Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
One thing I'm just not quite understanding is this "lack of evidence as evidence" kick some people are on...

First, because you haven't seen part leaks for a 5.5" iPhone 6 doesn't mean the device doesn't exist. That's lunacy.

Second, there have been part leaks. Not as many, but it's also being developed in smaller numbers according to rumors. So that makes logical sense.

Third, you claim lack of part leaks for 5.5" iPhone means they're making a 4.0" "6C" version -- but no parts have EVER been even RUMORED for this. Yet you put your faith in that. Someone needs to explain this to me.

Ah but the update to the 5C has been leaked... The parts are already in tons of stores worldwide...

...because they are merely going to slap a 5C case onto the innards of a 5S.

MonstaMash

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011
Thai officials shouldn't have said it was the "iPhone 6" as that name is an assumption and not an official release name. They should have simply listed the model numbers.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Right. More drastic measures would just reflect poorly on Apple. Moving Thailand back to the second launch wave -- where they can't disrupt Apple's launch plans -- of the *next* release strikes the right balance, I think.
IDK, that's what Canon does, they are more secretive than Apple. Doesn't seem to hurt their marketshare.

sdugoten

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
Your part number theory is not a very stable platform to stand on. In fact, you tell us "ignore these ones that don't fit the pattern". You lost all credibility by saying that. Furthermore, model numbers jump around quite frequently, you seem to be ignoring all other products in the Apple line.

Well from the image on the site you linked to, clearly the two new logic boards are larger and one is smaller--the one for iPhone 5S. I guess you see what you want to see...for example, let's ignore this screen that's clearly larger than a 5CS/6C device. leaked screen

China only iphone does have their own naming scheme. But the rest of the Iphone does follow the same pattern, new phone always have a number bump. Moreover, Apple always announce two different iphone model during launch, one new model and one renew model. So, if there is a 5.5" iphone, they should have announce 3 different models, not 2.

I do see 2 larger one and 1 smaller logic board. However, I am saying both 2 larger one is about the same size. If there is a 5.5" model, there should be one logic board which should be significantly larger, and then one is a bit bigger for 4.7", and the smaller one is the 5S.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
THIS. What is the obsession with wanting to call the big iPhone an iPhone Maxi or iPhone air? Seriously? Like a maxi pad or a maxi dress. What's wrong with just calling it iPhone, why do we need to tack on something after it?
It's called a "joke". People make jokes quite frequently in some societies, there're even entire industries based on it. I'll let you Google the word for more information.

LinksAwakener

macrumors regular
May 31, 2011
China only iphone does have their own naming scheme. But the rest of the Iphone does follow the same pattern, new phone always have a number bump. Moreover, Apple always announce two different iphone model during launch, one new model and one renew model. So, if there is a 5.5" iphone, they should have announce 3 different models, not 2.

The phones' models match a pattern similar to the rest of their product line: a phone 'family' usually sticks around, but on a new device, they can jump any which way -- even a one-off number from a prior family.

Apple usually only announces one new phone. Only last year did they announce two. Ergo, your argument has no pattern to base itself on. Quite frankly, they are super likely to continue selling either the 5S or 5C, considering the R&D that went into the phones I can't imagine them stopping manufacturing after only one year--that only happened with the iPhone 5 and the original iPhone.

So, there will be at least one iPhone 6, as well as a lesser cost 5S or 5C. Plus one, as of yet unknown new phone.

I do see 2 larger one and 1 smaller logic board. However, I am saying both 2 larger one is about the same size. If there is a 5.5" model, there should be one logic board which should be significantly larger, and then one is a bit bigger for 4.7", and the smaller one is the 5S.

The width of a 4.7" phone and 5.5" phone are very similar. On top of that, the logic board is going to be extremely similar between models, the hardware isn't expected to be vastly different aside from screen size, battery, and potentially processor (which I personally doubt, but that's neither here nor there). Therefore the only physical differences are going to most likely be just slight modifications in layout. The logic board won't be vastly different.

Anyway, I'm not saying there's going to be a 5.5" version. As time goes on, more doubt is present. But the fact is, there is more likely a 5.5" phone than a successor to the 5C, as nothing has ever been said about the 5C yet the 5.5" iPhone 6 has had potential part leaks etc.

currocj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Earth
Apple get over yourself - give it a rest already. Dimentia-ridden grandmothers know there will be at least one new iphone in the fall. So Thailand leaks out two models numbers. Big freakin whooptie.

Hey Apple, focus more on battery life and less on model number leaks.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
there is no 5.5" iPhone. No leaks = no phone. Now the iWatch may be a different story if it is being manufactured here.

First tangible leak of Mac Pro was 5 days before Apple revealed it to the world. Per that logic, "there is no new Mac Pro" would still be fitting for about 2X more days too. Then BAM! There was Apple springing it on us all.

iWatch has not had a single part so "there is no iWatch". No, there is an iWatch. Why? Because, "it's different" or "it's manufactured here" (where, apparently, we believe that Americans shun personal attention and/or can't be bribed to anonymously reveal blurry photos of parts). :rolleyes:

You guys are hilarious.

