Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
Reminder that absolutely no one has ever complained that iPhones are too thick.

basically. My wife a hardcore user of hers and makes hers thicker with a Mophie battery pack for extended use. We have our kid on a busy schedule. Weekends and weekdays can have us on the ye old parental tradition of take kid to hour event, wait and watch a fair bit. No point in going away since you have to be back in an hour. And well....kind of nice for the kid to look up and say look at me mommy/daddy and there is actually a parent there to do the looking. She gets her time killing game on on her duty rotations (we do rotate them out). fact its a decent case a side bene really.

Me...I run a thicker wallet case from portenzo (I like their leather craftsmanship and case designs for phones and pads). A few go to cards in the slots, it has the covering for the screen...I add some thickness to the phone regardless. Wallet phone cases....from my cold dead hands how you will get it from me at this point. Quite possibly the greatest phone accessory invention ever made imo.

I sense money grab for the oh look we have these convenient converters for you. you don't want those icky 3rd party ones....Few phones away I retire the 6's. Get this, its 2+ adapter buys. wife, me, backup(s) since chance of misplaced or forgotten cannot be ignored. As I like wired headphones. headphones can bounce from phone to pad to MBP and even the tv (don't have a man cave, more like a man corner in our room lol). I don't need BT pissing contests over who controls them. Bose never did me wrong so far in over 10 years of various uses of many of their products.

Ofc to not get the look at the typical complainer....if when a feature apple puts this adapter in the box and not having me ask do I get dinner, a kiss or least ky before you have your way with me on the cost (insert lightning cable rant) I'd be more open to change maybe. My mophie's do this. HAs the longer connector cable to plug into the jack since case makes connection without not possible. Of course chance of reasonable price slim to none probably here.

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Since this thread will be amazing soon, any suggestions for wireless earbuds?

Bose is reportedly bringing wireless earbuds to market. I have their wireless over-the-ear headphones and prefer the sound and build quality over Beats. Admittedly, the aesthetics are goofy. Bose didn’t build the Bluetooth hardware into the frame or ear cups. Instead, they attached a removable Bluetooth transceiver to the outside of one of the earcups. The resulting appearance is lopsided.

If you don’t mind on-the-ear headphones, Bowers & Wilkins has a wireless version of their P5. I own a pair of wired P2’s. I think their sound quality is even better than Bose and their aesthetics are the best of any brand.

73b

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2014
East Coast
Not sure if anyone else said/noticed this but a DAC is a digital-to-analog converter, not digital-to-audio.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
To be completely honest I haven't connected a wired headset to my 6S yet. More times than not I connect to my car deck using Bluetooth and when I walk/excercise it's Bluetooth headphones. But I can definitely understand why some of you would be upset.
I still believe that Apple is ditching the Lightning port for Usb-C. Then you will see headphones fitting that connector. And don't be surprised if the iPhone 7 also has wireless charging. 2016 is going to be the year of Usb C.

righteye

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
London
Because people can hear the difference... oh wait they cannot, especially not from phone hardware or what 99.9999999999% of the headphones people buy. Even then your hearing peaks at about 8, by the time you have money for nice things you're in your 20's, by which time your hearing is shot and so it doesn't matter.

Because we are all like you, not.

Last edited:

righteye

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
London
Everybody says something that Apple does is dumb idea. And then many millions of them go out their way to pay extra for Apples "bad idea" instead of the cheaper thicker with more connectors alternative devices from the competition.

Some of Apples bad ideas are bad ideas. But given their current batting average, betting against Apples bad ideas is very often a bad idea.

Thats their quote not mine.

righteye

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
London
That's a limitation of how Apple chooses to deal with the DAC inside the phone. It has absolutely nothing to do with any limitation of the 3.5mm jack.

How, exactly, does this lead to improved audio quality?
i didn't say its a limit of the jack, Regardless of how they deal with it may mean its possible in the future but it a'int now except by attaching the phone by usb to a DAC.

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
Be prepared guys here comes the fraying headphones just like our lightning cables. Plus how about my headphones that I just bought. No wonder why they're selling the Beats wired headphone for $100 off. Lately I've been telling myself the iPhone 6S probably my last iPhone. Android had improved a lot for the last 2 years and some manufacturers sell quality phone for a fraction. Although I invested so much in Apple environment, I don't even think that OS X is the future for Apple anymore. Might as well get a head start so it won't shock when the time comes.:mad:

Last edited:
Reactions: Roadstar

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
You're missing the obvious experience of having used anything but an iPhone.

Unlike your assumption, I've used many different platforms and found that the iPhone and iOS work best for me. So, I'm using what makes me happy.

Thicker is a plus at this point. I've never used a case before, now I need a case just to make the damn thing thick enough to hold comfortably. Uglier -- open your eyes and look around the latest iPhone designs are knockoffs of high end android phones.

User experience, I have to agree with you. When the 5 came out I jumped ship to a galaxy S4 for the bigger screen. Android is beyond awful; the screen on that phone still puts my new iPhone 6s to shame, but android really is horrible, and I'm happy to be back on iOS.

But if the iPhone doesn't have a headphone jack I will keep my 6s as long as possible and suck it up and switch back to android.

I agree, the high end androids phones are looking pretty good lately, but the OS is just so average that I can't tolerate. Until that change, I don't think it'll ever happy with androids. Not only the user experience, I've known many androids developers, they told me the implementation of androids architecture and design is even worse than they thought.

On the other hand, I think the headphone jack is going away for good. It's a very old tech and Apple loves to get rid of old tech, like floppy, cd, dvd, etc....you're fighting an uphill battle my friend.

jamisonbaines

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2007
CA
how useless will your lightning connector headset be when you want to listen to music on your laptop. so now you need 2 sets of headphones with you?

exterminator

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010
Good thing I bought an iPhone 6S then, especially since it will last some time.

If this happens, my next phone will most certainly not be an iphone.

Kar98

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2007
Fine with me.

This is going to be an awesome thread to read in a few days. The amount of "I'll switch to Android!!!" Always cracks me up.

I switched to Windows Phone years ago. Sure, I don't get the latest cat apps and I have to use my bank's mobile web site instead of having a mobile web site wrapped up as an app... but I got a microSD slot, a USB charging port, a headphone jack, I can put music files on the phone without having to use iTunes, and it was a whole less expensive.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
15 pages of fume over a rumour that most likely isn't true
It depends upon the purpose and source of the rumor. If it was a trial balloon by Apple, then the feedback posted here is helpful. Otherwise it is pointless because for all of the posturing and footstomping, in the end everyone who has an iPhone 6 will be upgrading to the 7 regardless of the ports/jacks it has or doesn't.

zaneliu

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2013
Berkeley
If people are unsure, the lightning music output will be a higher quality for music lovers so there's benefits to a lightning music connector. And if they include an adapter then I really have nothing to whine about aside from the charging issue. But if it comes with inductive charging then it's golden.

mikecorp

Suspended
Mar 20, 2008
it makes sense, but I'm more worried about the crappy cable that keeps braking. The plastic without PVC lasts couple months and man you must be careful not to bend it. Apple needs to redesign the cable so it can last longer.
so new bluetooth get update?

tech3475

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
Assuming it's true, personally, I'd find it annoying.

Dongles are annoying and to have to use one all the time on a portable device loses too much convenience for me.

Granted there are wireless options but I've yet to encounter any that I'd take over wired options or they introduce their own issues e.g. another thing to charge, more bulk, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.