Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Poisonivy326

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012
Well, they're already including a pair of earbuds with every iPhone at a cost. So then they're just moving the current DAC to them. But they're NOT upgrading the internal DAC they're downgrading it, which was the original argument I was responding to. So given that scenario, they may indeed save a few pennies. Regardless, there's nothing that says it can't be a loss leader in order to pave the way toward a much more lucrative business in granting licenses to third parties, and benifiting from increased sales of their own products. In fact an increase in DACs for increased sales of Apple's other products might actually provide enough volume to lower the overall cost of this move below what they are currently doing. Certainly they will make money on the assured sales of 3.5mm adapters, and they will surely start saving in other devices like Macs, and iPads and possibly offset the costs. In a company like Apple, these decisions rarely have to be accounted for by a single product.

I've given several reasons why consumers might find some benifit in using the Lightning port (not a new proprietary connector). Whether you personally agree with them or not is not my concern. However, that's not the basis for my comment -- if a customer is NOT using the 3.5mm Jack, or rarely uses it, and Apple has studies which show the majority of their customers aren't using the jack for making audio connections, then it's almost assured that they don't WANT it. Customers using wireless BT accessories already, or AirPlay for instance. I rarely use my 3.5mm jack. When I do use it, it's because Apple gave me a headset I can plug into it, which I do on occasion when I need to make a hands free call and my Bluetooth headset is out of power. But that problem is easily solved if Apple gives me a new set of Lightning equipped headphones. So not only do I not want a 3.5mm port, I don't care if Apple removes it either. If Apple has found the majority of cutomers use their iPhones like me, then they're safe to move ahead and drop the 3.5mm Jack.

I'm sure you've had a nice Christmas break. Time to go back to work at One Infinite Loop, Phil.

Reactions: oldmacs

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
You're wrong. When the iMac was released, the floppy disk was already on the way out. Software (such as games) had been distributed on CD-ROMs since the mid-90s, since stacks of floppys were impractical and expensive as a distribution medium. Zip drives and other formats were introduced around that time too because the floppy was getting too small. There was a need for storage media with higher capacities. There is no need for a new headphone connector.
Well I was there, and the floppy was alive and well. Yes people were moving toward Zip drives, and software was being distributed on the CD-ROM, but CD-RW were prohibitively expensive. One of the most popular accessories for the original iMac was the USB floppy disk drive and was impossible to get at first because of the demand.

As for whether there is a need for a new headphone connector, there may not be for you, but there is for Apple. Just like Apple was likely less concerned about their customers who used floppy disks, and more concerned about the design aesthetic and cost. So I'm not going to be so rude as to say you are wrong, but as far as Apple is concerned, the situation is the same, and it will impact customers in a similar way.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Are you kidding me? Look around on any street, subway or airplane. I'm beginning to think you're just a troll. :rolleyes:
Ah yes, personal anecdotal evidence, emoticons, and accusations of trolling. Not a very good substitute for facts.

As I've said repeatedly, if there's any truth to this rumor, Apple will surely have the data to confirm how many people actually use third party wired headphones, or wired headphones at all. It's unlikely they will alienate the majority of their customer base over a headphone jack. I'm not hung up on being right or wrong here. If it happens then I'm extrapolating why. If it doesn't then, maybe it will with the iPhone 7S. Insisting Apple won't do it in the face of numerous rumors that reinforce each other because of "reasons", seems pointless.

On the other hand, my anecdotal evidence suggests otherwise. So we shall see what Apple's research tells them.

Last edited:

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
I listen to podcasts while falling asleep. And while I sleep, my phone charges. I suspect there is a not-insignificant percentage of people who do this too. Choosing between music and power would be such a pain I couldn't justify an upgrade.

I'd bet money the next iteration of MacBook has 2 ports because people aren't paying a premium for compromise. I think they've probably learned their lesson on this topic.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
I have cans at home and at work. I also have earbuds for travel and commuting. That totals about $800 in headphones. No way I'd replace them just because Apple switched an industry standard jack.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I listen to podcasts while falling asleep. And while I sleep, my phone charges. I suspect there is a not-insignificant percentage of people who do this too. Choosing between music and power would be such a pain I couldn't justify an upgrade.

This is an easily solved problem.

142c5b5e80f1dadc7c46fa251def8b76.jpg

ebdee9ccbb3fd4e064517cd5527c5e9b.jpg

dnyv3xrqtlat1ssnr1f9.jpg

I'd bet money the next iteration of MacBook has 2 ports because people aren't paying a premium for compromise. I think they've probably learned their lesson on this topic.