Once again, I go back to the money. Include a 5.5" iPhone model and soak up the customers who will not buy a 4.7" iPhone because they want a bigger screen. Bigger screens do sell as proven by the Android crowd. Is Apple smart enough to get that money or will Apple choose to leave it for the likes of Samsung and others for up to another year? If you think the latter, why would Apple refuse to take that money?

Bloomberg & WSJ have reported 2 sizes- one of which includes a 5.5". We just had a protruding lens part that simultaneously "can't be for the 4.7 or existing iPhones" while "there have been no parts leaks for the 5.5". So to which phone does that protruding lens attach? Strategy for the latter group: just ignore that part and continue spinning "no parts leaks" because even "1 part leak" tremendously weakens that argument point.

From our perspective, 4.7" is a BIG jump and 5.5" is gargantuan. However, our Android counterparts are accustomed to Android phones at 6" and larger. To them, a 5.5" iPhone might seem small and a 4.7" might seem much too small. THAT's who would be prime candidates for a 5.5" iPhone. Or will Apple let their money stay with Samsung, LG and others?

Last edited:

LinksAwakener

macrumors regular
May 31, 2011
Why would I come to a rumor site to wait for an announcement?

Because there are smarter, more familiar people out there whose job it is to discount rumors. Feel free to read the rumors, and comment on them, but baselessly discounting them makes you seem snide.

But perhaps you're right. I suppose that is the point of a forum, right? Discussion? Maybe I ought to lighten up...

Last edited:

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
My guess is that this guarantees that no future iPhone will be launched in Thailand in the first wave. For the forceable future at least (after iPhone 6).

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
I'm sure Apple isn't going to make the same mistake twice. Next year Thailand gets their iPhones later than the rest of the world, unless the Thai officials admit their mistake and promise to stop being stupid.

Agreed. I don't think Apple would do it just to be spiteful (Jobs maybe would have). I think they will just feel compelled to not apply for new model approval early, to avoid letting the cat out of the bag. This would mean Thailand would either need to expedite the approval process, or it gets approved and the device sells later than it otherwise would have.

ElTorro

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2013
Spoiler alert! Who would have guessed that Apple is releasing a new phone in the future? /s

Bistroengine

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
Don't get too excited everybody. My guess is the 2nd phone will be an updated cheaper iPhone 5 (with finger print scanner included this time)

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
They don't tweet all devices. Or probably any devices.
If this slows iPhone 5s and 5 sales in Thailand by 10% over the next two months (because people realize that the 6 is that close), then it will cost Apple a few million. It is definitely worth the price of a plane ticket to have a chat.
But the simple solution is just to do this process after the September announcement and if that delays Thailand iPhone sales by a month, so be it. It isn't like Apple can satisfy world demand for the first few months anyway. So there might as well be a shortage in Thailand.

That would make sense if Apple was released iPhones in an unpredictable time frame. Also since this leak was announced on twitter. Anyone who could access twitter, can reasonably be assumed to have heard of Apple's annual iPhone releases over the past 7 years. I don't think new iPhones every year are a huge surprise to anyone anymore.

The details and specifications are secret - and that has not been compromised.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Wait, so people like me, people that willingly fork over a ton of money to Apple without getting the benefits that consumers in America and Europe do - such as access to an Apple Store - are punished because a stupid bureaucrat overstepped his mark?

I hope Apple aren't as petty as some of you are or they'll lose a ton of consumers in a market that they have a very good reputation in.

If Thai officials want to pre-announce Apple products based on inside information, then Apple will simply wait to submit products for approvals in Thailand until after the keynote. It's not about "punishment", it's about containing the leaks, at least from official channels. Or did you miss Tim Cook's comments about doubling down on secrecy?

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
I agree, however it does state to make the information public knowledge and therefore once it is public knowledge it can be twittered as much as it can be reported on in Mac Rumours.

True, but this was just handled unprofessionally. There's probably the back of some obscure newspaper that normally prints this stuff. It may or may not have been noticed there and would probably have just said Apple Model Numbers XXX and YYY have been approved without the "iPhone 6" commentary.

Apple would not have been upset if disclosure came via the pathway you suggest above.

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
NBTC secretary Takorn Tantasith earlier this week released the approval information on two "iPhone 6" models A1586 and A1524, reportedly in accordance with guidelines that require the public announcement of approved hardware

It is not a "Leak"... if that is a rule in their country. Everyone needs to follow our rules in the USA, our companies need to follow theirs.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
That would make sense if Apple was released iPhones in an unpredictable time frame. Also since this leak was announced on twitter. Anyone who could access twitter, can reasonably be assumed to have heard of Apple's annual iPhone releases over the past 7 years. I don't think new iPhones every year are a huge surprise to anyone anymore.

The details and specifications are secret - and that has not been compromised.

Probably if they think about it, people realize there will be new iPhones. But I suspect that a huge percentage of the populace does not know when the 5s came out or have any idea when to expect the 6.

This is also Apple making a point. That there are repercussions or there potentially will be repercussions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.