Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Thunderbolt may replace FireWire

Some people probably think that FireWire is still relevant.

FireWire is still highly relevant. It may become less so in the future, if/when TB devices become available for everything from inexpensive high speed (including backup) disks to digital audio. Some people think that USB 2.0 is still relevant, but, it never was. TB could actually replace FW, something that USB never could, not even 3.0.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
FireWire is still highly relevant. It may become less so in the future, if/when TB devices become available for everything from inexpensive high speed (including backup) disks to digital audio. Some people think that USB 2.0 is still relevant, but, it never was. TB could actually replace FW, something that USB never could, not even 3.0.

ROFLMAO!!! Yea, USB 2 was never relevant, but Firewire sure took the world by storm.

Colin L

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Thunderbolt display

First post, but just wanted to say I've just received the email confirming my display has shipped - ETA 22 Sept.

Cool:)

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2006
No, they had 6-8 weeks shipping time on them so not actually released til now.

Does both displays have to be the thunderbolt variant for daisy-chaining or can you just buy the new one and hook up the old one to it? (maybe even the 24"?)

PseudoRegister

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
Florence, AZ
When will they fix 27" iMac Target Display Mode for PCs?

I am required by my employer to use a company owned Windows laptop. I am lucky enough to work from home, but this means my desk space is shared with my older 20" iMac and my work laptop -- which has only a 15" screen.

I want to connect my laptop to a bigger monitor. I was waiting for the new 27" iMacs only to find that my Windows laptop -- which has a DisplayPort -- will not function work with the 27" iMac.

I'm not a techie or even a near-techie, so forgive if this is a stupid question, but isn't the 27" iMac Thunderbolt issue with PCs something that will also plague the Thunderbolt Displays? Isn't a substantial portion of Apple's display customer base PC users?

Do informed posters think it's just a matter of time before Apple fixes this issue with not being able to use a 27" iMac as a display for a PC sporting DisplayPort, or do you think this was done deliberately by Apple in some bizarre misguided attempt to force users to switch? (Or maybe it was unintended, but Apple simply won't invest the resources necessary to fix it; I imagine there are a fair number of people with current 27" iMacs doing exactly what I want to do who will rule out upgrades unless this situation changes).

Last edited:

Wombert

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
Do informed posters think it's just a matter of time before Apple fixes this issue with not being able to use a 27" iMac as a display for a PC sporting DisplayPort, or do you think this was done deliberately by Apple in some bizarre misguided attempt to force users to switch? (Or maybe it was unintended, but Apple simply won't invest the resources necessary to fix it; I imagine there are a fair number of people with current 27" iMacs doing exactly what I want to do who will rule out upgrades unless this situation changes).

New TB 27" iMacs only support Target Display Mode with new TB Macbooks, and vice versa. My 15" 2011 MBP cannot use a non-TB 27" iMac as a display. Just doesn't work. Must have to do with how DisplayPort is implemented over the Thunderbolt connection (or the other way round, depending on how you want to look at it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.