There is no room to add a second USB-C port to the MacBook, without replacing the headphone jack. I'll wager that there will be a Lightning port in place of the single function headphone jack, offering not only compatibility with Apple's Lightning audio standard, but also doubles as a second multifunction port.

I have cans at home and at work. I also have earbuds for travel and commuting. That totals about $800 in headphones. No way I'd replace them just because Apple switched an industry standard jack.

Again, easily solved with what I suspect will be a $20 in-line Apple adapter for legacy 3.5mm audio products. So no need to replace existing equipment. And I suspect Apple will give you a brand new set of Lightning earbuds with your new iPhone.

And how about this -- a $40 in-line adapter similar to the iPod Radio accessory, which would incorporate an Watch-sized screen instead of the shuffle controls, allowing the user to directly interact with the app with access to all controls of the iPhone, not just skipping tracks, and changing volume. It could also serve as a backup battery, which could kick in when the iPhone is depleted, or self-power the backlight on the remote, as well as other features like noise cancellation. Or for those who appreciate wireless, a Bluetooth dongle that doesn't require a wired connection to the iPhone at all. Users can leave their iPhone in their bag, while clipping an iPod shuffle-sized device anywhere, with complete visual access to the phone controls, and backwards compatibility with legacy equipment.

ipod-radio-remote.jpg

Last edited:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Again, easily solved with what I suspect will be a $20 in-line Apple adapter for legacy 3.5mm audio products.

Great. Something else I'll need to have on me ALL of the time. Goodbye pocket space.

I'm not usually one for lawsuits, but if that really is the solution and Apple makes TV ads with phones floating around in white space that DON'T have little adapter cables hanging off of them
I'll be first in line to sign up for the class-action on false advertising. If it's gonna be a required part of the phone then I'd like to require it in all the ads.

I think you're right btw, and that's what pisses me off.

moxxham

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Great. Something else I'll need to have on me ALL of the time. Goodbye pocket space.

I'm not usually one for lawsuits, but if that really is the solution and Apple makes TV ads with phones floating around in white space that DON'T have little adapter cables hanging off of them
I'll be first in line to sign up for the class-action on false advertising. If it's gonna be a required part of the phone then I'd like to require it in all the ads.

I think you're right btw, and that's what pisses me off.

Sue them based on false advertising!? How would that be false advertising? You can still use lightening cable headphones or wireless ones. You don't have to buy the phone either...

Not to mention the phone isn't even out yet

Reactions: igorsky

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Not to mention the phone isn't even out yet

Can we PLEASE stop with all the comments about how talking about rumors on Macrumors is wrong?

That is the literal point of this site.

You can still use lightening cable headphones or wireless ones.

I plug my phone into so many things that aren't headphones. And in totally different places every day. Even if this becomes some new industry standard it will literally be 20 years before these things get phased out.

It's already a pain that I have to keep track of these things all the time:

image.jpeg

...now I'll have yet ANOTHER adapter that has to go with me everywhere.

Having a new pair of headphones does not solve that.

Last edited:

sanook997

macrumors regular
May 29, 2012
Bangkok
Based on the comments I'm sure there are plenty of you that would still be using 8 track players if the industry didn't force the change. The all in one will pave the way for better things to come...just go with it.

Reactions: igorsky

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015

Actually, no, the adapter will be connected to your headphones, so not false advertising. It ill just be a short 2-3" cable extension to your existing headphones.

I plug my phone into so many things that aren't headphones. And in totally different places every day. Even if this becomes some new industry standard it will literally be 20 years before these things get phased out.

It's already a pain that I have to keep track of these things all the time:

View attachment 608900

...now I'll have yet ANOTHER adapter that has to go with me everywhere.

Having a new pair of headphones does not solve that.

You're in the small minority of customers Apple is concerned with. I remember during the 80s & 90s, I had to keep track of 1/8" to 1/4" AND 1/4" to 1/8" adapters. And this was just to use my good headphones on new mobile gear, and my earbuds on my home equipment. And this WAS the STANDARD!! For people who have such problems using "pro" equipment today, then adding an additional adapter to use Apple products is really not that big a deal.

In fact you might want to get a 1/4" set of headphones, with a 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter that you can leave plugged into the Apple Lightning to 3.5mm adapter. That way it's essentially one adapter you have to keep track of, that separates at whatever legacy plug you need to access.

