 18h (6:00 PM EST) on January 10th.

And it's first come, first serve... right?

Apple has had a history of reneging on promise dates, sadly, so be prepared for the worst. But I'm sure that they will do everything in their power to get you one as soon as they can. And just think that this bodes well for the community. :(

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
NeuronBasher said:
I honestly don't think that the people that ordered in the first few days have anything to worry about. While we may or may not get them on the dates promised currently in our order status pages, we should be getting them in the "first batch", I would think. People who waited a little longer (read: Those who have dates after 2/15 on their order status page) may have a little more of a wait, but I still wouldn't expect it to be too long.

We all just have to wait and see at this point.

While I agree, I also am worried about the whole deal of them having Feb 7 ship dates for those in the UK, as opposed to Feb 15 for those of us in the US. If they're truly going to try to stick to the estimated ship dates as closely as possible, would this mean that even if we ordered before someone in the UK, if their estimated date is Feb 7 they automatically get bumped above us? I'm in the US and ordered within 15 minutes of the online store opening back up, so I'm confident that I should most likely be in the first batch... but if the UK gets special treatment due to their earlier shipping, then......

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
maya said:
Apple and its infamous supply issues, are they ever going to fix the issue either with themselves or vendors. :rolleyes:

Rumor has it that Apple's big stock price crash a few years back was because of massive oversupply of the iMac G3 after they ramped up production and then demand began to dwindle. If that's true, then Apple's "supply issues" might just be signs of their choice to err on the side of caution.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Chaszmyr said:
Rumor has it that Apple's big stock price crash a few years back was because of massive oversupply of the iMac G3 after they ramped up production and then demand began to dwindle. If that's true, then Apple's "supply issues" might just be signs of their choice to err on the side of caution.

Are we referring to the "Blue Dalmatian" and "Flower Power" versions. ;)

If so I can see why. :D

Or the lack of so many lines in the iMac G3 family, that started to just get stupid. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.