Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Music and Sonos have partnered to create a new ad that was shown during tonight's Grammy Music Awards. The commercial comes days after Apple Music officially launched on Sonos, allowing Sonos customers to stream Apple Music content and direct access to Apple Music features like For You, Radio and My Music.

The ad features musical artists Killer Mike, Matt Berninger and Annie Clark using Apple Music on Sonos speakers to "defeat silence" in their homes. The ad and its stars argue that sharing loud music in your home can promote creativity and happiness. Previously, Sonos conducted a study a study on the positive effects of music listening in the home. The study, which used an Apple Music subscription paired with a Sonos speaker, found that families who regularly listened to music in their home spent 67 percent more time together, ate meals together more often and other positive effects.

Streaming Apple Music on Sonos speakers can enabled by selecting "Add Music Services" from a Sonos controller app, selecting the Apple Music logo and logging into the service. Either an Apple Music subscription or free trial are required.

Article Link: Apple Music and Sonos Partner to 'Beat Silence' in New Ad

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
I totally agree with them about music bringing people together and bringing out creativity. I almost always have music on at home and when songs that make you want to dance or sing along with my family come on, it definitely brings us together and more happy in general.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Is Apple Music still corrupting libraries and mis-matching files in the cloud?

maxxodd

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
The only announcement I want to hear from Sonos and Apple is HomeKit integration.

arvacker

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
The only announcement I want to hear from Sonos and Apple is HomeKit integration.

I would like them to start with making all my playlists available on sonos and fixing it in general. No automatic playlists supported, can't change or create playlists on sonos nor can I 'heart' a song! I was hoping this is what the time between beta and public release was for. Guess not.

Cwolk

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2015
NJ, USA
What about Bose?
In 2014 Bose filed a lawsuit against beats for their noise cancelling technology but they settled with Apple before a ruling. Apple then removed their products (but just for a month) from the Apple Store. So I don't think they're partnering any time soon.

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
Is Apple Music still corrupting libraries and mis-matching files in the cloud?

I had a few of those early on but not lately.

It has gotten pretty good. I downloaded the soundtrack from man from uncle and for album-only tracks it matched the songs from other sources if it could (like a Nina Simone song that it could snag from her work directly).

Pretty clever really

Reactions: Keane16

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
I always have the ATV4 playing music at the house. I do not like having to have the TV on all the time now though. With ATV3 and its optical audio-out we did not use to have to. Now it just plays pictures while the sound bar system plays music for hours and hours.

nocturnum

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2014
Europe
Apple - progressing stupidity since 2011. Oh, and music is enjoyable just as much as silence. Only braindead need to be in constant audiovisual hype.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Still can't believe how much power Sonos is wasting on standby in 2015. My old Sony sound system uses 0.5 W in standby, the Panasonic soundbar and sub I intend to buy need 0.9 W. The Sonos speakers sub and bridge would waste 30 W! This is like having half of all my LED lights on all day and night.

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
Love Killer Mike-- very intelligent and empathetic man. Been listening to him on the Bernie Sanders campaign trail.

IGI2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2015
I totally agree with them about music bringing people together and bringing out creativity. I almost always have music on at home and when songs that make you want to dance or sing along with my family come on, it definitely brings us together and more happy in general.
When I looked at your post I thought: "Damn, my screen got broken".

Reactions: Slix

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
I always have the ATV4 playing music at the house. I do not like having to have the TV on all the time now though. With ATV3 and its optical audio-out we did not use to have to. Now it just plays pictures while the sound bar system plays music for hours and hours.

Samsung TV's will let you shut the picture off while you listen to music from the ATV4. It's a pain to have to do that but saves energy.
Maybe your TV has a similar setting.

Reactions: imola.zhp
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.