But I do have to question something ... the pro audio industry standard headphone connector is 3.5mm now. I don't know the last time I saw a 1/4" audio jack in a professional studio. Even the patch bay is 3.5mm now. Yes, there are some legacy equipment with 1/4" headphone jacks, but without exception the adapters you feel the need to carry around with you, are already installed in this equipment. In the rare circumstance the adapter has to be removed to accept a legacy 1/4" headphone plug, it's pulled out of the equipment, and then replaced when finished. So, nothing to keep track of. I'm just curious what situations you find 1/4" equipment intended to be used with 1/4" headphones, where the adapters would not otherwise be available.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobob and igorsky

igorsky

Suspended
Mar 9, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
"Apple shouldn't try to push technological boundaries because I don't want to spend $20 on an adapter!"

- every other post in this thread
[doublepost=1452035694][/doublepost]

If you've invested $800 in headphones then a $20 adapter shouldn't be an issue for you ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: bobob

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
"Apple shouldn't try to push technological boundaries because I don't want to spend $20 on an adapter!"

How is removing a useful connector (As apposed to technologies which were well on their way out at the time), in the name of a bit of thinness "pushing technological boundaries"?

Its just a lazy profit making move. Need new lightning headphones? Ca-ching. Need an adaptor to use your old headphones? Ca-ching.

Never mind the convenience of having the 3.5mm port there, the fact it is a universal port or any of that.

Qbnkelt

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2015
Mid-Atlantic
I'll always give credit to the iphone 3g for blowing the competition out of the water; better features, better OS, better everything. But now, Apple is literally 3-4 years behind all other competitors on the most basic things, while they focus on things that honestly are just not useful or necessary whatsoever - like removing the headphone jack. I mean, it took until iOS 9 for a proper power saving mode - is this a joke? Brand loyalty is silly to me, but I guess some people buy things just because they're Apple. I just buy whatever offers the most/is the best product. I switched to an LG years ago when I realized it offered wireless charging, IR remote, power saving mode, a 3100mah battery, nfc, programmable led, and so much more. It'll literally take Apple until 2020 to reach 2015 level features. But if they ever decide to become competitive and innovative again, I'd gladly jump back onboard.

Yup. I buy iPhones because Apple makes them. If you can direct me to iOS on another device that's not an Apple product I'll consider it.
I personally prefer iOS as my daily driver over the four platforms I use. So yup, I buy Apple products. Personally I don't care about wireless charging, I've got Apple Pay, my battery lasts me a full day of consistent use, I couldn't care less about a programmable LED (got it on both my BlackBerry Passport and my Note 4 and they're not a big deal to me), and I don't care about an IR remote.
So, since Apple offers me iOS which is something I like, I buy iPhones.
What I care about....things like regular OS updates, I get from Apple. (I'm still on 5.1.1 on my Note 4. No Marshmallow in sight. I don't like that.)

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
What is the likelihood that a headphone to lightning adapter will work with credit card readers?
Square, et al will have new versions of their readers out so fast, it'll make your head spin - they'll be highly motivated to keep that gravy train steaming down the tracks.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Square, et al will have new versions of their readers out so fast, it'll make your head spin - they'll be highly motivated to keep that gravy train steaming down the tracks.
I know square has the EMV/NFC reader, but that isn't free (shoot it even comes with the mag stripe reader for free). Devices like Coin and Plastc come with Mag Stripe readers so you can put your cards on the new device.

I guess the question is will Apple reduce or eliminate the Lightning port fee, to make an accessory that uses the headphone port doesn't cost any licensing fees (that I am aware of) currently.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I guess the question is will Apple reduce or eliminate the Lightning port fee, to make an accessory that uses the headphone port doesn't cost any licensing fees (that I am aware of) currently.
I can't imagine any reason why they would.

But I also don't see any reason that an adapter won't work either, though app software may need to be updated.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Well I was there, and the floppy was alive and well. Yes people were moving toward Zip drives, and software was being distributed on the CD-ROM, but CD-RW were prohibitively expensive. One of the most popular accessories for the original iMac was the USB floppy disk drive and was impossible to get at first because of the demand.

As for whether there is a need for a new headphone connector, there may not be for you, but there is for Apple. Just like Apple was likely less concerned about their customers who used floppy disks, and more concerned about the design aesthetic and cost. So I'm not going to be so rude as to say you are wrong, but as far as Apple is concerned, the situation is the same, and it will impact customers in a similar way.

