Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

121055-apple_logo.jpg

Fortune today released its 2010 list of Fortune 500 companies, ranking the world's largest companies by revenues. Apple placed 56th in this year's rankings, up from 71st in last year's edition. Apple's 2009 revenues of approximately $36.5 billion were enough to place it one spot ahead of Disney, which features Apple CEO Steve Jobs as its largest individual shareholder.

With 2009 profits of $5.7 billion, Apple also ranked 26th overall by that metric. And in the Computers and Office Equipment category, Apple ranked third behind Hewlett-Packard and Dell according to revenue. Apple also scored highly in several other categories, including easily taking the top spot in shareholder returns over the past five years with an average return of 45.6%.

Wal-Mart topped this year's list, displacing Exxon Mobil at the head of the pack. One of those two companies has led the rankings every year since Exxon Mobil grabbed the top spot from General Motors in 2001.

Article Link: Apple Moves Up to 56th in Fortune 500 Rankings

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
The turnaround started in 1997 .. Steve Jobs returns

Then Mac OS X, iTunes, and iPod in 2001

Continued Mac OS X refinements and releases

iPhone in 2007

iPad in 2010

the rest remains to be seen :apple:

Bentov

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2007
Good for Apple...

....so are they going to split soon? :confused: That's all I want to know.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
This is because of the market backlash at all the evil Apple is doing -- oh wait, this is good news....

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Wal-Mart is first.....................

no surprise there:rolleyes:

but in california, there is hardly any Wal-Mart...

most of them are in the Midwest.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
where does Dell rank?:D

apple will be there soon......

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1001-203937.html

October 6, 1997 2:00 PM PDT

Dell: Apple should close shop
By Jai Singh
Staff Writer, CNET News

18 comments Yahoo! BuzzORLANDO, Florida--When it comes to the state of Apple Computer, everyone has an opinion.
And at the Gartner Symposium and ITxpo97 here today, the CEO of competitor Dell Computer added his voice to the chorus when asked what could be done to fix the Mac maker. His solution was a drastic one.

"What would I do? I'd shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders," Michael Dell said before a crowd of several thousand IT executives.

Dell's comments follow Steve Jobs's keynote address at the Seybold trade show last week in San Francisco, where the Apple cofounder seemed to win over attendees with his explanation of why he had made certain key decisions, killing the clone market and aligning more closely with Microsoft. The Seybold crowd--as well as some Apple employees--also seemed to be buoyed by the increasing role Jobs has taken on at the company as board member and interim CEO.

But others, like Dell, appear to think that Jobs's expanded role isn't helping. There is some concern that Apple will have a hard time recruiting a top-notch CEO because of Jobs's presence.

Others fear that Apple could end up completely in Microsoft's camp by deciding to use the NT operating system on its servers. Apple is reportedly planning to come out with network computers that would require high-end servers to function.

While many industry executives have offered opinions on how to right Apple's ship, no high-level executive has made as blatant a comment as Dell's.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Wal-Mart is first.....................

no surprise there:rolleyes:

but in california, there is hardly any Wal-Mart...

most of them are in the Midwest.

Wal-mart has 43 super centers and 134 standard stores in the State of California. They also have 33 Sam's Clubs.

Over 70,000 Californians work for Wal-Mart (They are surely one of the largest employers in the state). Wal-Mart spent over 16 billion dollars with suppliers in California in FY 2010. They collected nearly $900 Million in sales tax for the state.

Perhaps saying there is hardly any Wal-Mart in California is a slight exaggeration. I will grant you the Wal-marts per capita in the midwest and south is higher. Wal-mart still has a fairly significant presence in California :)

There are even several in Silicon Valley, but none in Cupertino that I am aware of :)

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Wal-mart has 43 super centers and 134 standard stores in the State of California. They also have 33 Sam's Clubs.

Over 70,000 Californians work for Wal-Mart (They are surely one of the largest employers in the state). Wal-Mart spent over 16 billion dollars with suppliers in California in FY 2010. They collected nearly $900 Million in sales tax for the state.

Perhaps saying there is hardly any Wal-Mart in California is a slight exaggeration. I will grant you the Wal-marts per capita in the midwest and south is higher. Wal-mart still has a fairly significant presence in California :)

There are even several in Silicon Valley, but none in Cupertino that I am aware of :)

A Walmart fanboy. I've now seen it all. :D

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…

One thing about Walmart is that it's very anti-union. At one Sam's Club, the butchers formed a union and the Walmart closed down the entire store. Plus, Walmart has been known to lock employees in overnight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walmart#Employee_and_labor_relations (I know, it's Wikipedia, but people in my union have said the same thing). Whether you're pro or anti union, just thought I'd share.

Back on topic, good for Apple!

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Just another 55 places to go...

...and Jobs will be almost happy. That's just for America...

magpie maniac

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2007
Except that seven of the world's top ten companies by revenue are not American.

Correction. Four of the top ten (nos. 2, 3, 5, and 7) are United States companies.

The US has 140 out of the top 500. Second goes to Japan at 68. The UK has 26 out of 500.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.