I was a sophomore in college when the first iMac was released without a floppy drive. Yes, it was a bit of an inconvenience, but the floppy had significant limitations even at that point in time. It was extremely sensitive to corrupted data. The storage size was very small. Both of these were a big deal. Even as a relatively poor college student at a state school working a $5/hr work study job to help ends meet, I was able to purchase a CD-RW by my junior year without it being much of a stretch. And it was clear that what the iMac replaced the floppy drive with - usb ports - was clearly the way of the future.

igorsky

Suspended
Mar 9, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
How is removing a useful connector (As apposed to technologies which were well on their way out at the time), in the name of a bit of thinness "pushing technological boundaries"?

Its just a lazy profit making move. Need new lightning headphones? Ca-ching. Need an adaptor to use your old headphones? Ca-ching.

Never mind the convenience of having the 3.5mm port there, the fact it is a universal port or any of that.

Your faulty logic here really astounds me, as do your assumptions. How can removing a "useful connector" be a "lazy" move? It's quite the opposite of that...it's a daring move that Apple is taking the lead on, that every other oem will inevitably follow! So if I were you I'd start getting used to life without the 3.5mm jack, because no other smartphone will be using it in the not too distant future.

As for your assumptions...this may be a profit move or it may not be. You're not sitting in on their meetings so you really have no idea.

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I want to listen to music and charge my phone in the same time.
Too bad there isn't a wireless technology that allows you to listen to music.
[doublepost=1452097074][/doublepost]
Um...how are you suppose to listen to music while charging your iPhone then? If true, this is stoooopid. Unless Apple plans to bring wireless charging to the iPhone 7.
Maybe they will invent wireless headphones... Oh wait...

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I was a sophomore in college when the first iMac was released without a floppy drive. Yes, it was a bit of an inconvenience, but the floppy had significant limitations even at that point in time. It was extremely sensitive to corrupted data. The storage size was very small. Both of these were a big deal. Even as a relatively poor college student at a state school working a $5/hr work study job to help ends meet, I was able to purchase a CD-RW by my junior year without it being much of a stretch. And it was clear that what the iMac replaced the floppy drive with - usb ports - was clearly the way of the future.

So, over a year after Apple set the new standard by launching a wildly successful computer product without any legacy ports, you found that prices of CD-RW drives had fallen so that they were inexpensive enough that you as a struggling college student could afford one? And I'm assuming you had a choice of brands? Is that about right?

Because when the iMac was released, there were two USB products available for it, which had drivers for Mac OS 9. They were an expensive and buggy Epson printer that needed several driver updates before it worked correctly, and an expensive and impossible to get floppy disk drive. It was months before any other select, expensive and compatible USB products became available, and months later still before there was choice of USB peripherals and prices began to fall.

I was working in corporate America at the time, and floppy disks were still widely used well into the mid-2000s. And there's a good reason for that -- floppies mostly stored documents, which took up relatively little room, and they were efficient for quickly moving around documents, in an era where networks and the internet were not particularly quick, reliable, or secure, and 1.5MB of documents was still a lot of bandwidth to distribute and store on servers. Also, CD-R media cost around $2 a disk (CD-RW as much as $10-15 each), and were one use only -- something that was daunting where the capacity far exceeded most file sizes, and early disc recorders were notoriously unreliable leading to routinely trashed discs. Zip Drives were a more affordable reusable alternative, but they weren't a standard everyone could expect another user to have access to.

So what Apple did was toss out the universal floppy disk standard, and delivered a Mac without any kind of recordable media. The iMac cost $1299, after which the customer was expected to spend hundreds of dollars more to replace capabilities which had been built-in just one year before. I'll say again, it was 4 years before Apple offered a built-in recordable media option. So however you remember this, it was Apple removing a universal standard that enabled the explosion of competition which brought down hardware and media costs for both CD-R/W, USB and related storage options, which became the new standard -- a standard by the way was not assured as there were many competing alternatives before Apple helped forced the market into a new direction. In the interim, a lot of people were greatly inconvenienced, waiting for the new standard to become universal.

Robstevo

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2014
Based on the comments I'm sure there are plenty of you that would still be using 8 track players if the industry didn't force the change. The all in one will pave the way for better things to come...just go with it.
Except the industry isn't asking for change, the rest of the industry will continue to use the fantastic, universally accepted headphone jack. And apple and it's fans will be mocked continuously for accepting such a great length.

I might as well just get lubed up now, God knows what else they will be removing from the phone and class it as a feature.

Reactions: oldmacs
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.